• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ways for adults to meet people/leave their comfort zone?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in college now, but the time is fast approaching when I'll be working full time and having even fewer chances to meet people. What kind of things can an adult working full time do to meet people socially/for dating. I'm thinking things like cooking classes, maybe speed-dating, etc. Are there any websites where people post activities for people to meet socially, and are they legit? Any and all serious ideas are welcome!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear being in public and conversing with those around you occasionally works.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport and rec clubs bra. Mountain biking, softball, ultimate frisbee, etc. I suggest two per season.

Also you will learn not to take an hour to decide to hit on a girl, and when you do, you will learn to ask for a number in the first few minutes of conversation. You will have no other choice. And everyone in their late 20s understands so you don't even have to feel bad.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tthornell
meetup.com
Never heard of that site before. There's a ferret meet-up group, a vampire group (looked at the photos and there's actually some really hot chicks in it), and a cuddle group, among other things. There are some truly bizarre peeps out there. There's useful groups too though. I might go to the conversational spanish one.

cougarlicious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tthornell
meetup.com

+1
I've attended several Meetups....while the majority of folks who go are a bit socially awkward, I've met a few normals who I am still connected with even after I stopped going to the events.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh....

BARS. duh. What planet are you people from?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually... church/synagogue/mosque would be the even more obvious answer than bars for the General Population in this country.

Sport clubs, etc. are also great. Any kind of lessons (cooking, tennis, etc.)

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the grocery store... don't knock it. The day a girl actually laughs when I ask "can I squeeze your charmin", I will know I've found "the one".. and I won't spend the night in jail.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Actually... church/synagogue/mosque would be the even more obvious answer than bars for the General Population in this country.

Sport clubs, etc. are also great. Any kind of lessons (cooking, tennis, etc.)

+100. Great meeting you, CR!
smile.gif

jdcpa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
And the grocery store... don't knock it.

I'm so glad someone noticed this technique. I've met more women in a grocery store or a target than any bar or club. Grocery stores and department stores tend to attract 'normal' people. (plus you can survey what they are buying to double check). Bars and clubs always have people who are 'bar-club' people which is great if its your thing...but often a mistake if its not.

Back in the single days I found taking university extension classes in things you liked worked really well. People are at ease, they enjoy the same subject, and it is not competitive. Painting, playing piano, and art history were some of the most useful.

Good luck.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard that some forum members are having good luck with Craigslist Casual Encounters
devil.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I've heard that some forum members are having good luck with Craigslist Casual Encounters
devil.gif

I told your mom not to mention that! (seriously, just kidding... but I could not resist)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I hear being in public and conversing with those around you occasionally works.

wow, I never thought of that. And here I was scouring the net to see if Dutch cuisine lessons yielded more optimal partners than Javelin crafting classes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdcpa
I'm so glad someone noticed this technique. I've met more women in a grocery store or a target than any bar or club. Grocery stores and department stores tend to attract 'normal' people. (plus you can survey what they are buying to double check). Bars and clubs always have people who are 'bar-club' people which is great if its your thing...but often a mistake if its not.

Back in the single days I found taking university extension classes in things you liked worked really well. People are at ease, they enjoy the same subject, and it is not competitive. Painting, playing piano, and art history were some of the most useful.

Good luck.

Huh? You mean like westerners not part of religious orders and stuff?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads