• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing leather shoes

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When browsing through Collonil's product line-up, I saw 3 different waterproofing sprays.

Waterstop, Premium Protect and Nanopro.

I know that most on here recommend against using waterproofing sprays on leather dress shoes, but I'm not really sure why.

(Incidentally, Mulberry recommends the first of those products for their leather bags - click the 'Product Advice' tab.)

Are these sprays a bad idea for shoes, or could they be the finishing touch after a conditioner/shoe cream regimen?

StylingUK

Reaction score
From what I understand, the silicon from waterproofing spray will eventually dry out the leather and cause it to crack. Some say that if you polish your shoes properly, its enough to protect your shoes. Others say that its ok to use the spray so I guess just do what you like.

I would use waterproofing spray on my casual shoes and leave out the spray on my formal shoes.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not used the Collonil products linked above but I do use a Saphir product called "Graisse" from the Medaille d'Or line. It contains seal oil and offers some measure of water resistance. I like to use it on heavier boots and "Scotchgrain" type textured leather shoes with rubber soles that I am likely to wear in rain and snow.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my thread title may be a little misguiding: I'm not really looking to waterproof my shoes 100% - I'm curious about whether waterproofing sprays could be used on dress shoes to give them some measure of protection from the elements (especially when combined with leather conditioner and shoe cream).

I spoke to a shoe repair man today, and he said that none of the waterproofing sprays for leather contains silicone anymore, and that using such a spray wouldn't have any adverse effects on leather shoes.

Also, it seems unlikely that a manufacturer of leather goods like Mulberry would recommend such a spray if it was bad for the leather.

So why are these products not embraced more by wearers of fine shoes here? Is it because people feel it's more 'pure' to use wax polishes to obtain some weather resistance, or is there some other reason to stay clear of these sprays?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't waterproof shoes because I find that wax polish does a fine job.

jsherman02

Reaction score
I would not use a "water-proof" spray on any leather shoe. It will do more harm than good.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
I would not use a "water-proof" spray on any leather shoe. It will do more harm than good.

+1

If you want true waterproofing use rubber overshoes (Tingley) or buy Gortex lined shoes/boots.

For modest protection, wax does fine.

Silicone will eventually dry out the leather causing cracking that will appear suddenly. There is no recovery possible.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02

Originally Posted by 82-Greg
+1

If you want true waterproofing use rubber overshoes (Tingley) or buy Gortex lined shoes/boots.

For modest protection, wax does fine.

Silicone will eventually dry out the leather causing cracking that will appear suddenly. There is no recovery possible.

As i clarified in post #5 I'm not looking for true waterproofing. Also, I'm told that these sprays don't contain silicone.

I'm still looking for a serious answer as to why these things - which are made for shoes, are recommended by shoe repair people for shoes and recommended by leather manufacturers for their products - still aren't considered a good idea for fine leather shoes
confused.gif

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
As i clarified in post #5 I'm not looking for true waterproofing. Also, I'm told that these sprays don't contain silicone.

I'm still looking for a serious answer as to why these things - which are made for shoes, are recommended by shoe repair people for shoes and recommended by leather manufacturers for their products - still aren't considered a good idea for fine leather shoes
confused.gif

Anyone?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Anyone?

Better safe than sorry? What do they have in them if it's not silicone?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Try Obenauf's boot oil. It's very good stuff, and won't harm your shoes (actually helps them). It may darken the leather somewhat on lighter colored shoes. But if you put a couple of applications and then polish with wax polish you shouldn't have much problem with rain.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Try Obenauf's boot oil. It's very good stuff, and won't harm your shoes (actually helps them). It may darken the leather somewhat on lighter colored shoes. But if you put a couple of applications and then polish with wax polish you shouldn't have much problem with rain.
I use Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative, with a beeswax base, on my dress shoes to "weatherproof" them. It doesn't waterproof them the same way SnoSeal waterproofs hiking boots, but it's the next best thing. It makes it difficult to raise a shine the first several times I polish them and it will definitely darken brown shoes, so I use Obenauf's boot oil if I don't want a darker color. The oil is not as effective at weatherproofing as the LP, but it's decent and it's a good conditioner. Like AlanC, I'm a fan of Obenauf's products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads