• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches - Advice Please

mistryv

Reaction score
Hello, I am a 23 yr. old college student who is about to graduate with my undergraduate degree and continue on to graduate school. I need for a nice dress watch, something fitting for my position in life. Although I feel I am yet not of proper age for a Rolex, Omega, Patek, Breitling, Etc. I do feel the need to step up from my previous Skagen watch which was given to me 2 years ago. My price range is: $100-$500 The style of watch I seek is the following: -Dark Brown Leather Strap -Roman Numeral Numbering -Elegant Hands, Date is Optional -I have a small wrist (Appx. 6.5 Inches around), and I require a dial which is of smaller size. -I prefer a thin ROUND dial. For the price range, I am considering the following watch: http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Men-Stra...UTF8&s=jewelry *Note that I am replacing the band on that watch with a much nice genuine crocodile skin strap (MSRP $80)* Although the Seiko is a quality watch, I am having second thoughts as to the 'stature' of this watch. I almost feel as if I should be considering a higher end watch. Another watch I have considered is the Stowa Antea. Perhaps you could reccomend some watches of this style that would be fitting for myself. My thanks in advance.

Aureus

Reaction score
Reaction score
While I'm in no way an expert -- you can buy a good mid-range watch of traditional style from overstock at a 40-70% discount if you are looking to upgrade 'the name' and style from the seiko (and also to just not shop retail)

You might want to look at Hamilton, etc for trad styles in your range, Baume at the higher end (haven't looked there for a while) and more contemporary styling - but you should easily be able to find something in the sub $100 - $500 range

If over time you develop a love for the mechanics and art of watches - great, shop as appropriate.

I will say that if I interviewed a candidate coming out of college wearing a $6-10K timepiece I would probably question his priorities :)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage, vintage, vintage.

Something like, say, a nice sixties Omega is easily within your $500 budget.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
You can just about count on at least $200 for an overhaul of a vintage watch bought on Ebay. Out of 6 watches, only my GP hasn't needed an overhaul. In any case, you should take any Ebay watch you buy to a good watchmaker and have him check that the movement and case belong together. Some unscrupulous sellers swap out cases and movements to try to snooker buyers, but fortunately it seems to be the rare exception.

An awful lot of watches are for sale in Argentina. Does anyone know why this is so? Are the sellers honest and the watches good quality? I've always had vague misgivings about it for some reason.

etown883

Reaction score
I would second the Hamilton. A nice Khaki Auto or mechanical would stay within your budget and also meet your requirements. Plus its a nice first piece with a bit of history if you are going to start collecting. Vintage omega's are fantastic, but you need to watch out for the scammers on eBay. So perhaps try timezone.com or a local watchmaker.

edmond

Reaction score
For USD 200 you could get a black and brown leather Armani wrist watch.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmond
For USD 200 you could get a black and brown leather Armani wrist watch.

and why would anyone want to do that?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistryv
Another watch I have considered is the Stowa Antea.

If you like the Antea, you should definitely go for it. A nice watch in your price range, made in Germany, great value, timeless design. I would avoid a vintage watch if you are not ready to add another $100 for a movement service.

You may want to have a look at this: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=34

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Vintage, vintage, vintage.

Something like, say, a nice sixties Omega is easily within your $500 budget.

Hear hear!!

I also second the Hamilton Khaki; great watch, just not as "dressy", but if you pair it with a nice padded leather or alligator band, it's quite sharp.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
Also, what about the Hamilton Jazzmaster, some of these are quite good looking? When I used to frequent timezone.com, they seemed to get a decent amount of praise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads