Watching the Wire for the Second Time

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Mar 2, 2009.

1. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

but he has some fucking hilarious lines in the comm stat meetings in season three...

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Yeah, but he does it in the course of ruining the BPD so as to advance his own career.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Rawls is such a piece of shit. Great performance, though. Same with Valchek, that guy is such a weasel.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Stanislaus was Polish so he can do no wrong. Fact.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Did you guys catch Rawls at the gay bar schmoozing with some dude? Hilarious, not sure if many people caught that. Was when they were looking for Omar and asking around for him in gay bars.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Damn son, you talkin' about first viewing observations. Come back when you see that Randy is Cheese's son.

7. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

:puzzled: Seriously? I missed that, despite watching it three times. Or maybe I noticed it and forgot.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Only watched the series once, I have to watch it again now b/c I don't remember who Randy is.

9. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

The kid who ends up in the "system." I don't think it was ever explicitly stated on the show that he was Cheese's son but rather the writer confirmed it afterward.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Ya do know Snoop was an assassin in real life, and was recently (I think last March) arrested for having a brick of heroin in her apartment. Of course, they ran a wire to catch her. Go figure.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

They do make it point to call out the fact that Randy's last name is Wagstaff.

David Simon put all sorts of crazy people in roles throughout the years. Remember the Deacon? If you were to guess who he was in real life, who would you suspect?

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Deacon was a foreal gangster too IIRC. Him and Snoop, I don't know if any other actors were the real deal.

13. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

The one bald cop who showed up in later seasons was the former head of Baltimore PD in real life.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

well decon was the real omar right?

edit: haha i was wrong... but I wasn't that off...

how about when they set up the "hamsterdam" theres a scene in where a white girl brunette buys drugs from a car. she actually turns up 3 years later during those addict anonymous meetings with a half black kid...and eventually has a monologue saying that she has a kid from her dope fiend past but is celebrating a year of sobriety.

its a one of the writer's daughter and she's actually hot when not in dope fiend garb

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I loved the fact that they just kind of buried this information in throwaway shot at the end of a scene, and never brought it up again. Throughout the entire rest of the show, I was waiting for that to "mean" something in the larger storyline.

Working the "real people" that his characters are based on into the show seems to be a David Simon trademark. I went to school with the guy the Steve Zahn character is based on in "Treme" (the DJ), and the guy I know has also appeared on the show a number of times.