• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing boots

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search only came up with "mink oil".

Do any of you have leather foul-weather boots? I have an old pair which I am restoring, they were originally waterproof Pittards leather with a goretex lining. The lining still works to keep out the elements, but the leather's original water-beading capabilities have gone out the window, it kind of just soaks everything up now.

Also it was extremely dried out over the years, I recently put some lexol on it which removed what tiny bit of surface beading capabilities that might have been left. So now it's ready for some waterproofing.

I was perusing the Lincon Repellent but I haven't heard of any one using it. I'm trying to avoid the greasy finish if possible.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think Nikwax makes a product for waterproofing leather - my local moto shop has it and as a lot of motorcycle gear is made of Pittards leather, I would guess that's what they use.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Blundstones for my foul-weather, slummin' it boots. I use Nikwax. Mink wax, over time will degrade the waterproof seams of the boots, and cause additional stretching of the leather, or so I was told.

SSur

Reaction score
Search for a product called, "Biwell", an organic solvent-based conditioner/waterproofer appropriate for full grain and suede leathers. I have used this product sucessfully for 2 decades on all my outdoor and utility boots and I can attest to its effectiveness. Regards!

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got a pair of Bexley Enfields as foul weather boots and started using Saphir Graisse. Good results so far.

venfield.jpg

1704007_zoom.jpg

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get spray-on "Camp Dry" just about anywhere and it works pretty well (I use it on some outerwear). I'm a pretty avid hunter/outdoorsman and put my boots through some pretty serious underwater use. I've tried just about everything at one time or another and the best water-proofer I've found is good old beeswax, as used by most of my friends, our fathers, and I'm sure countless other generations. It darkens lighter leather a little bit but Sno-Seal is what I would recommend.

http://www.atsko.com/snoseal.html

snoseal.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Do any of these leave a greasy finish? Obenaufs, Saphir or Snoseal?

I have used Nikwax before. it works pretty well, however it required additional coating about 2x a season, and I felt that it dried out the leather a little too much.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
venfield.jpg

worship.gif

Between having to pay VAT and Bexley refusing to use cheap shipping to Hungary, those would actually be more expensive for me here than if I were back in the States. I think a trip to France is in order.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used SnoSeal for hiking boots, but as I recall, the instructions say to bake it on in the oven. It does a fine job of waterproofing, but I'm afraid to use it on dress shoes.

For dress shoes and boots, I use Obenauf's, which leaves an oily or greasy finish. If I want to darken the shoes, or if they're black, I use the beeswax preparation (Obenauf's Leather Preservative); if I want to minimize darkening, I use Obenauf's Leather Oil. Because of the oily finish, it takes ~5-10 polishings to raise a great shine.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
worship.gif

Between having to pay VAT and Bexley refusing to use cheap shipping to Hungary, those would actually be more expensive for me here than if I were back in the States. I think a trip to France is in order.

I used my recent trip to France wisely and got 3 pairs of Bexleys.
blush.gif
Hopefully they will refund my VAT and not stiff me like Loding.

I have ordered from Bexley a couple of times from the States and was generally happy with their service. As far as French internet retailers go they must have the most user friendly website. The shipping carrier they use does not usually result any customs duty charged either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads