1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

I only own a few sweaters but they're mainly Epaulet and SNS Herning. SNS sizing is a nightmare though, I don't know if I'd really recommend them unless you can try it on in person. Epaulet's heirloom sweaters are awesome.

1 person likes this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Even J crew would be way better and they do pretty well with staple sweaters/cardis from time to time.

3. JIMB

JIMB Senior member

@FrankCowperwood these oversize examples are super interesting. I'm wondering what separates them from a plain bad fit, in which everything really is 4 sizes too big. My thoughts:

- they are cut full, but only in specific dimensions. For example the pants length is exactly where it needs to be not to bag, and the waist is not bunched.
    - the material drapes well. Eg the shirt has almost no wrinkles, despite its size. Pants have sweeping, flowing creases, rather than the bags I see on poor fitting pants.
    - body size? Everyone makes this argument, but I wonder if it is easier for someone to "intentionally" wear big if they are cleary not.
    - still image. I wonder how this would look while walking around.

@TheoProf definitely like the latest better, but the not sure about pants fit. Also don't listen to me much, I'm still a newb.

4. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

5. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

It's a Super day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Good questions and good points assessing the fit. I agree that there are certain key areas where a larger volume piece needs to fit to show that you are wearing it that way on purpose. I also feel as if, in contrast to that photo earlier, sometimes a more fitted top can offer a good contrast to fuller trousers. It's a bit of an old school look, I think.

Body size: More volume done well should be flattering for a bigger guy, I'd think. Not so easy to find examples of this I guess, but maybe from some classic Hollywood fits.

In motion, the attention to fit and the flow of the cloth is going to help make it look good too.

Here's a fit with fuller cut jeans:
    [​IMG]

I've also been interested in this Instagram account lately:
    [​IMG]

It's funny. Seems like a lot of the comments focus on the coats and jackets. I'm checking out the trousers.

@fairlynerdy Nice trouser-sock synergy there. Hope you found someone you could vote for... :)

5 people like this.
  7. TheoProf

TheoProf Senior member

@scrolls, the Epaulet sweaters do look awesome...the price not as much! That said, I could imagine them lasting for a very long time. I'll check out J. Crew, but I imagine they are much more hit or miss. @JIMB , I think you offer good advice, one newb to another. :) @FrankCowperwood , there is something very 1950s about the oversize but "cut full...only in specific dimensions". It reminds me of casual wear Ward Cleaver would sport in "Leave It to Beaver", and I think that's a good thing.

8. FrankCowperwood

Yup, the fuller cut is definitely a bit of a throwback these days, maybe even urban culture has gotten away from it (will admit to not tracking that too closely, but seems like that's gone in the skinny/drop crotch direction too).

And poor Ward. Guy always gets the "not that there's anything wrong with that" treatment... :rotflmao:

For sweaters, J Press and O'Connells have some nice Shetland sweaters, though maybe not priced right. J Press in particular you might be able buy on sale. What's your preferred price range (if you don't mind saying)?

9. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

I have been extremely busy these past few weeks and had no time to post or read but from what I can see, this thread is pretty alive, it is great to have so many contributions. Keep it up guys!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. JIMB

JIMB Senior member

@FrankCowperwood nice, I saw that in the nmwa thread. Are those Big Johns? The popover collar looks interesting, any close ups or product page links?

11. TheoProf

TheoProf Senior member

The Ward thing made me laugh. That's exactly the treatment poor Ward receives.

I'd like to keep it in the 150-200 range ideally. Even cheaper, if possible, but I'd rather spend more for something that will last longer.

12. FrankCowperwood

Thanks! The jeans are from WH Ranch. Delivery took quite a while, but he does offer some cuts that are a little outside the norm,

The popover is from Epaulet. Something they ran a few years ago. It's just an oxford cloth fabric with a spread collar as far as I know. They are doing an MTO offer now with individualized shirts with a 15% discount, so something like this shirt would come in around $135.

@TheoProf I think you should be able to get a really nice sweater in that price range, and something that will indeed last a long time.

SF affiliate vendor No Man Walks Alone is running their end of season sale right now and carries really nice knit wear. Note that the home page has an offer for an extra 20% off sale merchandise. Something to keep in mind for later, if you aren't actually shopping right now. The guys who run that store and the guys in that SF thread are very congenial, too. So that's good!

1 person likes this.
  13. Crat

Crat Senior member

4 people like this.
  14. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Thanks FC!

There was only one candidate for me who was above the bar for being even mildly acceptable. But I guess I only get to vote for one anyway!

1 person likes this.
  15. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

whoa, now there's a compliment.

my current hairstyle began a few years ago (my previous hairstyle, R.I.P. 2007-2013, was inspired by my avatar), and was actually inspired by the photo below (from the 2013 WAYWT thread; can't find it on here anymore. mine looks nothing like it, but that's how it began, anyhow). Currently my stylist is 4 hours away (just moved cities, don't really wanna find a new one bc I go back once a month for work), so it's getting cut less often. I kinda miss the insouciance of longer hair, when it looks good, so it is kinda long right now.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. pravda

pravda Senior member

Nice fit moss. Yep your dew is really tight. I've been with my stylist for nearly 30 years, so glad he's 15 years younger than me

17. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

Haven't posted in a while, but you guys are steadily killing it.

@FrankCowperwood

Really digging what you've been doing lately.

A test shot from work yesterday.

[​IMG]
    MTM H. Stockton Fresco jacket
    Thrifted knit (Saks, I think)
    MTM H. Stockton Blue/White University stripe popover
    Barbara Shaum Belt
    Epaulet Jeans (a little on the tight side now, damn you Southern food)
    Alden All Weather Walker no vis

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    15 people like this.
  18. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Very nice @leftofthedial . You do sportcoat + jeans about as well as anyone.

Two recent work fits:

[​IMG]

Polo / Kamakura / EG / Paraboot

[​IMG]

Vintage / EG / EG / MWRxNepenthes

18 people like this.
  19. FrankCowperwood

@leftofthedial Great to see you back and thanks! Nice looking sport coat there...

@Cotton Dockers that Polo in the top photo works really nicely with your style. It's a bit more of a traditional length compared to your EG jackets, which gives it a different look. But the fabric, flapped patch pockets (esp. on the breast), and the tab on the collar make it fit in with your more casual vibe.

1 person likes this.
  20. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

70+ in the 7 day forecast, so I dont know how much use I'll get out of this beast the remainder of this season, but at least I can look forward to it next fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.