• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches for non-watch guys

DrewMill

Reaction score
I'm not a major watch guy. The high priced watches discussed here are not in my budget, and I'm not sure I would choose to put my money there even if I could. So, I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for guys weren't looking to spend too much?

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a major watch guy. The high priced watches discussed here are not in my budget, and I'm not sure I would choose to put my money there even if I could. So, I was curious if anyone had any recommendations for guys weren't looking to spend too much?

What kind of watch do you want? Dress, diver, field? Do you like the idea of a mechanical watch that would need service or do you want quartz and the reliability it offers? And a budget is always nice.. Too much is always subjective.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

everything starts with a budget. What’s your budget?

notdos

Reaction score

DrewMill

Reaction score

Thanks. The initial Omega question threw me off, but further in it seems more like what I'm looking for.

DrewMill

Reaction score
What kind of watch do you want? Dress, diver, field? Do you like the idea of a mechanical watch that would need service or do you want quartz and the reliability it offers? And a budget is always nice.. Too much is always subjective.
everything starts with a budget. What’s your budget?

I'd say under 1K is where I'd like to stay. I know that's not cheap, but it's not a Patek either. Not looking for anything specific, more of a brand where I can look around.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a "watch guy," but wear a converted Swatch automatic in the "jellyfish" colorway with sport coats. You can find them on eBay for about $175 to $200. I like that it has a small and thin profile that fits neatly underneath a shirt cuff, and a reasonably smooth sweeping seconds hand (rather than the ticking of the quartz). It's smaller than some modern Swatch watches and fits my 6.5 inch wrist well. The clear colorway is fun and the style reminds me of my time hanging out with my cousins when I was young.

i8ozfv3vwml21.jpeg
Al_swatch_2.jpeg

I also wear a Gshock DW5600 with workwear. Has a bit of a retro vibe to it and the chunkier silhouette goes well with things like trucker jackets and bombers. These are like $50 on Amazon. The line has a few different "square" variations with different features/ functions.

aaa.jpeg
026698b60d742b1fd85939b19b40398a.jpeg

Last edited:

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
Lots of good replies on here already. Really depends on the style you want; Orient (Bambino model) and Seiko have some really nice automatic dress watches in your price range. If you like the Rolex Submariner look, Invicta (yeah yeah, blasphemy, I know) has their Pro Diver in both automatic and quartz movements.

A budget classic dress watch that I really like is the Bulova 98H51.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
Pretty far from anything CM, but FWIW I love my Galaxy smartwatch. I put a shell cordovan strap on it, and I have a separate Horween Dublin strap in black if I want that. The black strap, or a rubber one, would probably work for workwear similarly to the ones dieworkwear posted. Faces are changeable to match my outfit, including digital faces or faces with hands, plus I find it actually functional.

Galaxy2.jpg

DrewMill

Reaction score
I don't consider myself a "watch guy," but wear a converted Swatch automatic in the "jellyfish" colorway with sport coats. You can find them on eBay for about $175 to $200. I like that it has a small and thin profile that fits neatly underneath a shirt cuff, and a reasonably smooth sweeping seconds hand (rather than the ticking of the quartz). It's smaller than some modern Swatch watches and fits my 6.5 inch wrist well. The clear colorway is fun and the style reminds me of my time hanging out with my cousins when I was young.

View attachment 1645677 View attachment 1645679

I also wear a Gshock DW5600 with workwear. Has a bit of a retro vibe to it and the chunkier silhouette goes well with things like trucker jackets and bombers. These are like $50 on Amazon. The line has a few different "square" variations with different features/ functions.

View attachment 1645681 View attachment 1645678

Those are some nice suggestions. I like how you pair that Swatch.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are some nice suggestions. I like how you pair that Swatch.

That photo isn't actually mine, just something I found on the internet. But I figured it might give you an idea of how the style can look with tailoring.

I like Swatches, but find some of them are too big for me (I think some are 38?). The jellyfish is about 34, I believe, which feels better for my 6.5" wrist. I also like how they generally look with tailoring. There's something very fun, almost 1980s about the look.

I find the "clear" versions are the most versatile. That said, there's a real danger of these feeling chintzy after a while and they end up sitting in your desk drawer forever. I've bought a few over the years, but find that I only ever wear the jellyfish version. If you're looking for the highest end of horology, these are certainly not it. But if you're looking for something fun that you can privately enjoy while wearing tailored clothing, they might be. My converted automatic jellyfish has to be shaken every once in a while and it loses maybe a minute or something over the course of a day. But I'm fine with adjusting it and fiddling with it.

The converted automatics also don't have the soft ticking sound of the quartz. Swatch Sistem51 can also be nice, in that regard.

tumblr_inline_o71dwd5lPv1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o71dxp9jDc1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o71e04lO1L1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o71e0h4Lf01qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o71e7g5dh81qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o71ecwjaEl1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_o71egcFrw11qfex1b_540-1.jpg

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
@dieworkwear brings up the good point of wrist size. I also have thin wrists (6.5") and find a 40mm dial is really the max I can pull off. Something to think about.

Reactions: RSS

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd wear a date-only watch if they made one it would be a fun statement

somehow i'm always really aware of what time it is but never know what day lol

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always take Jodie's advice and get an Ali Express spec monster for under $100.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads