• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWN Tailored casual ?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb idea and I'll soon know by the reaction or lack of it.

It seems to me that there are extremes - not always but quite consistently - in both classic menswear and street wear and denim which leave a gap for what I might call "tailored casual"

CM features, quite rightly, a collection of pics of guys in conservative business dress while SW has a lot of the opposite, again correctly, with sneakers, printed t shirts and ultra casual wear.

Is there a place for pics of something in between - men who are not drawn to pinstripe suits, silk ties and polished oxfords and equally those not enamoured of the polar opposite?

This would be a place for:

Sport coats in cashmere, tweed or faux tweed etc and casual suits such as cotton, linen in summer, maybe flannel in winter.

Pants such as cavalry twills, cords, flannels, cottons, denim.

Shoes or such such as boots, loafers, chukkas. Lots of suede!

Ties with texture like knits or cashmere.

Roll necks or turtlenecks (where did that word come from?), sweaters, cardigans.

Shirts with some patterns like ginghams etc or plain but different like denim or darker blues.

I'm imagining something like a deep navy shirt, dark subtle jeans, chocolate suede loafers or chukkas and a deep brown sport coat.

Scarves would be integral in winter, as they are undoubtedly smart and see little exposure anywhere here.

If you think all this is covered and there's no need for it fine. I just think a lot of nice smart but not business outfits might be worthy of a place or their own.

Edit: My camera skills are appalling at the moment so if this gets off the ground I would be doing a disservice by posting my pics...but I promise to look into ways of improving in the near future.

Last edited:

velomatt

Reaction score
BLASPHEMER!!

Just kidding. I agree with you. I gravitate toward CM because the outfits discussed in S&D always seem way too 'hip' for me. But I am not wearing a suit or formal dress enough, and I feel kind of silly posting a pic of my chino/gingham combo.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF0000]BLASPHEMER!![/COLOR]

Just kidding. I agree with you. I gravitate toward CM because the outfits discussed in S&D always seem way too 'hip' for me. But I am not wearing a suit or formal dress enough, and I feel kind of silly posting a pic of my chino/gingham combo.

Positive start!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF0000]BLASPHEMER!![/COLOR]

Most of the WAYWN casual thread seems to be upmarket street wear and denim - at least not much of it would look out of place there - or "casual Friday" dress from the 80s.

Maybe I just haven't explained my idea properly but it would have to be more formal than the CM casual thread but not business formal.

Never mind, just a thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads