Watches with Boots

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Wallflower, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Wallflower

Wallflower New Member

Hello!

I'm searching for advice on a watch that would compliment a pair of boots
    They are Iron Ranger 8119s in Oxblood with Brass eyelets
    I've never owned Oxblood before but have heard it's very versatile color

Does one go with Black, Brown, or Burgundy/Oxblood strap to match?

If there are any recommendations for a watch
    I'm searching for something slim and simple
    preferably with a Brass/Gold toned case under $300

[​IMG]

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Wasn't Watches With Boots a member of the Hekawi tribe, on F-Troop?

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Good question.  As a lover of both boots and watches, I might suggest:

There is no need to "match" your strap to your shoes - or boots.  Same applies to your belt.  It can look like trying too hard, and just like matching a tie and pocket square in classic menswear, smacks of half-baked insecurity.  As you said, oxblood is a brilliant colour because it blends beautifully with any mid to dark brown, even darker tans, and any kind of burgundy.  So that's where you go with your watch strap.

I'd also suggest that given the style of boot (I like that classic style a lot and will be looking those up!), you think carefully as well about the type of watch and strap.  This is very casual, workmanlike, a bit old fashioned/retro so that's the way to look.  As Murlsquirl said, check out the Poor Man's Watch Thread for some great ideas of accessible watches - I'm a regular there myself.  A couple of guys recently posted pics of a large-ish, green-dialed Seiko in a cool tonneau case that's around for under $200, giving you plenty of change for a cool buffalo or worn leather strap.  That's one idea - and the dial would pop against your oxblood boots beautifully.  A older, very simple dress watch, or a pilot/military style would work well.  Look at the Seiko 5 Military range, easily found under $100 as another super easy option.  I bought one for my son and it's amazing value for a "proper" watch.

I don't like fake gold cases myself, and I think a brushed/dull steel number is a nice utilitarian match for your boots.  But brass/bronze is cool for sure, just harder to find in budget.  I am a bit of a mechanical watch snob i.e. no quartz for me usually, so I'd point you to Archimede pilot watches or Helson divers for something awesome in bronze.  That's starting at $1k realistically, but there are used ones around much cheaper.  Still, on your budget, a chunky Seiko, Orient or similar is a good buy for a proper watch - and dull metal on a chunky leather strap is suitably manly in any case, don't  worry about your eyelets!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Sorry, just checked: you can get a brand new Helson diver with a Miyota automatic movement for a shade over your budget. Actually, I think I'm going to have to buy one myself now. Asshole. :)

6. elliekidston

elliekidston Active Member

Hey, I recently bought Gucci classic watch from Attica clothing and I must say they have got quite a pretty collection for both men as well as women. Try it!