• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches going for fraction of retail on ebay?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
I've been keeping my eyes open for a deal on a nice Seiko watch for under $100, and have come across much more temptation while scouring ebay.

One of my favorite low-cost watches that I'd love to buy, a Tissot T17.1.586.42 T-Sport PRC200, goes for $475 Retail, $312 on Amazon - just sold for $80 shipped on ebay. I would LOVE to pick up that watch at $80. So what's the catch?

That watches brother with the black face (ending in .52) saw a few of them go for $98 and $105 shipped. These are NIB.

I discovered this after finding that many seiko watches are going for under $50:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-AUTOMATIC-...t=Wristwatches
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-MENS-AUTOM...t=Wristwatches

Picking up 2-3 Seiko's and a Tissot for under $200 seems awesome. My too-good-to-be-true alarm is going off though, so elighten me?

-Evan

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just need to be patient and watch Ebay and you can get great deals on Sieko watches. In the past I have won auctions for as low as 35.00 dollars for Seiko 5 watches.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
You just need to be patient and watch Ebay and you can get great deals on Sieko watches. In the past I have won auctions for as low as 35.00 dollars for Seiko 5 watches.

So when finding them, there's no catch to it, it's just one of the beautiful things about ebay? Excellent!

Any comments on those Tissots?

-Evan

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
I've been keeping my eyes open for a deal on a nice Seiko watch for under $100, and have come across much more temptation while scouring ebay.

One of my favorite low-cost watches that I'd love to buy, a Tissot T17.1.586.42 T-Sport PRC200, goes for $475 Retail, $312 on Amazon - just sold for $80 shipped on ebay. I would LOVE to pick up that watch at $80. So what's the catch?

That watches brother with the black face (ending in .52) saw a few of them go for $98 and $105 shipped. These are NIB.

I discovered this after finding that many seiko watches are going for under $50:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-AUTOMATIC-...t=Wristwatches
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-MENS-AUTOM...t=Wristwatches

Picking up 2-3 Seiko's and a Tissot for under $200 seems awesome. My too-good-to-be-true alarm is going off though, so elighten me?

-Evan

I saw some for around that price but shipping was outrageous, how much were they shipped?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I saw some for around that price but shipping was outrageous, how much were they shipped?

As I stated in the original post, those prices included shipping.

Yes, the shipping was $50, but when the sale price is $25-$50, our total is still $75-$100 for a $475 watch...

-Evan

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Store has an upfront return policy on fakes.

Shouldn't be an issue plus eBay protects you if you complete the transaction with their service.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
Be careful to avoid fakes.

Any reason to believe the ones I linked to are or aren't fakes?

-Evan

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buyer always beware. But watches are typically the easiest of things that fall off trucks....

sailorjerry1965

Reaction score
I won't buy any jewelry that comes from China if I can help it. Since they treat their own people like garbage, how well do they enforce the standards for people outside of their borders?

True, the US dictates how much lead and cadmium can be in any given piece of imported jewelry, but those standards are only as good as the people watching what's coming into the country. With millions of containers hitting American shores every year, it's not remotely possible to monitor all of them; although we don't tell the public this, it's largely a self-regulated industry.

That all said, that's a screaming deal on those watches. I would assume that they indeed fell off of a truck at some point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads