Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Water drop has made a horrible mess of my shoe...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hougtimo, Sep 25, 2013.

1. hougtimo

hougtimo Member

I bought a pair of Herring Burlington shoes a month or so back (built by Barkers).

When I was wearing them a few weeks ago, a spot of water landed on the vamp from my water bottle that I was drinking from.

On my other calf leather shoes water doesn't make a mark and once it dries out, it's as new. This time it made a permanent mark. I read some posts on here from people with similar symptoms, who were advised to leave the shoes with trees in and it would disappear. I have had them with shoe trees in for two weeks now and it was no better.

Having searched here a bit more, I read about the vinegar trick with a 50:50 mix. I did this, which seemed to help a little bit. I've given it a couple of days to dry out, so today I thought I'd start building up the finish again with some polish. I used the polish that Herring supplied with the shoes (dubbed 'mid brown').

This is how it's ended up:
    [​IMG]

It now looks like the area (front of the vamp) that was the issue has been burnished? The area I dabbed with the vinegar solution still isn't as smooth as the rest of the shoe either.

Suggestions?