• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol... ernest, I have a 14" forearm and about 9.5" wrist. That's why I need a larger watch. That's what happens when you bench twice your body weight.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Marketing You said yourself that ROLEX was the most famous... So who spend more in marketing? Patek or Rolex?
Certainly Rolex does, but my point wasn't discussing advertisement, it's Patek's ability to position their brand as a super premium watchmaker. Â Do you think the Patek movements are demonstrably better than Rolex, or even ETA movements? Â They're only expensive because they're used in Patek watches only.
2) Supply Why is a Daytona more expensive used than retail price??
Yeah Daytonas are hard to find as well, oo they are expensive, especially in some color combos. Â Rolex makes the most watches of any premium maker per year though.
3) Match Matching doesn't mean exactly thhe same, it can just be similar to be called matching... Same or similar, you do not create the contrast that everyboby here claims to be necessary.
I could care less what people think is necessary, I personally like matching at least an element of my tie/square.
1) So why are you talking about marketing to prove that Patek is only marketing when you like a brand which spend much more on marketing than Patek? What is a better movement ? I only think that a Patek movement cost xxx times more to produce in time and money than a Rolex one. That's all. Rolex movement are used in Rolex only and they are cheap... 2) So who is making a short supply to increase price? Patek pr Rolex? 3) So this is logical you prefer Rolex to Patek

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol... ernest, I have a 14" forearm and about 9.5" wrist.  That's why I need a larger watch.  That's what happens when you bench twice your body weight.
And what is the use of bentch twice your body weight?

To have large wrist like farmers?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patek was originally seen as more exclusive, which justifies the higher prices, however you can get Patek in far more retail outlets, however, people are still paying the higher prices for the present time, that will change.

I don't really think it costs that much more to make a Patek than it does to make a Rolex, material costs excluded. Certainly the movement is a bit more intricate and smaller to fit in the slimmer case, but that's about it. Certainly the "complicated" line of Pateks may be much more difficult to make, but the regular Calatrava? I doubt it costs much more than a Daytona chronograph.

You know what? I don't really like Rolex much more than Patek, I just happen to own a Daytona (and a Sea Dweller). I actually do like Patek, and I posted a Patek watch that I like quite a bit. I just think for the most part that they are overpriced and that they aren't as exclusive as they once were. It's not that I don't like Patek Phillippe in general, I just don't like the one you have.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes ernest, in fact I have to go plow the fields now, I think I'll wear the Daytona while I do it.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Â Seamaster is not a simple watch. It is a big sportwatch
Well, maybe sometimes when we play sports OR if we are the sporting type then this is our preference. Â Nothing wrong with that. Â Even the royal family enjoys some yachting and polo occasionally.
2) It has been made in 1977. What do you want more durable? Scratches? You are ridiculious there because there are no special scratches (this is simply a brushed case so it doesn't shine.) and because scratches do not change a watch. What do you do with your Rolex after the  first scratch? Do find it ugly?
The watch looks very nice, but you can tell it isn't brand new.
You do not like blue?
Blue is a very nice color, indeed.
3) You are rather fat I know, so it is true that large watch are better on you than very thin one but you have large watches which are not tacky and have a real movement.
Ernest, we have yet to see your member photo, so we have no way of knowing whether you are skinny or fat.
On clothing, I guess you have different taste with the all forum as NOBODY would say it is nice to match tie/pocket...
ummmm....you lost me on this one.
1) But you shouldn't wear a watch when you play sport as it will damage the movement 2) Who has said iy was brand new? Should a watch look brand new to be nice for our friend? A watch of 77 brand new would be odd 3) I am between, 175cm, 79kg, you see my body on my pictures and the shape of my face. You see I have no baby bottock instead of cheeks.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. Â I bailed prior to the beginning of the discussion. Â Saw his Avatar and PMed J. Â I imagined nothing that followed would be of value. Right I was.
Aha...Dat Vas You. Jahvohl... Ve Vill Find you Und Do Vat Ve Do to Stoolies, Der lovvest on der totem pole uff life.
devil.gif
JJF

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was a diversion, and luckily I was able to get some work done while I was conversing with yall.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a diversion, and luckily I was able to get some work done while I was conversing with yall.
Ha ha, yeah, me too.

I do find ernest to be (intentionally or not) hilarious, though. It's good not to take him seriously.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The speed which responses are being added to is indeed reminiscent of Kalra-Gate.

Sorry ernest. Perhaps due to the better command of the language, Kalra was much more entertaining.

Just my O.

JJF

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patek was originally seen as more exclusive, which justifies the higher prices, however you can get Patek in far more retail outlets, however, people are still paying the higher prices for the present time, that will change.

I don't really think it costs that much more to make a Patek than it does to make a Rolex, material costs excluded.  Certainly the movement is a bit more intricate and smaller to fit in the slimmer case, but that's about it.  Certainly the "complicated" line of Pateks may be much more difficult to make, but the regular Calatrava?  I doubt it costs much more than a Daytona chronograph.

You know what?  I don't really like Rolex much more than Patek, I just happen to own a Daytona (and a Sea Dweller).  I actually do like Patek, and I posted a Patek watch that I like quite a bit.  I just think for the most part that they are overpriced and that they aren't as exclusive as they once were.  It's not that I don't like Patek Phillippe in general, I just don't like the one you have.
But a chrono is not a simple watch like Calatrava...

Most of brands are overpriced and Patek is not more than Rolex

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ernest, do you honestly think it costs more to make a Calatrava than say, a Sea Dweller? And if it does, do you think that accounts for the $7000 difference in price between the two watches?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ 17 Nov. 2004, 5:04) It was a diversion, and luckily I was able to get some work done while I was conversing with yall.
Ha ha, yeah, me too. I do find ernest to be (intentionally or not) hilarious, though. It's good not to take him seriously.
Above all because this is a very forum dealing with very serious subjects...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads