• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

waterproof messenger bag

deadlysyphen

Reaction score
hello, i'm looking for a nice looking waterproof messenger bag. i really like the following jack spade waxwear industrial field bag, but it's way above my budget, which is 200 max.
jack-spade-field-bag.jpg
saw this on jcrew. it's not as nice-looking, but it is within my budget. the description doesn't say it's waterproof, but since it also uses a waxwear process, do you think it is? please recommend messenger bags that are completely waterproof, somewhat functional, and stylish, in that order of priority. if i can't figure out if the one from jcrew is waterproof, or no one recommends anything, i'll probably get a timbuk2. also, how water resistant are the other jack spade bags? how water resistant is jack spade water resistant?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waxed cotton on the JCrew itself will be quite water resistant, however, without looking at the bag in person, it's hard to tell if water can get in easily.

Also, that bag is likely to go on sale--I wouldn't buy it at that price.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a Filson small carry on in Tan, it's similar in style to the J Crew, you can get it for less than $200 on ebay or some other places. Also it should be more durable and just looks better IMO. I've used mine in pouring rain in NYC and I've never had any worries about the stuff inside getting wet.

deadlysyphen

Reaction score
i should have mentioned this in my original post, but i'm not looking for a bonafide messenger. i will be using it for university and when i travel, so i will mostly be walking around with it. that means no chrome.

i don't like the look of the filson. it seems too outdoorsy or travel-oriented in my mind. i will be using this bag for travel, but also for university, and i just cant see myself using it for class. also, i want a bag that is really functional, and that shoulder strap doesn't look very comfortable. and although you say the bag can be had at 200 USD, i did a quick search, and can't find anything that with s&h would be 200 or less. i actually would prefer the bag to be in the 150-175 range, so i really don't want to pay more than 200.

i know i'm asking a lot, so i'll probably end up with a timbuk2, which isn't as aesthetically pleasing as i would like.

sjd

Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by waterproof? Do you want to be able to fall in a lake with it? I have a Freitag Nightclub I haul my MacbookPro around in and rain has never been a problem.

http://www.freitag.ch

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadlysyphen
i should have mentioned this in my original post, but i'm not looking for a bonafide messenger. i will be using it for university and when i travel, so i will mostly be walking around with it. that means no chrome.

i don't like the look of the filson. it seems too outdoorsy or travel-oriented in my mind. i will be using this bag for travel, but also for university, and i just cant see myself using it for class. also, i want a bag that is really functional, and that shoulder strap doesn't look very comfortable. and although you say the bag can be had at 200 USD, i did a quick search, and can't find anything that with s&h would be 200 or less. i actually would prefer the bag to be in the 150-175 range, so i really don't want to pay more than 200.

i know i'm asking a lot, so i'll probably end up with a timbuk2, which isn't as aesthetically pleasing as i would like.

Check out the Crane's Country store affiliate thread.
There's a discount code for all things Filson.
The small carry-on ends up $169 + shipping.

I'd get a Chrome before a Timbuk2 but I actually use mine on a bike (note: not a fixed gear; I'm not a dreaded urban hipster).

I've got a waxed cotton Jack Spade bag and it's far from water proof. It's probably good for an hour in the pouring rain but anything more than that and the inside starts feeling damp.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a nice compact Jack Gome, made in Paris that I am going to list tonight. My sister lives in Paris and brought it to me as a Holiday gift, but unfortunately I just purchased a BB Brief and have no use for this messenger.

2Scoops

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Check out the Crane's Country store affiliate thread.
There's a discount code for all things Filson.
The small carry-on ends up $169 + shipping.

I'd get a Chrome before a Timbuk2 but I actually use mine on a bike (note: not a fixed gear; I'm not a dreaded urban hipster).

I've got a waxed cotton Jack Spade bag and it's far from water proof. It's probably good for an hour in the pouring rain but anything more than that and the inside starts feeling damp.

+1 on the chrome. not quite business-looking, but really does the job.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you looked at timbuk2's custom options? I have had one of their bags (custom built here) since 2001 or 2002 and it is rock solid. The lining is waterproof so I have no problem running off to class in the rain with the bag out in the open. I have the medium and it is a great size for school stuff. The large and XL are just too big. I could probably get by with the small for most of my day-to-day (I borrow my mothers small sometimes when I travel) but the medium ensures that I always have room for everything. They are bombproof and guaranteed to last--mine looks great after all these years, just throw it in the washing machine every once and a while to clean it up. Mine is in the ballistic nylon but if I was to do it again (which I may someday since I was a little bit too into black when I customized it in high school), I might go Cordura. It is almost as durable as the ballistic and I like that it has a tighter weave with a little less sheen but it is not available right now in many colors right now. I went with the standard bag instead of laptop (when I do carry my laptop, I have a sleeve for it). The only accessory I would say you need is the strap pad to make carrying it more comfortable.

Flursheim

Reaction score
deadlysyphen, first of, I don't think you need a waterproof bag. I've been working with bags for a long time and the bottom line is, if it's stitched, it really is hard for the product to be 100% waterproof. Water resistant is probably what you're looking for. That said, some of the new bags from Arc'teryx are waterproof; they are ultrasonically sealed rather than stitched.

Anyway, if you are considering the Timbuks, may I suggest you also look into Osprey. I've T&E'd some of these and they are pretty impressive. Their new designs are pretty decent too and they fit into the U look.

111_235_lg.jpg

Alec E

Reaction score
I thought I would bump this old thread since I have pretty much the same question.

I'm looking for something to wear while cycling. I had one of Jack Spade's nylon bags and it was pretty waterproof, surprisingly, but I'd like to take the weather protection up a notch. A nice plus would be a zipper, as I always worry about something small falling out of a bag that isn't zipped shut.

I've looked at Jack Spade's tarpaulin bag, which is quite cheap now and in the same shape as the bag I had, but the branding on it ("J A C K") seems quite tacky to me.

I've had a Filson bag before and I find having to undo buckles, anytime I want to open the bag, rather ridiculous. I am also a bit of a skeptic about waxed cotton. A Barbour waxed cotton mailbag I had became soaked as easily as anything.

I had a small Timbuk2 bag, also lacking a zipper, which had the odd problem of dirty street water getting under the reflective outer material, and squirming around in there for hours or even days. I'd prefer something that manages to be reasonably waterproof while using softer materials than that Timbuk2 did, but that's not an absolute requirement.

I'd like something pretty minimalist and neutral looking, if possible. I'm fine with spending up to about $200, or a little more for something really stupendous.

Any suggestions appreciated.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
several years ago, doing a lot of traveling and needing a combination messenger/laptop bag, i found one of these at a magellan store. it's held up remarkably well. it's not flashy ... mine is solid black and a kind of high-tech nylon material but it's waterproof and it has held up to about 4-5 years of very heavy daily use and still looks pretty much like new.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Stone Island by Ortlieb messenger bag which is 100% Waterproof, wont even let air in as it has a TIZIP.

My Aquascutum messenger get most use. Its a coated canvas and leather and as waterproof as you need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads