• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches for non-watch guys

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For well under $1k, Timex has some really nice looking automatics around the $250 range.

For a bit more, Hamilton has some really interesting and classic designs.

1627517865749.jpeg

The Hamilton Ventura is around $850.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Baltic. Some nice watches in your range. @DavidLane just showed a new Halios which looks real nice. Some nice stuff from micro brands out there. Take a look at worn and wound. They tend to stay in the more affordable range and have some good reviews. We are here as you have questions.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get a really good idea look at the affordable sub-forum on watchuseek, you will have a wealth of suggestions.

For brands that have wide variety of styles and price points I'd suggest Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, and Tissot. These are the large well-established brands (the Swatch Co. has a number of brands under it's umbrella including Hamilton and Tissot). Over the past 10 yeas or so there has been a big surge in Micro-brands and they offer a smaller selection but better value for money and interesting designs. Some I have or recommend are Zelos, Deep Blue, Vario, Helson, Vaer, Bertuuci, NTH.

If you really want good value and like dive watches then San Martin, Steel Dive and similar brands.

Some Examples of aforementioned brands.
IMG_5470.jpg IMG_5459.jpg IMG_5447.jpg zelos hammerhead.jpeg c1t-1.jpeg IMG_5472.jpg IMG_5457.jpg IMG_4797.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own a number of "good" watches ... but I find I'm not a "watch guy" in the same way many in The Watch Appreciation Thread Club are. I often find that thread off-putting and a tad "flash" in an overtly showy sort of way.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only glanced at that thread once I think. For me $9,000 is a car for my kid or a motorcycle not a watch. No way in the world I'd enjoy a Rolex as much as my R NineT.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say under 1K is where I'd like to stay. I know that's not cheap, but it's not a Patek either. Not looking for anything specific, more of a brand where I can look around.

A 1000 dollar budget gives alot of possibilities. Google will give you several guides like the best diver/dress/field watch under 1000 USD. You could also consider a 2 or 3 watch wardrobe.

Seiko is good and have good divers and some nice dress watches in the pressage Line. The new sharp edge series should have you covered in all situation.

Hamilton also has several nice watches. Their field mechanic has been popular over the last years.

If you have a local dealer with seiko/hamilton/casio/timex you should be able to find one or two watches to fulfil your needs.

I would suggest something like the seiko presage sharp edge and a g-shock. You could later expand with a diver, a chronograph and a true slim dress watch.

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
I've only glanced at that thread once I think. For me $9,000 is a car for my kid or a motorcycle not a watch. No way in the world I'd enjoy a Rolex as much as my R NineT.
I am on the same page. I assume it's relative though. If someone has an income ten times mine and I deem $500 to be my max for a watch then they might see $5000 the same way. There is also the investment aspect for the higher end stuff. Either way, too rich for my blood. I shall stay in Seiko, Bulova, Orient etc.-land for now.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the cheapest and most versatile watches I own.

1627593751862.jpeg

Can’t argue with the Dieter Rams design, really.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a major watch guy. The high priced watches discussed here are not in my budget, and I'm not sure I would choose to put my money there even if I could. So, I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for guys weren't looking to spend too much?
Check these out

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check Hamilton Kaki Field series. I usually do not wear watches but had to purchase one for my son for his first communion and sometimes I wear it for casual wear. 38mm.

Screenshot_20210812-173625_Chrome.jpg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not enjoy both? Haha

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko, Hamilton, Oris, or vintage Omega all offer a wide selection of reasonably priced watches.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not enjoy both? Haha
Value is relative but there are certain things I just can't see spending large sums of money on.

I enjoy a Five Guys burger for what, $5, I'm for sure Bezos the equivalent would be a $100,000 burger. There is no burger worth $100,000.

Even if a I had the income that a $9,000 watch was the equivalent of buying a $400 watch to me know I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I don't feel any watch is worth that kind of money. Same way I don't feel any suit is worth $3,000 or a bottle of wine $500 I just don't see the value in it.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Value is relative but there are certain things I just can't see spending large sums of money on.

I enjoy a Five Guys burger for what, $5, I'm for sure Bezos the equivalent would be a $100,000 burger. There is no burger worth $100,000.

Even if a I had the income that a $9,000 watch was the equivalent of buying a $400 watch to me know I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I don't feel any watch is worth that kind of money. Same way I don't feel any suit is worth $3,000 or a bottle of wine $500 I just don't see the value in it.

Fair. I'll never spend money on a Five Guys burger, so...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads