• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches for suits vs. Watches for casual

the_sulks

Reaction score
Some people say you can't wear chronometer with a suit. They only suit for jeans and t-shirts.

Some people say you can't wear a strict two- or three-handed watches with casual clothes since they only fit for suits.

Where is the truth? :) Where is the line between watches suitable for suits and for t-shirts?

[ATTACHMENT=14040]03.jpg (33k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=14041]02.jpg (33k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such people are prescriptivists and are best avoided.

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
I assume your friends mean chronograph not chronometer though even if this is the case I would suggest the people who are offering this advice look at some vintage Pateks or even a current A. Lange before tarring all such timepieces with the same brush.

I own two watches, a casual stainless "sports" watch and a gold "dress" watch with black alligator strap. I find these are both rather suited to their purpose and are the bare minimum (i.e. they are not interchangeable) for a gentleman's wardrobe. I am not a fan of complications on a dial (though the movements are simply a work of art) so they are both simple which IMO suits both casual and dress (more so dress) though everybody is different.

Most people confuse chronographs with big chunky watches which you use at the side of the track to time your friend's Ferrari over the line. I wouldn't wear a Daytona with a suit but that is my preference though a Datograph would provide a very dressy alternative (all IMO).

starro

Reaction score
My view is that dress watches can easily be dressed down. The minimal features--as you say, moderate size, 2-3 hands, maybe date window, and not much else--work with just about anything.

The converse is not always true for sports watches.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore them.

Any watch works for anything, any time, any place and any clothes

Those who say otherwise speak nonsense.

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
Ignore them.

Any watch works for anything, any time, any place and any clothes

Those who say otherwise speak nonsense.
I see what you did there.

Luis G

Reaction score
The only watch you shouldn't wear is one that is not color coordinated.

For example: Suit with a rainbow colored watch. Probably not gonna work.

Otherwise I don't see a problem. I've seen Gshocks worn with suits (Clinton style).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics