• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches

robgillon

Reaction score
I'm currently looking around at watches and I'm just wondering about brands. I really like the look of Bvlgari watches, can anyone recommend these, or know how they compare with other top brands?

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the above links by gdl are great sites to go to for watch info.

if you are looking for a fashionable luxury watch, bvlgari is a very excellent brand, but if you are looking for more pure type of mechanical watch, there are a whole list of brands that beat out bvlgari.

i dont think bvlgari make their own movements or even make their own modifications to oem movements

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Buying a current, expensive watch comes down to one thing: Do you like it? The only brand that maintains its value is Rolex. Patek will but it will take at least 5 years to get your money back. For just about anything else, figure you would be able to get back about 1/4 of what you paid. And if you buy a quartz watch, you probably won't be able to sell it.

I really like one of the current Baume & Mercier Classima automatics. But at $1600 for a leather strap steel watch from a mid-line brand, the only way I would be able to buy it is to fully come to grips with the fact that I would be bascially throwing away my money.

Another thing to consider is buying a nice vintage watch. They tend to be a much better value. They do require more TLC though.

I don't mean to sound overly negative but what I am saying is based on 20 years experience of collecting watches.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Don, really? I've never sold a watch and I'm not a watch geek but I like nice watches. I suppose I knew Rolexes held their value but does everything else fall off that badly even if one gets a good deal? I mean, IWC, Patek, VC, JlC, etc? I didn't know that--time to start buying used, I suppose.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
Buying a current, expensive watch comes down to one thing: Do you like it? The only brand that maintains its value is Rolex. Patek will but it will take at least 5 years to get your money back. For just about anything else, figure you would be able to get back about 1/4 of what you paid.

This has got to be some of the worst and most inaccurate watch advice I've read in a long time. And I've read a lot...

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Don,

With all due respect, you do not know what you are talking about. There are many watches out there that hold their value and many that appreciate. It's hard to guage which ones will do better than others, but with a little research you can increase your odds. Yes, Rolex holds their value fairly well due to the high demand that Rolex has coupled with some of their limited production (i.e., stainless Daytona). Take a look at Panerai. Their watches on the secondary market sell for just about the same as a new one. In many cases they hold their value better than Rolex when you look across the whole line of each brand. Much of that has to do with their 'limited edition' strategy for just about every model they have, but nonetheless, they are holding their value (even the non-limited editions). Many of the other higher-end brands hold their value well. You just need to make sure you buy it right. Never pay retail.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Hmmm. If I am incorrect, that would be great. But, I'd like to hear of specific examples of current watches that can be sold used for near what one pays.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened to buying a watch you love and keeping it forever?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah. buying a watch (or anything for that matter) should not be about how much its gonna cost when you sell it again in the future. if you really like the bvlgari, i suggest you pull the trigger and wear them in good health, as they say. on a sidenote, i am also looking out for a watch, and i have my sights set on this:
DBCalibre992Silver_small.jpg
a dornblueth & sohn 99.2 calibre. still handmade in glashutte, s.a., germany.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run a older Rolex Datejust which my father used for 25 years that he wished I have in the event he died.

I also have a 40 year old Bulova that I picked up at a estate sale which was never used, cost a pretty penny to have it restored to use, manual wind with the original leather strap.

I would say that watch is something that you use and as such you should have some history with it and a story that can be told.

I did a quick look around the net to look at watches that I have never seen in Calgary and found this as a item to stir conversation http://www.tarrytownjewelers.com/ite...asp?ItemID=993 if what they say is true between the orginal ask and what ever he got on trade all I can say is ouch...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
yeah. buying a watch (or anything for that matter) should not be about how much its gonna cost when you sell it again in the future. if you really like the bvlgari, i suggest you pull the trigger and wear them in good health, as they say.

on a sidenote, i am also looking out for a watch, and i have my sights set on this:

DBCalibre992Silver_small.jpg

a dornblueth & sohn 99.2 calibre. still handmade in glashutte, s.a., germany.

A lot of the time it's nice to be able to recoup something upon sale...

I'd agree with a lot of what previous posters have said. There are many watches that hold their value fairly well, but most of them are pretty expensive. One reason I don't feel too bad about my 1815 purchase was that I could resell it for more or less what I paid for it. That does hold some value to me, whereas if it depreciated 50% the second it left the store like a car...

UMass

Reaction score
Bvlgari fashion brand not a watch company and they outsource their production. Witch is not bad because they are a design fashion house not a watch maker.
smile.gif

I have seen some of their watches and they are good quality and design.

Bottom line is you have to be happy with the watch and not worry about resale value and other's opinion.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UMass
Bvlgari fashion brand not a watch company and they outsource their production. Witch is not bad because they are a design fashion house not a watch maker.
smile.gif

I have seen some of their watches and they are good quality and design.

Bottom line is you have to be happy with the watch and not worry about resale value and other's opinion.

Bulgari bought the Daniel Roth brand and the manufactory, so their higher end stuff does have in house movements.

Lamo

Reaction score
i know nothing about watches but i'm thinking about picking up a chronoswiss. good buy or no? some of the better ones are obscenely expensive, but i was looking at one of the cheaper ones... any advice would be helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads