• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches and BLING....

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Actually....no. Perhaps you are right and I was a bit too harsh. I think that it is a touchy subject with a lot of the locals around here and it tends to bring out a bit of ugliness. I apologize for mine.
Hehe..no problem guys. I don't take it personally at all. It's not that I'm doing badly. Far from it. I'm doing quite well actually. It's just nothing compared to the dotcom period back then...those days were outrageous I just posted picts of things that were "excesses" from that time period..and as, you can tell, gets lots of interesting responses from the crowd on here(which tends to be very euro-conservative). The watches/bling are supposed to be loud, they're supposed to be ghetto and they are SUPPOSED to get the reactions that you get from a conservative forum. I'm not surprised at all and not offended in the least. I find it humorous =) I'm an urban child thrust into the corporate world, and I took my taste and preferences with me. To each is own..yes. But...as I said...I thoroughly enjoy dressing in suits and hitting the town, dressing in casual jeans, hanging out, and also getting into roughneck mode and wearing the bling. I find that versatility much more satisfying than being stuck in any one genre and not being able to pull off other ones. I appreciate the input on suits, and other things on this forum...but I DO NOTICE the elitism and putting euro centric conservative styles on a pedestal. That's fine, but I respectfully disagree and cannnot put one style GREATER than the other... p.s. To another poster, yes the red gold is 18K. The clarity of the diamonds are H VVS1...not that great. I don't wear fake items, and have no need to. The fake ones would be MUCH brighter because they'd be flawless. You can call Chris Aire or Johnny the Jeweler and ask them if their stuff is fake =) It really is interesting to see the polarization of tastes from the Eurocentric conservative perspective and the Hip Hop generation. The gaps seems to be getting wider and wider.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So was it a Dinan tuned 850?
My 850csi had a dinan performance chip, shift kit and K & N filter. Sold it for 24K 4 years ago. I still have my SC400. It's heavily modified w/connelly leather(from Bentley), custom sound system(from Eclipse) and custom aluminum steering wheels/gauges. Again..this would get gasps from this crowd(hilarious)..but it's our thing in the Bay Area. NOTE: I noticed one poster posted Paul Wall's picture, and one other poster was asking me to see my full "urban" ensemble. It's funny how people in the conservative realm see this as a ridiculous novelty, a joke, and mock it as if they're better than it. That street goes two ways...and as much as I like Attolini suits, and Brioni suit talk...putting that all on a pedestal, and thinking you haven't lived if you don't have those w/Lobb shoes...is equally laughable and ridiculous. I openly invite anyone of you guys w/5000 suits to come to my part of the Bay Area and see people here and laugh at them openly. I would hope you are wearing some firearms when you do that. You'll see how far that perspective gets around here. I also challenged other people to show their closets and see if they can take open criticism. Have yet to see anyone else step up to the plate. As my quote says "Your bark is loud...but....my bite.."

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For most people here it is a novelty. You aren't posting on a hip-hop or urban style forum. While this isn't AAAC, SF's MC forum is certainly going to be on the conservative side. I don't think you're going to get a warm reception for "urban" style on any of the fora here, to be totally honest.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
For most people here it is a novelty. You aren't posting on a hip-hop or urban style forum. While this isn't AAAC, SF's MC forum is certainly going to be on the conservative side. I don't think you're going to get a warm reception for "urban" style on any of the fora here, to be totally honest.
"To be totally honest"...is exactly what it's all about. I see a lot of people hiding and not showing their thoughts and haven't beared their closets as I have, because I dunno if THEY can take any criticism. It's fun to dish out, but let's see others who can take it too.. Let's see the shoe on the other foot and see how warm the reception is... Last I checked..it's a Men's STYLE forum.. Last I checked..style can vary. If the forum is stuck in conservatism, then it's pigeon holed it's sense of style. Then you can't call it a MENS STYLE FORUM. It should be called the EUROCENTRIC, ELITIST MENS STYLE FORUM. To be totally honest with itself.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
"To be totally honest"...is exactly what it's all about. I see a lot of people hiding and not showing their thoughts and haven't beared their closets as I have because I dunno if THEY can take any criticism. It's fun to dish out, but let's see others who can take it too..

Let's see the shoe on the other foot and see how warm the reception is...

Last I checked..it's a Men's STYLE forum.. Last I checked..style can vary. If the forum is stuck in conservatism, then it's pigeon holed it's sense of style. Then you can't call it a MENS STYLE FORUM. It should be called the EUROCENTRIC, ELITIST MENS STYLE FORUM. To be totally honest with itself.

That kind of attitude is going to get you nothing but banned. SF is what it is.

MC is going to be dedicated to generally conservative and elegant clothing. I suppose you could say it's eurocentric, but there is pretty good representation from the Far East and US as well.

S&D is going to be into fashion forward suits, denim, and other clothing and accessories.

Not too many people here are into urban style, as I mentioned. I'm sure there are some forums that are, and you might be more comfortable there. Regardless of your opinion, as I mentioned before, it's likely it will be nothing more than a novelty here.

