• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchband vs. belt colour question

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should the watchband of the watch combine with the belt and shoes? That is, if I wear brown shoes and belt, can my watch have a black leather watchband?
Also, is the colour of the watch itself to be considered when dressing (for example, should it combine with the colour of the suit or shirt)? Or is this to go too far?
Are there andy "watch colour rules"?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will get differences of opinion on this question. For me, the leather components of my ensemble should match for dressier occasions. Thus, I do match my shoes, belt, and watchband in such cases. The match doesn't have to be perfect; slightly different shades of brown, for example, are fine. As for the color of the watch case, I match that with the color of my belt buckle (and shoe buckles if wearing monk shoes, along with tie clasp--something I still like to wear). So, gold watch with gold belt buckle, silver with silver. I do follow these matching practices for dressy occasions, but don't think it is as necessary for casual wear (although I tend to like to match things there too).

Edit: There is a fairly archaic jewelry-color rule (probably ignored a lot these days) that suggests gold for daytime use, silver for evening.

Aureus

Reaction score
Silver, or Platnium... and it is defintely archaic and ignored now.

I tend to match the leather to some degree and ignore the metal.

mrchapel

Reaction score
I think it's less important to match the watchband with the belt than it is to match the shoes with the belt.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
There is a fairly archaic jewelry-color rule (probably ignored a lot these days) that suggests gold for daytime use, silver for evening.
I never wear gold, only silver (or stainless steel). Also my cufflinks are in silver. So the metal (gold/silver) part is no problem for me (as I feel comfortable wearing silver also during the day).
I am basically concerned about the colour of the watchband vs. belt (and shoes).
And about the colour of the panel of the clock. I have a clock with a blue panel that I sometimes think looks strange with some of my suits/shirts.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
And about the colour of the panel of the clock. I have a clock with a blue panel that I sometimes think looks strange with some of my suits/shirts.

I prefer a white face on a dress watch and dark face on "tool" watches such as divers and pilots.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matching a watch band to one's shoes and belt is excessively fussy, in my opinion. Your watch is going to be hidden underneath your shirt cuff.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happen to be pretty fastidious about matching watchstrap/belt/shoe leather and watch case/belt buckle/wedding ring. I come from a watch geek background, so I'm always looking for an excuse to change watch straps anyway. Yes, I do have two wedding rings - pt and yg.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to scratch the lugs on my watches, and don't have the quick release straps, so I don't pay much attention to matching the leather of the strap to the shoe/belt. FWIW, I prefer to wear a bracelet in the summer, when Im more likely to roll up my sleeves
smile.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Matching a watch band to one's shoes and belt is excessively fussy, in my opinion. Your watch is going to be hidden underneath your shirt cuff.
If my watch would always remain hidden, I would not bother about spending money on buying me a new one.
However, when you are sitting down at a table, for example, your watch tends to become visible. Actually, yesterday I was at a meeting and everybody was well dressed, and I observed that some had very nice watches. Metal watch bands, though.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that if you're the type of guy that owns a bunch of watches and wants to match the watch band with other articles of clothing you are wearing - that's fine. However, there's something to be said about the guy who doesn't fuss over these kinds of things and just wears his same old trusty watch every single day regardless of whatever else he may be wearing.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
I happen to be pretty fastidious about matching watchstrap/belt/shoe leather and watch case/belt buckle/wedding ring. I come from a watch geek background, so I'm always looking for an excuse to change watch straps anyway.

Reasonable

Yes, I do have two wedding rings - pt and yg.
WTF Mate? Excessive

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF Mate? Excessive[/quote]

I don't deny it. But so much here is excessive that singling out an 'extra' $700 wedding band seems pointless.

FWIW, I wish I was the type of guy odoreater describes: one good watch worn all the time with no fuss. Unfortunately, I'm a watchaholic.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston

I don't deny it. But so much here is excessive that singling out an 'extra' $700 wedding band seems pointless.

FWIW, I wish I was the type of guy odoreater describes: one good watch worn all the time with no fuss. Unfortunately, I'm a watchaholic.
musicboohoo[1].gif

I've never worn a wedding band but if I did I'd match metals as well since I do so with cufflinks, belt buckle and watch. And, it seems perfectly logical to have a number of different watches to choose from depending on a particular sartorial ensemble or activity. I think the minimum watch "wardrobe" would be a dress watch, sport watch and an athletic watch. Then needn't be expensive either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads