Watches at 10:10

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rach2jlc, May 8, 2006.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Here's something odd that I'd never noticed before...

I was looking through a Japanese watch magazine and noted that all the watches in the advertisements were showing 10:10. I thought this strange and then looked in a few American magazines and found the same.

Is there a precedent for this? It is odd that I'd never noticed it before, but sure enough, every magazine or watch ad I've looked at has been close to 10:10 (sometimes 10:06-10:12).

John

EDITED TO ADD: In doing a little internet searching, I've found a reason that makes sense. Apparently, there is a precedent to do this because 10:10 doesn't obscure the showing of the brand logo and it frames this area of the watch to "lead" the viewers eye. IN any case, it is still interesting to see.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes - a couple of good reasons: (1) it is generally the position where the hands hide the least amount of dial (e.g. brand, indices, chrono subdials), and (2) it makes the dial smile at you [​IMG]

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

There's also an 'urban legend' of sorts that says the 10:10 positioning creates the illusion that the hands are making a smiley face with the 11 and the 1 forming the eyes.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I guess my surprise was just that I've looked at watch ads perhaps 10,000 times and never noticed that before. It's interesting how one can see something so much and miss something like that. [​IMG]

John

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Yeah, I looked at my soon-to-be-ex-wife for 27 years and never once realized she was spending me into bankruptcy!