BTW, if you look at the WAYWN threads, there are plenty of pictures of people wearing clothes, and various people have posted many pictures of their closets.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
That kind of attitude is going to get you nothing but banned. SF is what it is. MC is going to be dedicated to generally conservative and elegant clothing. I suppose you could say it's eurocentric, but there is pretty good representation from the Far East and US as well. S&D is going to be into fashion forward suits, denim, and other clothing and accessories. Not too many people here are into urban style, as I mentioned. I'm sure there are some forums that are, and you might be more comfortable there. Regardless of your opinion, as I mentioned before, it's likely it will be nothing more than a novelty here. BTW, if you look at the WAYWN threads, there are plenty of pictures of people wearing clothes, and various people have posted many pictures of their closets.
Point taken...so if I disagree and respond in kind to comments made mocking my posts..then "my attitude" would be cause for banning, but the instigating comments receive a pass? And they can then post their closet pictures in this thread and be open to criticism as well

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of people hiding and not showing their thoughts and haven't beared their closets as I have because I dunno if THEY can take any criticism.
Either that or they simply don't find your taste in jewelry (or lackthere of) intriguing/ worth talking about anymore.
Last I checked..it's a Men's STYLE forum.. Last I checked..style can vary. If the forum is stuck in conservatism, then it's pigeon holed it's sense of style. Then you can't call it a MENS STYLE FORUM. It should be called the EUROCENTRIC, ELITIST MENS STYLE FORUM. To be totally honest with itself.
Well, you can (and at this rate, you might just) try the same thing in almost every other fashion message board known to man. I doubt the response you get from Streetwear or Superfuture would be any different. Niketalk, Hypebeast.. may be, although I think they all have progressed past that point. Honestforum.. perhaps, but if I were at your age, I wouldn't want to be associated with that crowd.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Point taken...so if I disagree and respond in kind to comments made mocking my posts..then "my attitude" would be cause for banning, but the instigating comments receive a pass?

And they can then post their closet pictures in this thread and be open to criticism as well

My point is if you're the person bucking the norm, who do you think is going to get the short end of the stick?

Again, what do you really expect? You're in a forum where 0.5" of excess sleeve length is going to get a raised eyebrow and you're talking about blinged out bracelets?

Personally I don't really care either way, if you want to bling it out then go for it, it's all good either way. Just don't expect people here to embrace your style with open arms because it's not the norm here.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
My point is if you're the person bucking the norm, who do you think is going to get the short end of the stick? Again, what do you really expect? You're in a forum where 0.5" of excess sleeve length is going to get a raised eyebrow and you're talking about blinged out bracelets? Personally I don't really care either way, if you want to bling it out then go for it, it's all good either way. Just don't expect people here to embrace your style with open arms because it's not the norm here.
As I posted earlier, I'm not looking for embrace. I was looking for a place to share thoughts and bounce ideas off of one another. But what you're explaining is that those ideas have to be bounced in a certain way... Not a problem. All of these eyesore "bucking the norm" threads will go away after this post..and I'll talk about Attolini again... So people can keep the bounce of thoughts going the same way..YOURS.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I'm an urban child thrust into the corporate world, and I took my taste and preferences with me. To each is own..yes. But...as I said...I thoroughly enjoy dressing in suits and hitting the town, dressing in casual jeans, hanging out, and also getting into roughneck mode and wearing the bling.

I find that versatility much more satisfying than being stuck in any one genre and not being able to pull off other ones.

I appreciate the input on suits, and other things on this forum...but I DO NOTICE the elitism and putting euro centric conservative styles on a pedestal. That's fine, but I respectfully disagree and cannnot put one style GREATER than the other...

I've always striven to further develop a style that is a natural outgrowth of my upbringing. Bling is anathema to my sensibilities. If that makes me elitist, so be it.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Nighttrain7404, don't get upset.
I do not think that this is an elitist forum. I guess that some of those writing here are elitists, but others aren't, me included. However, most of those writing on MC appear to be into what has traditionally been considered elegant men's clothing. That is not really the same as "elitist".
I have enjoyed this thread, but obvioysly some of the stuff has caused some raised eyebrows. I guess that you expected, and actually even wanted, that.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 850csi had a dinan performance chip, shift kit and K & N filter. Sold it for 24K 4 years ago. I still have my SC400. It's heavily modified w/connelly leather(from Bentley), custom sound system(from Eclipse) and custom aluminum steering wheels/gauges. Again..this would get gasps from this crowd(hilarious)..but it's our thing in the Bay Area. NOTE: I noticed one poster posted Paul Wall's picture, and one other poster was asking me to see my full "urban" ensemble. It's funny how people in the conservative realm see this as a ridiculous novelty, a joke, and mock it as if they're better than it. That street goes two ways...and as much as I like Attolini suits, and Brioni suit talk...putting that all on a pedestal, and thinking you haven't lived if you don't have those w/Lobb shoes...is equally laughable and ridiculous. I openly invite anyone of you guys w/5000 suits to come to my part of the Bay Area and see people here and laugh at them openly. I would hope you are wearing some firearms when you do that. You'll see how far that perspective gets around here. I also challenged other people to show their closets and see if they can take open criticism. Have yet to see anyone else step up to the plate. As my quote says "Your bark is loud...but....my bite.."
If you wear an Attolini suit in San Francisco, you had better have a firearm too? LOL
crackup[1].gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And nighttrain, people post pictures of their wardrobes all the time. See the "what are you wearing now" thread, the "shoe damage" threads, and countless other threads of people posting pictures of what's in their closets.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
If you wear an Attolini suit in San Francisco, you had better have a firearm too? LOL
crackup[1].gif

If I'm laughing at other people in the process...I would have to. Except I still have my pass in the city.

If you don't know what having a "pass" means..you ain't got one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads