• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i too was a fran of citan. :)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zQvR7O0.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It was explained to me at hebrew school that choks are choks, and there's a danger in trying to explain them. If you have a specific 'reason' why you think it's being prescribed, then when you resolve that reason you might think you've resolved the chok. There doesn't have to be an explanation for why it's a rule. Most of the talmud as I understand it is explanations of how something will happen/be applied, not whether or not it makes sense to follow the rule.

all that being said, I heard an interesting explanation for the wool-linen one. It's the Cain-Able story. The original hebrew talks about how Able gave the FIRST of his flock while Cain gave SOME of his crop, as sacrifices. The commentaries say it's an important distinction because Able recognized that everything belonged to god (example hadam whoo ha nefesh, the blood is the soul which belongs to god so it's drained from the meat because man is only entitled to the flesh), so Able gave the best of what he had as a true sacrifice, while Cain was arrogant and only gave the leftovers of his harvest that he had no use for anyway, which is why god accepted Able's offering and not Cains. And Cain was angry and killed his brother. One was good, one was evil. One was a sheppard (wool), one was a farmer (flax->linen). So symbolically we never mix the good and evil together.

eh, it's a fun story and one of only a few things I even remember from those days.
Not looking for any sort of religious debate, just sharing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excellent look, CD.

MC, i never heard that p'shat, but its nice.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual Friday

Vest: Corneliani
Shirt: house brand from some store in Florence
Jeans: Jacob Cohen
Belt: Berluti
Shoes: C&J

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, been reading SF for a while now and just registered, cause I gotta ask for the deets on that jacket. Love it.
Thanks! It's a Polo (by Corneliani), silk/linen mix, unstructred/skeleton lined, half belted back with triple patch bellows pockets. Got it from fellow thrifter and all around good guy @ATLjon .

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats real nice, euro. i like your casual game a lot.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ agreed, I think the sweater color and jacket look too close. If the jacke is actually more like brown then I think it's ok but in the picture it looks more orange. So orange jacket and red sweater clashes. Either way overall, I think it's a good start to working with good fits first, then solid neutral color blocks, and eventually patterns and brighter colors. A neutral plain navy sweater for example would have brought it all together.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Unfortunately "Formal Friday" wasn't in the cards for me today. Not sure where this goes so I'm gonna put it here. As always, feedback welcome.

I put this entire outfit together based on the idea of colored shoelaces. In another thread we had discussed the use of colored/contrast laces and I feel that all too often they are used in an incoherent way, sort of tacked on. They end up drawing too much attention to themselves. My goal here was to put together an outfit that made colored laces feel "at home".

I wasn't sure about the square here. I had trouble finding a square that contrasted properly with the jacket, but also matched the vibe of the rest of the outfit. This cotton one with frayed edges felt like it did both, but it introduced a new color. I was unsure if it took away due to that. My hope was that the white in it tied well to the shirt to make it feel coherent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads