1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watches--last stand by the well dressed?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kitonbrioni, Aug 14, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If my handle is any indication, you can guess where I stand regarding the issue. However, I guess to each his own...if you don't think you need a watch and can tell the time using your cell phone, etc... than more power to you.

Jon.

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

If my handle is any indication, you can guess where I stand regarding the issue. However, I guess to each his own...if you don't think you need a watch and can tell the time using your cell phone, etc... than more power to you.

Jon.

<exemplifies ignorance>

What's it mean? :p

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

<exemplifies ignorance>

What's it mean? :p

Watch Idiot Savant

I would like to add that you can always get the "╦ťSwiss watch' of cell phones:

[​IMG]

The Vertu, which is made out of some of the same materials as a high-end watch, including a synthetic sapphire crystal.

Jon.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

...or you can buy a Kiton suit and buy a Blackberry 7130e and spring $15 for an InvisibleShield. [​IMG]

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

...or you can buy a Kiton suit and buy a Blackberry 7130e and spring $15 for an InvisibleShield. [​IMG]

I didn't say I owned one or would ever get one, but if it's the fusion of the two worlds that you want...this is a good idea (if you can afford it).

Personally, I'm getting the Razr V3i when it comes out at the end of the week (hopefully).

Jon.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I endorse the idea that it's a "youth thing", to the extent that lumps me into the camp of youth. [​IMG]
    Many moons ago when I was in college, I stopped wearing a watch. As the tallest building on campus was a campanile with a big clock on each face, the lack of a watch never stopped me from getting to class on time. (That is, if I didn't make it to class on time, it wasn't because I couldn't figure out what time it was.)
    I've never re-acquired the habit of watch-wearing. Being in a somewhat time-obsessed profession, I'm confronted by reminders of the time. My desk phone (like my cellular) has a clock. My computer has a clock. The dashboard of my car has a clock. Courtrooms have clocks, and most law office conference rooms have clocks (not counting the clocks on laptops, etc. that may be in the room).
    As such, I'm rarely ignorant of the time and rather prefer keeping my own body free of the tyranny of timekeeping.

Repent, Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man. (First to identify that quote gets -- well, nothing actually.)

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(First to identify that quote gets -- )

Free legal services? [​IMG]

Jon.

8. pengesq

pengesq Well-Known Member

I wear w atch to cover up the tan line that's created by wearing a watch![​IMG]

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I endorse the idea that it's a "youth thing", to the extent that lumps me into the camp of youth. [​IMG] Many moons ago when I was in college, I stopped wearing a watch. As the tallest building on campus was a campanile with a big clock on each face, the lack of a watch never stopped me from getting to class on time. (That is, if I didn't make it to class on time, it wasn't because I couldn't figure out what time it was.) I've never re-acquired the habit of watch-wearing. Being in a somewhat time-obsessed profession, I'm confronted by reminders of the time. My desk phone (like my cellular) has a clock. My computer has a clock. The dashboard of my car has a clock. Courtrooms have clocks, and most law office conference rooms have clocks (not counting the clocks on laptops, etc. that may be in the room). As such, I'm rarely ignorant of the time and rather prefer keeping my own body free of the tyranny of timekeeping. Repent, Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man. (First to identify that quote gets -- well, nothing actually.)
    OMG! It has been years since I last read that story. I think I have it in one of the Hugo Winners anthologies (you know, the old ones with the hilarious prefaces by Asimov). For some reason I am blanking out on the author.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

OMG! It has been years since I last read that story. I think I have it in one of the Hugo Winners anthologies (you know, the old ones with the hilarious prefaces by Asimov).

For some reason I am blanking out on the author.

Probably been 20 or so years since I read it, too.
    Hint: the author's name rhymes with Marlin Smellison.

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Probably been 20 or so years since I read it, too.
    Hint: the author's name rhymes with Marlin Smellison.

Hahah, good hint. Harlan Ellison it is.

12. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I think a nice watch is essential. You can tell a lot about someone's personality by the watch they wear.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

People just don't seem to understand the aesthetic impact of things like a quality watch. Ipods, and other ungainly "conveniences" are only that. They all want the conceit of convenience, and mortality is not convenient.
    I am afraid to wear watches as I fear being reminded of my own mortality.

14. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

Heh. [​IMG]

I'd never really thought about this before, but it seems like I put a watch on whenever I put shoes or boots on. But, if I'm tooling around the neighborhood or beach (pretty much anywhere in flipflips or sneakers), I generally don't bother putting my watch on.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

People just don't seem to understand the aesthetic impact of things like a quality watch.

I've noticed, generally speaking, that men fall short with their selection of shoes and watches, on a regular basis.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've noticed, generally speaking, that men fall short with their selection of shoes and watches, on a regular basis.
    Another distinction are their choices of pens, and cars.

17. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Hahah, good hint. Harlan Ellison it is.

Bad-a** writer. "A Boy and his Dog" now...

18. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I have to agree with this.

19. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

"Another distinction are their choices of pens, and cars."

I have found that a man's choice of stationary is critical to a tasteful presentation of personal style. My own preference is for a hand pressed linen and papyrus cross, sold exclusively in the better salons under the trade name "Continental Mulatto".

20. uslexus

uslexus Member

I carry a cell phone with me all the time and sometimes my PDA, plus I am in and out of my car all day, but I still wear a watch.

I'm only 19, in college and working in investment real estate, so I do use my cell alot, but I have gotten used to watches and love them. I feel naked with out one. I have a Kenneth Cole, Seiko, and a Movado. I actually do use them to tell time, but style is another factor as well.