• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watching the Wire for the Second Time

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bumping this *****! I couldn't remember anything about the first 3.5 seasons of The Wire so I've decided to go through them again. Just got done with S1E1 and already you can tell how great this show is.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine put all five seasons onto my iPod. It made the five hour flight from Cleveland to Seattle quite enjoyable.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100 greatest quotes from The Wire

It's been long enough, I'm starting tonight (the second time around) with season one

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
It's been long enough, I'm starting tonight (the second time around) with season one

So in other words, you just finished Season 5 the other night?
wink.gif

Izhitsa

Reaction score
This thread has reminded me that I need to watch The Wire for the third time -- I've yet to see a better TV series.

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Bunk: A different look for our boy.

Jimmy: Yeah, Perry Ellis, or something.

Bunk: Now, how would a just-rolled-out-of-bed-looking motherfucker like you, know the designer?

Jimmy: Okay, I’m guessing.

Bunk: It’s a Joseph Abboud. He puts dark buttons instead of brass on his blazers. That’s the Abboud signature.

Jimmy: You know what they call a guy who pays that much attention to his clothes, don’t you?

Bunk: A grown-up.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izhitsa
Bunk: A different look for our boy.

Jimmy: Yeah, Perry Ellis, or something.

Bunk: Now, how would a just-rolled-out-of-bed-looking motherfucker like you, know the designer?

Jimmy: Okay, I’m guessing.

Bunk: It’s a Joseph Abboud. He puts dark buttons instead of brass on his blazers. That’s the Abboud signature.

Jimmy: You know what they call a guy who pays that much attention to his clothes, don’t you?

Bunk: A grown-up.

I see you were watching the episode on The 101 on Sunday night. I was watching that too. It reminded me that Frank Sobotka is my favorite single season main character.

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I see you were watching the episode on The 101 on Sunday night. I was watching that too.

It reminded me that Frank Sobotka is my favorite single season main character.

smile.gif
Just a coincidence -- I'm one of the few Russian (and Russia-based) fans of The Wire.

Boy, was it difficult to understand what they were talking about when I started watching Season 1...

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I think season 2 is the best.

Correct statement.

Originally Posted by Izhitsa
smile.gif
Just a coincidence -- I'm one of the few Russian (and Russia-based) fans of The Wire.

Boy, was it difficult to understand what they were talking about when I started watching Season 1...

I frequently watch with the subtitles on. Marlo and Chris are such mumblin' mutha effas that it's hard to make out what they're saying half the time.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I think season 2 is the best.

+1. I disliked it when I first saw it but I think it's the most complex yet balanced. Ziggy though...

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I frequently watch with the subtitles on. Marlo and Chris are such mumblin' mutha effas that it's hard to make out what they're saying half the time.

Indeed; and Snoop's 'B-more' accent is often quite unintelligible.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nah, Ziggy and Nick kind of kill season 2 for me. They just chew up so much screen time. Plus, The Greek is so ****** as a villain. So far season 1 is in the lead. Season 3 is up next.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics