1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watches - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mistryv, Sep 13, 2006.

1. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

No it's not. It only shows the date btw, no day or month like annual calendars do

Thanks. Is there any (good) reason one would pay the extra 200 euros for a COSC certified movement?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks. Is there any (good) reason one would pay the extra 200 euros for a COSC certified movement?

Yes - to have a guaranteed chronometre accuracy. Some people place accuracy at the higher end of their priority list, some don't. It certainly takes extra time and cost (paid to COSC) to get it certified so some makers let the customer decide whether or not they want to pay for it

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

An awful lot of watches are for sale in Argentina. Does anyone know why this is so? Are the sellers honest and the watches good quality? I've always had vague misgivings about it for some reason.
    According to the website Finer Times, "For many years watches imported into Argentina faced a very high import duty on cases. Many fine watches were cased in Argentina and the cases were of the highest grade and materials."

http://www.finertimes.com/asp/watche...6%27%29&Page=4

4. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

Although the Seiko is a quality watch, I am having second thoughts as to the 'stature' of this watch. I almost feel as if I should be considering a higher end watch.

Well there goes my reputation on this board [​IMG]

5. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Not necessarily to your specs but I strongly recommend St. Moritz for something within your price range. The quality is exemplary as they are traditionally "diving" watches.....I bought one for my friend who went to Iraq last year and with all the wear and tear he goes through on a daily basis the thing hasn't skipped a beat. I also have a friend who frequently scuba dives and he swears by their quality. Their 'Titan II' model is a little bit more formal than some of their other models and can be had for around $200. You can then, of course, switch the band to your preference:

[​IMG]

6. gdl203

Not necessarily to your specs but I strongly recommend St. Moritz for something within your price range. The quality is exemplary as they are traditionally "diving" watches.....I bought one for my friend who went to Iraq last year and with all the wear and tear he goes through on a daily basis the thing hasn't skipped a beat. I also have a friend who frequently scuba dives and he swears by their quality. Their 'Titan II' model is a little bit more formal than some of their other models and can be had for around $200. You can then, of course, switch the band to your preference:

[​IMG]

Never heard of St Moritz but this watch is such a blatant knock-off of the iconic IWC 3706 (Pilot Chronograph) that it is just painful to watch. (sure, they added a little bit of red on the dial and their logo... [​IMG] [​IMG])

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Unless you see a watch you really, really love, buy the Seiko and put the extra money in the budget into savings.

8. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Never heard of St Moritz but this watch is such a blatant knock-off of the iconic IWC 3706 (Pilot Chronograph) that it is just painful to watch. (sure, they added a little bit of red on the dial and their logo... [​IMG] [​IMG])
    The dials are different the numbers are different it doesn't have day function

I also cast a vote for Swiss Army my aunt just bought me one for my birthday I love it

9. gdl203

The dials are different the numbers are different it doesn't have day function

You've got to be kidding me...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Yes - there is indeed a difference between a knock-off like this (not identical) and a fake (identical)

If I saw this on anyone, first thing I would think is "alright, here's another IWC Chinatown mutant"...

10. mistryv

mistryv New Member

Thank you for all the help. I appreciate it. I highly considered the Stowa, but decided againest it simply because It was not the exact style I wanted. I've decided that I too should own the classic workhorse Seiko, and will be buying the watch within a few days. While the Omega Seamster Cal. 420, Circa 1954 is a great watch for any collector, I think I'll buy the Seiko and add the Seamaster to my collection further on down the line. Thanks for the help.

11. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Eh, they are a trusted brand amongst divers and make watches which have an excellent quality to price ratio.....hell, alot of watches copy other watches; we can't all have over $10 G's to blow on an original [​IMG]

Nonetheless, the wearer of this watch would encounter in all reality, less than two people in their entire life who would say: "Hey! That watch is an exact copy of an IWC 3706!"........It is sure as hell alot better than spending $120 on a Canal St. fake which wouldn't even survive washing the dishes....

[​IMG]

12. gdl203

Eh, they are a trusted brand amongst divers and make watches which have an excellent quality to price ratio.....hell, alot of watches copy other watches; we can't all have over $10 G's to blow on an original [​IMG]

Nonetheless, the wearer of this watch would encounter in all reality, less than two people in their entire life who would say: "Hey! That watch is an exact copy of an IWC 3706!"........It is sure as hell alot better than spending $120 on a Canal St. fake which wouldn't even survive washing the dishes....

[​IMG]

No offense but I've been a WIS for years and have spent way too much time on watch fora - still never heard of that brand.

I guess we have different interests when it comes to watches. I just cannot stomach knock-offs and would always spend my $ (and advise people to spend theirs) on watches with their own DNA, their own merits and design. There are plenty of brands at every price point who put the efforts into designing their own watches without copying others' designs. They're the ones who should be getting our business, not the St Moritz, Cvstos, Invicta or Anonimo of this world. JMO of course

13. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

I too am a big watch enthusiast and own a small collection of very nice timepieces myself (Seamaster, vintage AP Royal Oak, and a Breitling Court Auto)......needless to say, I understand your quip although it seems a little 'elitist.' Yes, the design is a perfect replica, but they are not trying to sell this watch as a cheap IWC substitute, but rather a refined, simple design which an average person could afford to have. You are saying you wouldn't buy a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes which were exact copies of some Edward Green's? I think you might.

In terms of never having heard of the brand before, as I said, they focus mainly on providing diving watches. Have you ever been on Scubaboard or the Watchuseek Dive Watch forums? St. Moritz is mentioned frequently on them. A funny note is that the 'Titan II' is actually water resistant up to 100M whereas the 3706 is only resistant up to 60M. Either way, this is silly to rabble over.....you wouldn't wear it, I would. Cheers.

[​IMG]

14. gdl203

I too am a big watch enthusiast and own a small collection of very nice timepieces myself (Seamaster, vintage AP Royal Oak, and a Breitling Court Auto)......needless to say, I understand your quip although it seems a little 'elitist.'

Not elitist at all. I have absolutely nothing against inexpensive watches, just against those that use other brands' designs.

they are not trying to sell this watch as a cheap IWC substitute, but rather a refined, simple design

Would be fine with me if it was their design

You are saying you wouldn't buy a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes which were exact copies of some Edward Green's? I think you might.

No I wouldn't. Not that this comparison makes much sense anyways. Shoe designs in general are significantly less differentiated.

the 3706 is only resistant up to 60M.

Would that possibly be because it is a pilot watch? not a diving watch

[​IMG] [​IMG] (another completely unnecessary use of some new smilies... love these new guys... [​IMG])

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

[​IMG]

testing. not saying that you is.

you can get alot more at websmileys . com

16. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

You might consider a vintage watch in good condition. That would fit in with your criteria (e.g., small and elegant).