• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches losing popularity

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of the aficionados in the fields that I collect can often become tedious, especially those who "know" people. God, save me from the dilettantes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sigh...back to the topic at hand:

I personally find a watch more convenient, since I have to go into my pocket and bull out the cell phone to read the time, whereas the watch is right there on my wrist. Also, it's less intrusive and weighs quite a bit less, when looking at the subject merely as a timekeeping device.

Jon.

swiego

Reaction score
FWIW, I haven't carried a watch since I was a teenager, and that was 10 years ago. Ever since working, I've had to carry work phones, PDAs, pagers, just about every class of electronic device there is at some point or another. I'm completely happy without a watch and have never felt the need for one. I figure that with the amount of time I'm at home (clocks), shopping (clocks), driving (car clock), talking on the phone (clock) or listening to music with a portable MP3 player (clock) it's pretty rare that I need to even inconvenience myself to know the time. And, not having a watch, I don't think I dwell too much on clockwatching either.

Chalk me up also as one who doesn't understand why people would pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for technology that is hundreds of years old, when the time is displayed in just about every device we own.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swiego
Chalk me up also as one who doesn't understand why people would pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for technology that is hundreds of years old, when the time is displayed in just about every device we own.
Why do people spend $50,000 restoring a car that has 40+ year old technology, possibly no AC, and that's really only worth $10,000 at most?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because they have a lot of disposable income?
I've noticed people who do these types of restorations are never the ones with lots of disposable income. Schoolteachers, and middle-class types.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score

One word: Elegance.

The mechanical wristwatch is one of the most ingenious pieces of technology ever created. As long as you wind it once a day, it acts as the closest thing to a perpetual motion machine you are ever likely to encounter.

My early 60s LeCoultre manual is more accurate than the clock on my mobile phone. What's up with that? My LeCoultre is also 14 kt. gold and weighs a negligible fraction of what my cell phone weighs. I paid $300 for my LeCoultre and put another $200 into an overhaul and a band. I paid over $200 for my cell phone and pay around $60 per month to be saddled with this odious bit of technological filth. Although my mobile is supposed to have full international functionality, it was mere dead weight on my business trip to the States last week. For reasons yet to be determined, it told me I was out of range. Meanwhile, I'm paying for international service. The US representative of the company could not be reached.

My LeCoultre didn't notice it was half a world away from its usual haunts. I reset the time and away it ticked. keeping faithful time and keeping me on time to meetings throughout the week with a discreet glance at my wrist. It also receives a lot of compliments, which my cell phone never does.

All in all, I find the cell phone to be a dismal solution to timekeeping. Again, it basically boils down to elegance.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many bands is your phone? You probably don't have a tri-band or quad-band phone.

I agree with your watch perceptions. The Omega my grandfather left me will outlast me AND my grandchildren; I can't say the same thing about my LG phone.

Jon.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

I agree with your watch perceptions. The Omega my grandfather left me will outlast me AND my grandchildren; I can't say the same thing about my LG phone.

Exactly, fine timepieces are legacy. (Sorry if that sounds like a PP commercial). Historically, they were a gentleman's most personal possession. Upon passing, all else might be liquidated but the timepiece was handed down. In my mind, no such consideration of provenance would be made for something digital.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Exactly, fine timepieces are legacy. (Sorry if that sounds like a PP commercial). Historically, they were a gentleman's most personal possession. Upon passing, all else might be liquidated but the timepiece was handed down. In my mind, no such consideration of provenance would be made for something digital.
Have you seen the Vertu cellphone marketing schemes? They claim it's an heirloom. Of course, making it out of materials like platinum, and such one would be compelled to think of it as an heirloom simply for future collateral purposes.

vertu_phone.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Have you seen the Vertu cellphone marketing schemes? They claim it's an heirloom. Of course, making it out of materials like platinum, and such one would be compelled to think of it as an heirloom simply for future collateral purposes.
vertu_phone.jpg

You think the technology in the Vertu will be used / useable in 20 years? Jon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You think the technology in the Vertu will be used / useable in 20 years?

Jon.

It is already long in the tooth. Bejewelled tech is IMHO completely daft.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bejeweled cell phones make as much sense to me as bejeweled teeth...

Jon.

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads