1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

waterproofing trench?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by profjmb, Apr 3, 2006.

1. profjmb

profjmb Member

I have a Burberry Prosum cotton/polyester trench, and wearing it last night I notice that it provides imperfect protection from the rain--it soaked through a bit. Is there some kind of treatment I can/should consider that will make it more impermeable?

2. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Try ScotchGuard or some other similar spray protectant. Try it on a hidden part of the coat first as it may darken it a bit. Let it air out for a day or two to dissipate the chemical odour.

I find I have to respray my trench coat every year or two.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I think this question was posted just before the great SF crash of 2006. The chemicals in the rainwear seem to wear off over time.

Using scotch guard (or something like that) seems (or seemed) to be the general consensus (sp?).

I noticed that my waterproof jacket stopped being waterproof this year. I didn't need it much but eventually I'll probably follow my own advice.

4. Horace

Horace Senior member

I remember you asking the quesiton, but can't recall if there were any responses.

Is Scotch guard what a good cleaner would use? I wonder how Burberry does it? The properties are in the fabric before they cut and sew, I reckon?

5. operationexpat

operationexpat Well-Known Member

You may have trouble finding ScotchGuard. 3M took it off the market because the EPA found it caused cancer or was detrimental to the environment, I don't remember which. I know they were planning on reformulating and reintroducing it, but I'm not sure if that has happened yet.

Sara

6. stach

stach Senior member

Or have your cleaners waterproof it.