1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rubber, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Rubber

Rubber Well-Known Member

I'd imagine this is what one would expect from a 16 year old with enough disposable income to drop $1200 on a watch.
    Some of us have jobs, i currently go to school 40 hours a week and hold two part time jobs.

Didn't mean to be disgraceful but i did make my point in the first post [​IMG]

I'll check out the timezone forums, keep the suggestions coming.

2. Rubber

Rubber Well-Known Member

How about a Nomos? The Tangente sport has a decent water resistance (10 ATM) so it is truly versatile. Much higher quality and finishing than most watches at that price point IMO...
    http://uhrenschmuckshops.de/files/no...ente-sport.JPG

That's a beautiful watch but for some reason i have this obsession with metallic wrist bands, but yes that's one beautiful watch [​IMG]

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That's a beautiful watch but for some reason i have this obsession with metallic wrist bands, but yes that's one beautiful watch [​IMG]

You can abolutely add a metal bracelet if you'd like to. Example below from www.timedesign.de

[​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    € 125.- Mesh Bracelet fitting all NOMOS Watches
    3.2 mm thick, weight 43 gr., Made in Germany
    Folding clasp with sideward pushers
    Suitable for Wrist size (circumference): ca. 165 - 185 mm
    Extension Bracelet Links 5 mm/pc. available at + € 5.-/pc.
    Incl. Link Pin Remover for adjusting bracelet length
    If you want to switch from Screwed Bars to NOMOS Spring Bars, we can add 2 NOMOS Spring Bars + Spring Bar Tool at + € 10.-

4. pgoat

pgoat Senior member

I would second a vote for Oris - excellent quality for the money. You get a slightly reworked ETA movement but it's the fit and finish of the case and bracelet that give you excellent bang-per-buck. I bought a number of watches in that price range - including Glycine and others and while the others were nice, Oris really looked and felt like it was in the next league up. I'd buy an Oris before a Tag, which is more $$. Not that they are not nice but Oris is more watch for the money. Plus they have their own look, whilst most other mid-low level watches tend to clone Rolex or IWC or Patek Philippe designs. I found nice Oris watches online for under $750 a few years ago....prices may have jumped a little since then?

At a lower price point, I'd recommend Victorinox Swiss Army (not Wenger) if you don't mind quartz, or Seiko Divers - a bit clunky and thick but extremely durable and probably the best value mechanical.....quite waterproof and the best luminous dial on earth. You could pick up either of these online for under $300ish - or get both, one for sports, one for dress, for $600

either way, I don't know that you would need to spend $1200; only buy the watch you need, and stick the other $600 in the bank .....