1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watching the Wire for the Second Time

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Mar 2, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Finished the show last weekend. Good Stuff.

One thing that put me off in season 5 (maybe even more than going a bit overboard on the fake serial killer) is how they tapped the camera phone. I can't find any solid evidence in 2 minutes of googling, but I am 95% sure that is *not* how a tap on a camera phone would work.

You wouldn't see a call being made and then wonder why it was silence or "modem sounds". MMS mesages (or data transmissions) don't initiate phone calls...and when they transfer data, they do it digitally, not with analog modems (heck, you couldn't run your old 56k modem on a cell phone call anyways because the voice lines are too compressed for it to work).
    Intercepting MMS would be similar to intercepting SMS messages...you just do it with a normal computer and are fed info from the phone company. They got this right in S2--they figure out they are texting and they talk the girl at the phone company into letting them peek at the file while her back is turned.
    It may be nit-picky, but the moment Lester heard modem sounds on the tap, I had a big wtf. Its like when less-good crime shows premise an entire story arc around a security camera photo that was enhanced to see someone's face in the reflection of a rear-view mirror (as opposed to in the wire where they just cleaned it up enough to make out a plate).

What are your thoughts on Marlo's origins?
    Obviously there is something to him being off the barksdale radar while they still have the towers. They can ignore the random dealers on the corners since they already have primo territory. Thus giving him a chance to establish himself (especially while Avon is in jail and Stringer is running a low-violence organization).
    But still--he comes relatively out of nowhere. I kind of like the theory I saw that suggests he might have returned from a 2-year tour of duty in Afghanistan and set up shop during season 2. He might have had some drug experience growing up, but finished school and enlisted. He knew how the game worked, but didn't seem to have strong connections (his drugs were noted to be pretty bad before he got with the coop, people only sold them because he muscled them into it). I suspect he served with Chris, who is maybe a little older and was married before deployment.
    It would explain why his crew seems so disciplined and tactical. They are always off practicing their shooting. Chris and Snoop are teaching tactics to their new soldiers, including their paintball simulation scenes with Michael.

Main arguments I can see against it would be that the cops make no reference to it. Once they have Marlo and Chris up on the board, they would have pulled any records they could find and the service records should be included.

2. otc

otc Senior member

And speaking of Marlo's crew playing paintball....did you know there was a The Wire paintball game?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. otc

otc Senior member

And what about his self defense maneuvers during the montage at the end of the finale? The way he takes the gun off the thug is pretty pro. He's got self defense training beyond what people learn on the street.

You might learn how to do that in the military, but you aren't going to learn it in Cutty's boxing gym (which is a step above what the random street crews know how to do).

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

btw i just did three google searches and come up with nothing on Marlo being in the military, did you come up with that yourself?

5. otc

otc Senior member

I saw a youtube comment that said Marlo must have been in the military (due to chris and snoop's tactics) and I ran with it.

The timing fits with the wire's timeline. If he had spent 2 years in afghanistan, starting at the beginning, he would have hit the streets sometime during season 2. I saw someone say that he is briefly mentioned by Kima and McNulty as a new dealer sometime during season 2 (but I can't find it to confirm).

Its possible his initial heroin supply came back from Afghanistan with him. The country is the major producer of opium and he could have done some Frank Lucas (American Gangster) style smuggling to get enough drugs into the usa to fund his startup costs and get a decent reputation with the customers (before switching to the shitty drugs from New York).

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Isn't that pretty much the definition of fanfic? "It wasn't in the show, but it makes sense, so I just went with it."

1 person likes this.
  7. otc

otc Senior member

I'd say there is a difference between writing original fiction using the characters and speculating on the backstory that got them to where they are in the show (especially when the wire plays a lot of points very subtly).

I mean, its never said that Chris was a victim of molestation, but it seems like a pretty clear assumption from his demeanor and actions. This is the same thing--looking at how Marlo runs his crew and how militaristic their enforcement is, military service seems like a plausible explanation for both why he wasn't around in the earlier seasons (working a corner for someone else or something) and why they are so professional about their violence.

Its not like I am taking the shot of Rawls in a gay bar and turning it into a story about how Omar gets away with dropping so many dealers (murder is still murder) because he and Rawls used to have a passionate relationship.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

As an aside, that was one of the moments of pure genius of the show. A quick shot that implied an entire back story and completely altered our impression of a central character. They set up an expectation that it would be revisited that was never satisfied and left us wondering. Brilliant.

9. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I thought it really added an extra dimension to his overly macho persona to the policemen.

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I vaguely remember one of the writers saying that character aspect was going to be explored later but they never found a good way to incorporate it.

11. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

It's not the same thing at all. First, they set up Michael having been molested through a number of scenes, all the way until he shows Christ the man he wants taken care of. The camera lingers on Chris (this is after Michael's vague reasoning and annoyance at being asked why he wants his father in law dead), and we understand that he knows why Michael wants this guy dead. And then later Chris is grilling the guy on why he was in prison, finally unleashing a brutal beating on him. This is why the idea that Chris might have been molested himself is logical. But what you're suggesting, that Marlo was once in the military, fought in Afghanistan, and that he got drugs there and brought them back when he got home, is ridiculous fan speculation, and there is not a single scene to support that theory. What's more, Marlo isn't shown specifically training the young dealers, Chris and Snoop are. Those "military" tactics are theirs, and there's no reason to think they come directly from Marlo. If anything, it makes more sense that Chris is the one who served in the military, considering he's the one who trains the kids, leads a raid for the search of Omar, and wears mostly greens and grays and olive colored shirts.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Watching the first few episodes for the first time in a good long while. People tend to dismiss season 1, and while it's not as good as what would come later there are still some great moments. A lot of them are D'Angelo lines.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Dookie is a singer now

[Video][/video]

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I started rewatching this recently as all the episodes are up on Amazon Prime. Forgot how much I loved it. McNulty might be the greatest TV drunkard of all time.

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

So this came out on blu-ray and now it's 16:9. What the hell?

ETA: http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Basically, they decided to shoot the whole thing in 4:3, then they sold out and gave their approval to butchering it into 16:9, and that's the only option for the bluray. Ugh.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  16. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I never realized until about 2 weeks ago that up and coming star Michael B Jordan

[​IMG]

played soft hearted Wallace

[​IMG]

17. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

He's certainly the most realistically portrayed.