• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Water polish fail

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to water polish my new C&J Islay. Since I used too much water, I successfully removed the factory finish, which is obviously much darker than the underlying leather. Can you give some advice how to restore the look? This is quite depressing. While trying the polish, I did not see the colour difference. After the leather dried, it now looks like the attached image :/

IMG_4535.jpg

notdos

Reaction score
You used water and what kind of polish?? I can’t imagine water stripped the leather.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Water and clear wax.

Possibly caused by using too much pressure whilst buffing.

I'm sure a good cobbler will sort this. I had a similar problem fixed a few years ago.

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Thank you for the tipps. I did a lot of searching etc. The leather itself is unharmed (even if it looks bad on the picture). I firmly believe that what you can see is the original color of the leather. I guess C&J applies some kind of dark finish to provide a special worn look. If you look around in the web for Islays, old ones are much lighter in colour. I hope i am right and i am going to be able to fix this with some layers mahogany cream and wax. I did some similar polishing on a few pair of shoes and never had such an issue. Sometimes i did not get a good polish. I guess i used too much water and pressure this time, indeed. But i can't imagine i really did rub off the leather in a way i need to recolour it. Let's hope that this is true.

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Last edited:

Chowkin

Reaction score
The leather paint does change the color in a permanent way, right? Is there something in between that does cover better than cream? What about creme renovatrice?

No, crème rénovatrice is used to cover scratches. Can also be used as edge dressing. From AFPOS:

“This little tube of coloured cream has a highly pigmented finish to re-stain leather. It can be used to fill cuts, cover scuffs and most stains. It is not intended to be used as a polish by itself, but used in conjunction with regular cream and wax polish. It is most often used as a welt edge dressing to re-colour the edge of your leather shoes. It can be removed with Saphir Renomat.”

I hate to say it but it looks like you’ve taken off the factory finish and hence the embossed grain pattern. Better to take it to a cobbler cause even if you build up the finish using cream and wax, that area would look like smooth leather.

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Regarding the grain pattern: I own a pair of C&C Coniston, also in Scotch Grain. There also the grain is much lighter on the toe. A rest fo structure is still there. But I will do as so many of you say and go to a cobbler or the like. As I don't know a good cobbler around (Munich in Germany), I will start off with a shoe workshop belonging to a bespoke shoe maker. I guess he should be able to help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads