Watches - what would you choose

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DubyaEE, Aug 14, 2012.

1. -Ace-

-Ace- New Member

Have you looked at Ball? It would definitely be "less" mainstream, they have quite a few models from 40 to 43mm which would be ideal for a smaller wirst, and they are a quality piece.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

3. DubyaEE

DubyaEE Member

Rooster, that is a beautiful watch. Unfortunately, I am looking for something that can be work for dress and casual purposes. I would also note that I am fairly young (early thirties) and my work environment is not conservative. It's a mix of people that dress in suits and those that wear polos with khakis

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

first link does not work for me.

the MB is cool. Reverso is already in the game, so I'm out. nvm.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

5. AlexG33

AlexG33 Senior member

Considering your budget and the fact you want something rather thin due to your small wrist why not consider vintage, you can find something from great houses like Vacheron, Patek or Audemars at around 4k!

6. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I think the Master Compressor will be too large and thick, given what you've described. Consider the Master Ultra Thin or else a slightly larger Reverso. If doing the Reverso, I'd get the manual wind movement.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

$4K might not get you a Patek, but you can probably find a good vintage AP or VC in that price range.

8. in stitches

WHY DO YOU HATE REVERSOS SO MUCH

9. silvercitynyc

silvercitynyc Senior member

Where are the best places to shop mint pre-owned and vintage watches around NYC?

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

since an avid watch collector told me that these are strictly for wimminz. i would buy one for my wife but never for myself. c'est la vie...

11. TimelesStyle

Are you aware of the term describing avid watch collectors WIS - Watch Idiot Savant? I think your collector friend fits this description well, minus the "watch" and the "savant". His statement to you is categorically false and fails to account for:

1. The fact that JLC markets the watch for men (in the larger sizes).

2. Many men wear them.

3. Perhaps most importantly, the history of the piece. Do either of you know the Reverso's origins???? It was designed in the 1930s for polo players so that they could wear their timepieces without risk of them getting smashed. Polo, at that time, was most certainly a men's-only sport, so the watch was designed with guys (and might I add, guys who ride around on horses swinging sticks) in mind.

While the Reverso, even in its larger iterations, is on the smaller side for a gents piece by today's standards (as far as current trends are concerned, at least) the same could easily be said for the Rolex Datejust, which plenty of men certainly continue to buy. While women are increasingly buying watches initially intended for men, in keeping with the "large watch" trend, that does not, in any way, make them "women's watches".

12. in stitches

dude above spelled it out the long way, but your friend is just plain old wrong.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

no, it was a whole group and all made sense till today. sorry to disappoint you and the dude above. he's blocked from now and can safe his answer, period.

14. TimelesStyle

You know, it would be a lot easier to respond to your insults if you could phrase them in proper English. Just saying...