• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches Pt. II

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
About the same time last year I had a similar thread where I ended up deciding to purchase my Glashutte PanoReserve.
Guess I'm in the same place this year.
Part of me wants a square face watch to "round" (
laugh.gif
pun) out my collection and then on the other hand I think I need a chrono.

What I have:
Longines vintage Mystery Dial
pru001.jpg

Louis Vuitton Tambour (on saffron croc strap)
tambour.jpg

Glashutte Original PanoReserve
wbuys003.jpg

Stowa Ikarus Airman
stowaclose.jpg

Schaumburg AquaBlack II
christmas005.jpg

What I've got a boner for:
Blancpain Aqua Lung
fcdc9b26-a950-4714-a0a8-dbb49497acf0.jpg

Like the style and way it wears; but, have a "diver" already.
Bell & Ros BR-02
fe68a80b-b990-4381-8d67-17eaf018fd7d.jpg

Love the dial; but, have a diver already.
Cvstos Twin Barrel
b81023f4-b668-41ae-a8a0-b68b7b52e339.jpg

Awesome dial, don't have that shape already, RM styling for a fraction of the cost; but, I hear their Warranty is kind of shady.
de Grisogono Instrumento Grande
3e586557-9e7e-4adc-997a-bfd52354d360.jpg

Square, like the colors; but, I'm not a Sultan.
Franck Muller Casablanca
51c371cb-0f17-41fd-ae86-97070ea3dcc1.jpg

I like the case shape and font; but, not a complicated watch from The Master of Complications and I associate it with the homos who buy a fake Crazy Hours with the rainbow dial.
Glashutte Original Senator Chrono
05e2fabf-d9c4-4074-9680-f03a46520e7b.jpg

I love grey/brown and I've liked this for a while and I don't have a chrono.
Glashutte Original Sport EVO PanoDate
990e8430-a2db-49b6-b3cd-2f3f383b296d.jpg

Don't have anything on a brace and it trumps a Sub; but, I have a diver.
Glashutte Original Senator 60s
sixties.jpg

Love the syling, love the caseback; but, feel it doesn't have the same pizzaz as my vintage Longines.
JLC Classique
e27ece99-5a2c-4aac-8c95-2eeca849c40a.jpg

Simple, classic, can engrave the back, don't have a square.
Ulysse Nardin Quadrato Dual Time
92ed1b20-13a4-46b4-ad22-2591261ccebe.jpg

Square, grey dial, not something you'd see everyday; but, the 12 and 3 kind of bug me.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All those watches have "issues" in terms of what you are looking for and what yuour tastes seem to be. You're a big hitter, go for the RM (stay away from that cvstos stuff, everything revolving around the Mueller company is shady), or I think a Parmigiani is up your alley.

shawndo

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sports EVO. It's the best diver for my tastes. Excellent bracelet, curved case, see-through back. Rare if not unique things on divers.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the watches listed, I vote for the Aqua Lung. It is a great, great watch. I am wearing mine today. Get it on the X-71 bracelet; the rubber strap starts off nice but begins peeling and looking like crap after a year or so.

I would get a chronograph (not the GO listed) before the Aqua Lung, however. Look into a vintage Heuer.

singlechange

Reaction score
Do get the JLC Reverso. Keep your Glasshute Pano. That would be an enviable collection even for the purists and Timezone enthusiasts.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for the Blancpain or Jaeger-LeCoultre. Glashutte after that... I like the classics, especially for the higher-end watches. What's your price point or are you just going based solely on aesthetics?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops I meant the Glashutte original.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could you live without a Reverso ?
smile.gif

I would go for the Grande Taille though. Classique is quite small and XGT is too thick IMO

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Of the watches listed, I vote for the Aqua Lung. It is a great, great watch. I am wearing mine today. Get it on the X-71 bracelet; the rubber strap starts off nice but begins peeling and looking like crap after a year or so.

I would get a chronograph (not the GO listed) before the Aqua Lung, however. Look into a vintage Heuer.

+1 on the Heuer. I have the Carrera reproduction in steel and in gold, and they're understated enough to be dress watches. An original would be even better.

Everything above looks gaudy to me, except the Senator (I agree on the Longines) and the JLC. You'd find a better looking tank in vintage, I think.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd go Reverso, but in rose or yellow gold. I don't love it in SS.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beleive I am the dissenting opinion on the Franck Muller. The Casablanca is a classic Tonneau shaped watch, that when on the wrist is a sharp timepeice. A white dial with black croc strap is part of my collection. Yes the crazy hours is a bit much, but sticking with the classic Casablanca is a solid choice.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
All those watches have "issues" in terms of what you are looking for and what yuour tastes seem to be. You're a big hitter, go for the RM (stay away from that cvstos stuff, everything revolving around the Mueller company is shady), or I think a Parmigiani is up your alley.

Yes but this is MY moolah. If it were Gramps that was going to pony up the dough I would have gone to Chatel last time I was home and got one.

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Can I see your wrist show? I do like it on the bracelet; but, when I tried that version on it was the big date one.

Originally Posted by singlechange
Do get the JLC Reverso. Keep your Glasshute Pano. That would be an enviable collection even for the purists and Timezone enthusiasts.

I wasn't going to sell anything.

Originally Posted by academe
I vote for the Blancpain or Jaeger-LeCoultre. Glashutte after that... I like the classics, especially for the higher-end watches. What's your price point or are you just going based solely on aesthetics?

Price point if I buy here in NY is like 5-10k; but, if I hit up one of my friends I may be able to get something at cost which could mean two watches off the list or a $13,000 watch that they would sell me at cost instead.

Originally Posted by gdl203
How could you live without a Reverso ?
smile.gif

My Mom saw that last time we were together and said if I want that she'll buy it for me and it will be engraved with "Love Mom" on the back.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I'd go Reverso, but in rose or yellow gold. I don't love it in SS.

While not neccisarily the Reverso, I was contemplating getting something in a precious metal being that a few of the brands I listed I could get at Cost-30% off.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the Reverso is the hands-down choice. You seem to like your watches, and it's really indispensable to any serious collection. Aesthetically, it's also the most likely to stay good-looking to you given that it's a classic. If I buy another watch any time soon, it would be a Reverso--probably the Grande Date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads