Watches & cufflinks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dug, Mar 24, 2004.

1. dug

dug Well-Known Member

I have 6 watches and 14 pairs of cufflinks.

I try to match watch (color, form, style) with cufflinks what why I have so many of them.

My watches =

1) Golden Ellipse (Patek) = auto/white gold/blue dial/blue croco strap
    2) Master ultra thin (JL)= mecanic/steel/black dial/ black croco strap
    3) Tank (Cartier) = auto/steel/white dial/steel bracelet
    4) Reflet (Boucheron) = auto/ steel/ blue dial/croco strap
    5) Hampton (B&M) = auto/ steel/ champagne dial/black trap
    6) Omega = mecanic/pink gold/grey dial/brown croco strap

And you?

2. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Tough act to follow.

I don't have near the income to drop a lot of money on a watch -- much less six of them. I do have two Kenneth Cole watches with leather bands -- one black, the other brown. The bands were not originally leather; I had them replaced. Simple, but it works.

Black band: white face/ silver dial
    Brown band: tan (off-white) face/ blue dial

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Lucky. You got the calculator watch? We shop at the same store. I got the hot pink and green plastic watch that doesn't really tell time...but, you can flip up the face of the watch and store candy in the secret compartment.

4. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Very funny...

Candy or xanax?

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

If I could choose from any of the current wristwatches made, this is what I would sellect. I couldn't narrow it down, so here's the list. Sport Watch: - Luminor Panerai automatic; titanium case, black dial with seconds and power reserve subdials, black leather croc band. - Girard-Perregaux Ferrari 275 Le Mans; stainless case, brown croc strap, black dial with three silver subdials Dress Watch: - Parmigiani Toric Chronograph; white gold case, black croc strap, white gold dial with engraved pattern - A. Lange & Sogne Langematik-Perpetual; platinum case, silver dial, black croc strap, subdials of month, 4-year cycle, moon phase, second, day, and 24-hour - Timex done in black plastic case, rubber strap. It's quartz movement keeps track of time better than any of the previously mentioned watches costing 500x as much.

6. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Timex is a dress watch?

Talk about your watch...no only about watches you would like to have

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

It was a joke, pal.

8. dug

dug Well-Known Member

I know....

What kind of watch do you wear? Do you match it with your garment?

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have a swiss-made Wenger, stainless case with thin gold ring around the bezel, very light gray dial, and gold bars for markings. I also added a brown croc strap (my favorite) with a gold buckle. Not a very expensive watch (around $500) but I like it. I wear this watch every day (almost), so I don't worry about matching it to my garment.

If I am dressed in all black/gray colors, I might wear my Seiko tank watch. That one has a stainless case with dark gray dial and silver numbers.

I've also got a Citizen with gold face and band, and a black dial. I don't like this one as much, I prefer silver. I wear this on 'dressy' occasions.

Last, I've got a Locman watch with the rectangular tank case. Steel case, silver dial, black leather strap. I don't wear this as much.

I noticed in your other thread about clothing you stated you buy much of your items on discount. Were you able to find the Patek and other watches you mentioned on a nice discount?

10. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Big discount on garment, not watches and shoes (just 25% on one Weston)

My Patek is vintage so I paid 50% of the listed price (5200 euros = 2/3 bespoke suits which will be dead in 5 years, so it is not so expensive)

For the JL, B&M I had 30% off after negociation
    10% for Cartier and Boucheron

and the Omega is from my father

Always buy a vinatge watches unless you have 30% off on a new one.

You see, you have many watches too. You seem to like tank (= square) watches? Me too.

Have you got cufflinks?

I think you should try to match your watch with your garment as it is the final touch of style.

Many people have a nice suit, a tie...few have taste for watches (see how many guy were Rolex or big sport watch with a suit)

11. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I've got four watches: - for slumming it: stainless steel automatic Baume & Mercier Malibu Chrono round-face (circa 1997) w/ stainless steel bracelet - with black dress shoes: 18K white gold manual Baume & Mercier tank (circa late 1970s) w/ black leather strap - with brown dress shoes: 18K two-tone (yellow/white) gold manual IWC round-face (circa late 1950s) w/ brown leather strap - very special occasions: 18K white gold manual ultra, ultra-thin Patek Phillipe round-face (circa [​IMG]?) w/ black eelskin strap

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Dug,

You own many great watches. I especially enjoy and admire vintage watches. True, I do like tank watches (and regular round watches as well). I'm 19 so I do not yet have a need for cufflinks. When I enter the 'business world' in a few years, I will definately purchase a few sets of cufflinks.

Good point about the nice suit vs. taste in watches.

That Patek is a good investment, I'm sure you will be wearing it many years from now.

Like I said, I will be entering the business world in a few years. I plan to purchase two new watches (dress watches). Instead of buying new watches, I am thinking of getting vintage. Specifically, a 1960's Omega Seamaster or a 1960's Longines to start out with.

Later on when I can afford a nicer watch, I would like to add to my collection a vintage LeCoultre, IWC, or Perregaux.

By the way, how old are you (if you don't mind my asking)? Its nice to see another member of the board with a taste for vintage watches.

13. dug

dug Well-Known Member

I'm 30

At 19 years I even didn't know theses brands. I've learnt to tie a tie on the web 4 years ago.

When I was student, 4 years ago, I said when : "I work I will buy a nice watch"

I bought my first watch in 2000 by chance because of the 30% off in the shop.
    I always fall on my watches by chance, never planed to buy a watch.

Nice watch and shoes are the 2 most important thing in style in think.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I also have a Boucheron Reflet. It is the Icare model in quartz, mirror dial, and a stainless case with an alligator strap. It's a rather nice watch; rather in that Gucci Group philosophy though.

15. dug

dug Well-Known Member