• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko makes an automatic watch using a flywheel that has absolutely constant movement (not 1/5 second jerks, the second hand sweeps)  No swiss manufacturer has even come close to making a movement like that.  I will post details later, I'm on my way out.
I do not think Seiko is more accurate than others.

Anyways, one more time, we do not judge a watch just on accuracy, otherwise quartz would be the best watches.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything else ?
Nothing yet, but I'm sure something will come to mind.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with accuracy, it has to do with its features. This is the new Grand Seiko spring drive. It's about $8000 or so. Pretty badass, I would get one of those if possible, they were only 500 of these made in the world.
GS_1.jpg
Here is a review of the Credor spring drive. http://ninanet.net/watches/others09/...s/mspring.html

Tom

Reaction score
I am in agreement with Ernest regarding simplicity. I don't like watches with lots of dials and knobs and buttons. My daily watch is this one...
96B75_lg.jpg

Giona Granata

Reaction score
(Giona Granata @ 16 Nov. 2004, 09:58)
Originally Posted by ernest,16 Nov. 2004, 12:43
Originally Posted by Giona Granata,16 Nov. 2004, 09:39
It's perfect for a french.
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?

I mean, it's horrible.
As French are markedly taller than Italians they do not need a Panerai to look more masculine...
French will need much more then a Panerai to look masculine.

Giona Granata

Reaction score
(ernest @ 16 Nov. 2004, 8:37) As French are markedly taller than Italians they do not need a Panerai to look more masculine...
Whatever sins Italians may have, and I would maintain they have few, being effeminate compared to the French is not one of them.
We are just joking a little bit. You know, we love French.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 16 Nov. 2004, 9:07) Anything else ?
Nothing yet, but I'm sure something will come to mind.
With so much imagiation for a writer, I understand why you can not buy a Patek...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with accuracy, it has to do with its features. This is the new Grand Seiko spring drive.  It's about $8000 or so.  
You said that : movement (not 1/5 second jerks

So it is matter of accuracy, no ?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with accuracy. A quartz watch ticks every second, an automatic ticks 5 times a second, which one of the reasons people like an automatic, because it looks like the movement is smoother and there is no ticking sound. A spring drive watch's second hand sweeps, meaning there is no noticable mechanical movement, technologically this is amazing, I'm sure you can figure out why if you think about it.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with accuracy.  A quartz watch ticks every second, an automatic ticks 5 times a second, which one of the reasons people like an automatic, because it looks like the movement is smoother and there is no ticking sound.  A spring drive watch's second hand sweeps, meaning there is no noticable mechanical movement, technologically this is amazing, I'm sure you can figure out why if you think about it.
I know the difference between quartz and mecanic but what has this Seiko more?

The ticking is the same on auto or mecanic so I do not undertsand how can people like auto because there is no tickings...

There is NO ticking on quartz.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with accuracy.  A quartz watch ticks every second, an automatic ticks 5 times a second, which one of the reasons people like an automatic, because it looks like the movement is smoother and there is no ticking sound.  A spring drive watch's second hand sweeps, meaning there is no noticable mechanical movement, technologically this is amazing, I'm sure you can figure out why if you think about it.
Ok I see. There is no jump at all.

I do not see what difference it makes. Sure not enough to say Seiko is making better watches than Patek, JL or vacheron.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ 17 Nov. 2004, 6:34) No, it has nothing to do with accuracy. A quartz watch ticks every second, an automatic ticks 5 times a second, which one of the reasons people like an automatic, because it looks like the movement is smoother and there is no ticking sound. A spring drive watch's second hand sweeps, meaning there is no noticable mechanical movement, technologically this is amazing, I'm sure you can figure out why if you think about it.
Ok I see. There is no jump at all. I do not see what difference it makes. Sure not enough to say Seiko is making better watches than Patek, JL or vacheron.
Seiko certainly does not make watches that are recognized with such prestige as Patek et al, but you must admit that you are sound like you are falling victim to marketing and brand recognition yourself. You have not checked out the Grand Seiko watches yourself, you just assume that they cannot possibly be as good a movement as Boucheron (sp). How is this any different from people who think Rolex watches are best and that's that. I have to say that I am intrigued after hearing Drizzt's comments about Seiko. Although I find most of their designs to be rather boring, you never know until you see it in person.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Drizzt, that is an amazing watch technologically, although I think Seiko needs serious help in the design department. The idea that it may be the first analog watch ever certainly appeals to me, although for myself I'd have to have one (undoubtedly under development now) with kinetic winding. A watch that I've forgotten to wind would be completely useless to me.

May I make myself look so dumb as to ask some of you watch people, What is a jewel, and why would I want to have 30 of them?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh. I don't think you're getting the point. Personally I could care less what movement is in my watch as long as it is reliable and mechanical (as I don't like the jerky movement) The Seiko spring drive is the newest technology on the market, and the Swiss are desperately trying to figure it out, without any success. A few pics of the Grand Seiko:
SBGA005-02.jpg
SBGA003.jpg
Here is a link with a movie of the Grand Seiko Spring Drive, you need to figure out these links if you don't read Japanese though, it's fairly intuitive though. http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/9r65/about1.asp Apparently this watch was just released in Japan, and should be available in the US in the next several years, MSRP in Japan is about $4500 and apparently at some places in Japan you can get it for a bit less ($3000-3500 or so) Seiko took >23 YEARS< to develop the Spring Drive technology, it's really quite neat. The Credor spring drive watch is substantially less expensive, here are some pictures of that. FWIW, the Spring Drive Seikos have a power reserve indicator and a much more efficient mechanical movement that gives it quartz-like accuracy, perfect movement, and lets you know when it needs to be wound (worn) For me, that eliminates all the issues I have with mechanical watches. They also look awesome inside and out.
picture.JPG
picture.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics