• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I am currently a student with a limited budget. That said, I am looking to purchase a new watch. Any suggestions in the $500 range. I am currently leaning towards a Tissot Quickster chronograph with a black leather band (below is a link that I hope works). Any comments on the quality of Tissot watches or a watch in the $500 range I should be considering would be appreciated. http:Tissot Watch

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks similiar to the Tag Heuer Monza re-issue, but not quite as nice. I can't comment on that brand as I am unfamiliar with it, maybe others here are.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot comment on the quality of Tissot watches, but I have seen them offered for sale on websites that sell higher end watches, so I assume that the brand is fairly reputable. I assume that you are looking for an everyday watch that can go with everything from jeans and a T-shirt to a suit and tie. Â To that end, I recommend that you go for a stainless steel model with leather strap or bracelet, traditional round shape, and plain dial (no chronograph). Â Something along the lines of the IWC Mark XV, but at a lower price point. For $500, you might want to consider buying a used watch. Â Watches, like cars, depreciate in value very quickly (excepting Rolex and Patek and a few other premium brands) and you will probably be able to find a 1-2 year old watch with minimal wear selling for upwards of 50% off its original list price. Â I'm in the market myself for a sports/weekend watch that is dressy enough to wear to the office, and I've been scouting out several sites. Â Not knowing your tastes, I can't refer you to any particular model, but you may want to check out the following sellers who have good reputations and good selections: The Watchseller BernardWatch.com Happy Hunting.

Renwick

Reaction score
As was said before, I think used watches would be your best bet. Pstoller posted an awesome link for used watches a while back.Also-Tissot wakes good watches, IMO. Some people say that gucci watches aren't good but mine has served me well and I like it. I owned a few movados that broke- so I would recommend agaist getting one because I am biased.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p posted http://www.wannabuyawatch.com a little on the expensive side IMO, but looks like they only carry very well taken care of pieces and they have a great rep, so they can charge a little more.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought a watch off of ebay?  There seem to be some good deals on vintage watches on there but I am obviously a little hesitant.  thanks.
I know a few people that have, and as long as you are careful and buy from the reputable sellers, you're fine.

JanX

Reaction score
biggrin.gif
In e-bay, beware of copy watches.

pstoller

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought a watch off of ebay? There seem to be some good deals on vintage watches on there but I am obviously a little hesitant.
I'd be hesitant, too. I've bought many things on eBay, but vintage watches are, by their nature, delicate, which means a warranty of some kind is extremely valuable. Some eBay dealers may offer warranty service on watches, but I doubt most do, so I wouldn't pay the same price online as I would at a local shop.

Stone

Reaction score
I'm wondering - is there anyone else here who doesn't wear a watch?

I don't...can't stand the feel of them around my wrist (or really any jewelry for that matter), and if I need to know the time I can just look at my cellphone. The only jewelry-like thing I carry around with me is an old silver ST Dupont lighter.

Sometimes I feel like it looks sort of odd, though, you just expect to see a watch on a person's wrist.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Stone:

I usually don't wear one either. For me it's a conscious choice; I feel less harried and stressed when I don't wear a watch. But I'm fortunate enough to be in business for myself, and don't have many of the time constraints other people do.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always hated wearing watches because of the feel on my wrist, until I was given a really nice one. It took a while to get used to, but now when I don't wear one it feels weird.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I had been bought a watch awhile back and I wore it a couple times, but couldn't stand it. Then I found a great deal on a Gucci watch so I went and purchased it, and there hasn't been a day that I didn't have it on. I've had it for a year and have already had to replace the strap on it, but it's kept prefect time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads