• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing boots

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will Obenauf's also help with salt?
In that it prevents salty slush from sticking to the boots, yes it will help.
But it is no guarantee that you will avoid salt stains.
If I walk through salty water, I wipe my foot wear down as soon as I can. Just a quick stop in the bathroom and a wipe down with toilet tissue helps prevent salt stains. You do want the salt water to dry on the boot.

HanEyeAm

Reaction score

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping in here with a related question!

I just bought these J&M Baird chukkas and they have an "oiled full-grain leather" upper (https://www.sierra.com/product/index/786vr/?colorFamily=01&itemCode=786VR-01-8.5-M). I would like to wear them to work (business casual) on rainy and slushy days.

Would something like the Obenauf's oil be a good protectant, or could these oiled leather shoes handle the LP?
They could definitely handle LP. They will get darker. So you might put a dab on the heel to see how you feel about that. Let it “dry” for a day or so after the test. I think the leather lightens just a bit after you initially apply it.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Obenauf's works well on any smooth leather; I find it better than the sno-seal and bee seal we used on hiking and mountaineering boots back in the 20th century. It's an excellent conditioner as well as waterproofing agent. I don't find the darkening to be a problem. On smooth leather, the darkening is not permanent. It's minor, and it fades as the excess rubs off and soaks in.

It will completely alter any rough-out or sueded leather (like any wax or oil will). So for those you want an aqueous waterproofing, like Nikwax.

You also want Nikwax for any technical footwear that's glued together and is resoleable. Waxes and oils can make the leather resistant to glues. All the climbing shoe / mountaineering boot companies now tell you to use aqueous products, even though these don't waterproof as well as old fashioned goopy wax.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
put them in front of a fireplace, or on a radiator, or in a warm sunny window.... or just use a hair dryer to warm them up. apply with your fingers and rub in. put back in warm place to have it soak in. let them rest overnight. wipe the next day with a clean cloth. wear

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
put them in front of a fireplace, or on a radiator, or in a warm sunny window.... or just use a hair dryer to warm them up. apply with your fingers and rub in. put back in warm place to have it soak in. let them rest overnight. wipe the next day with a clean cloth. wear
+1. I use the hair dryer approach. Two applications are recommended for best waterproofing.

paulraphael

Reaction score
+1. I use the hair dryer approach. Two applications are recommended for best waterproofing.

Hair dryer works well. Work quickly and always keep a hand on the leather near where you're aiming the dryer. If it gets uncomfortably hot for you, it's probably not great for the boots.

You can also skip the dryer. If it's reasonably warm in the room, I find that Obenaufs melts in quite well just from body heat.

I think the best way is to use a sunny window (if you're lucky enough to have one). Put the boots in the sun for a couple of minutes and work on them there. The sun warms up the leather enough that waxes just melt right in.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of, as yet, unworn C&J Coniston. I’d like to waterproof them before wearing outdoors; what are the recommendations for a waterproofing method.
1E136D98-CF89-4548-93CF-7141862233ED.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of, as yet, unworn C&J Coniston. I’d like to waterproof them before wearing outdoors; what are the recommendations for a waterproofing method. View attachment 1541046

outside of a layer of wax cream not much else. Pebble grain leather is pretty thick and already water resistant and those are storm welted. Have at it!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes - the biggest thing to concern yourself with is salt / ice melt - not so much walking on it but if it's mixed in with slush you don't want to get it on the uppers - if left on there it will stain. Nice looking boots by the way!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of, as yet, unworn C&J Coniston. I’d like to waterproof them before wearing outdoors; what are the recommendations for a waterproofing method. View attachment 1541046
Don’t expect to “waterproof” those boots. Fir example the tongue is probably not gusseted so water will get in if you stand in a deep puddle. I would suggest Bick4 to condition the leather. Heavier waxes could darken the leather.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is more what I had in mind. I didn’t envision walking ankle deep through puddles, more saving the leather from the ravages of winter in the northeast.
Thank all of you for your suggestions.
outside of a layer of wax cream not much else. Pebble grain leather is pretty thick and already water resistant and those are storm welted. Have at it!
Don’t expect to “waterproof” those boots. Fir example the tongue is probably not gusseted so water will get in if you stand in a deep puddle. I would suggest Bick4 to condition the leather. Heavier waxes could darken the leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads