• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding me? Is this what MC thinks SW&D likes? A sweater that fits like the extra skin left after liposuction and medicore fitting jeans with horrible sloppy cuffs? :facepalm: No wonder why MC has such a negative warped view of SW&D.

If you don't like it, why do people over there spend large sums of money on what appear to be oversized t-shirts with stretched out collars?

As for the jeans, I know that SW&D likes jeans that look more or less like leggings with sagged asses. However, in the interests of brevity...

Pembers

Reaction score

Are you kidding me? Is this what MC thinks SW&D likes? A sweater that fits like the extra skin left after liposuction and medicore fitting jeans with horrible sloppy cuffs? :facepalm: No wonder why MC has such a negative warped view of SW&D.

A bit mean? I'm her for constructive criticism, don't claim to be particularly stylish at the moment (I'm an undergrad, everything comes from ebay/second hand shops), but not sure I appreciate this kind of thing at all.

I'm cleverer than you, and not that impressed or intimidated (honest) by pseudo-pithy internet putdowns. That being said, they doesn't exactly encourage beginners like me to stick at it with SF, and it's probably best for all involved if this site is welcoming to newbies.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, fellow-MC'ers, nothing is gained by bashing SW&D.

Putting on some kind of superiority front because you are, on average,
older then them, on average, is still just a front.

Learn from them at what they are good at. In return, some
few of them will want to learn what the MC guys are good at.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

it's probably best for all involved if this site is welcoming to newbies.

The SW&D WAYWT thread is SF's biggest liability (and just plain...mystery). Invariably, noobs are torn to shreds by the five or six assholes who live there, racking up insults, 'till invariably, they lose their cool and call one of the resident trolls a f*ggot. Then the new guy gets banned. You see it over and over and over again....

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pembers,

Don't let the a*holes get you down. There are a few in every crowd.

Stick around and you'll continue to also get good sound advice and feedback.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
everybody just take a deep breath....

I think there's a definite place for this thread. It's for all the guys like NOBD, or Gshen, or AceCow, or various shots from Mr.K and NYRanger, etc... ie guys who're dressing often in a khakie+buttonshirt+sportscoat or maybe a polo, jeans, and dress shoes, ie a consistent coherent dressy casual look that's quite different from the SW&D gang. I think that's where the range should be for this, sort of a business or dressy casual look, plus a bit of experimentation (eg what ManOfKent does)

that being said, can we seriously just stop debating the thread and just post+critique?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Two different looks from a ways back. I think this balances MC with casual fairly well.

2r79b4g.jpg

2uzt387.jpg

2wm44dy.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Click to enlarge...

(not sure why this image is showing up slightly desaturated)​
I really dig the outfit. Love the pants! Deets on them?
Two different looks from a ways back. I think this balances MC with casual fairly well.
2r79b4g.jpg
2uzt387.jpg
2wm44dy.jpg
I'm really glad you've found time to post. You're looking great. I just wish we had the weather in SoCal to dress like that.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do TB's shoes flirt with the dreaded square toe? I ask because I am looking at something similar yet slightly shorter in overall length.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Click to enlarge...

(edit: fixed the desaturation issue)​
I like this all except for the shoes - it's a take on a saddle that doesn't appeal to me. I think standard saddles would look much nicer.
2r79b4g.jpg
2uzt387.jpg
2wm44dy.jpg
Yes. Well done.
Do TB's shoes flirt with the dreaded square toe? I ask because I am looking at something similar yet slightly shorter in overall length.
They don't look too square to me, but I'd prefer weejuns.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I don't care about the codes. To an outside observer, it looks like crap. If you need to be told something is supposed to look good in order for it to look good to you, it doesn't look good. The one a few posts above looks good, and is one of the ones I would say is in the overlap between MC casual and SW&D. The clothes mostly fit (SW&D's obsession with stacking confounds me), and are neatly presented. The colors are well coordinated. It's a nice outfit.

Are you seriously saying that aesthetic appreciation done from a position of ignorance is superior to one done from a position of knowledge? That you cannot gain more insight into something and develop your taste? That is utter falsehood and everyone reading this knows it.
BTW the four people on the picture aren’t even dressed in the same style. Now I’d easily posit that for many people it would be easier to appreciate most/all of these outfits than MC-casual as the codes are, say, better known by young people. On the other hand it doesn’t mean anyone there pulled it off better/worse than someone trying to do a good MC casual look. Sometimes you have to approach things on their own terms. Fact is I am familiar with “MC” aesthetic and various SWD ones which gives me an, at least minimal, angle of approach when viewing most outfits posted here or seen in the street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads