Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Nov 16, 2004.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

The watch is certainly unusual and unlike what every other man is wearing, if that's important or, alternatively, doesn't concern you.

I'm no watch expert (my sole watch is an Omega Seamaster), but I don't think it looks particularly appealing. It certainly doesn't look like a classic Patek consistent with their current ads -- "you never really own a Patek, you just maintain it for the next twelve generations" or something like that. It's a dated look -- the early 1970s is spot on. It's not ugly by any means, just different, IMO.

2. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Really ugly is my opinion.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm not a big fan of the watch either. I know absolutely nothing about fine watches, though. It looks very Art Deco to me. Could someone tell me a little more about this particular model?

So is that the way the game is played, ernest? You'd better do my bidding then... Ernest... Obi Wan lied... I am your father...

You must stop buying suits 2 sizes too big. You must get a job. You must dress down in jeans and a t-shirt. Maybe uncinch (Dunhill?) your belt a little. I hear it helps the... digestive tract work better. Your will is weak. Join the Dark Side...

Sorry Steve, it's too much fun sometimes.

4. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

My thoughts exactlly

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I do not like the shape of it at all, neither the width of the ... rim? No idea what the outside metal piece is called.

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

Nothing else?

What do you mean?

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

It's called the bezel. That watch looks ridiculous. Here is a cool Patek: [​IMG] Here are some other cool watches: I wouldn't mind this... [​IMG] My favorite watch (got it as a gift): [​IMG] Cool IWC: [​IMG] Bvlgari Diagono Scuba: [​IMG] My next watch will be this in Ti: [​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Chronograph fan, huh? I really like the IWC, but am not a huge fan of the Scuba watches under that one.

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

Patek L&S Too charged. I like simple watches. Good thing for me as all these complications make the watch and maintenance cost 5 more times . I do not like Breit at all. Just tacky big watches with buttons and dials everywhere with nothing in the stomach but ETA movement of 200 euros. I am not Schwarzy so AP is to huge for my wrist. No comment on Scuba (in France we call this Vulgari...).

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I do love chronographs, although I have quite a few that aren't. Some watches I have: Breitling Crosswind Special (I have this in black and blue both) [​IMG] Bvlgari Solotiempo: [​IMG] Rolex Daytona: (Mine is SS/14k on a bracelet though) [​IMG] Omega Seamaster: [​IMG]

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Breitling uses a modified ETA movement in some of its watches and Valjoux in others. Kelek modifies their movements extensively, and they are among the most accurate movements in existence. AP uses the same movements as does Bvlgari and others. While certainly not as intricate as a lange or patek movement, they are more durable and functional.

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

It is only a motto. Many Patek spot on.

The golden Ellipse is still in production today and has been one of the most sold Patek over the past 30 years.

So if one Patek can be reconized from far as a Patek, this is this one.

13. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

(drizzt3117 @ 17 Nov. 2004, 01:46) It's called the bezel. My next watch will be this in Ti: [​IMG]
    I do not like Breit at all. Just tacky big watches with buttons and dials everywhere with nothing in the stomach but ETA movement of 200 euros.
    Ahh yes...The Breitling in Titanium... The perfect Farmers watch... [​IMG] JJF

14. ernest

ernest Senior member

The problem is not accuracy as I do not need a watch which keep time perfectly.

The problem is paying $3000 for just a steel case with nothing inside but a swatch movement you find on many $200 watches. That makes expensive for a case.

When such case has not even an original style/shape, I do not see why to buy it...

More durable than a Patek? I do not think so. But anyway, this is not the problem.

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 16 Nov. 2004, 8:03)
    It's called the bezel. My next watch will be this in Ti: [​IMG]
    I do not like Breit at all. Just tacky big watches with buttons and dials everywhere with nothing in the stomach but ETA movement of 200 euros.
    Ahh yes...The Breitling in Titanium... The perfect Farmers watch... [​IMG] JJF
    Just the dream, less or more realistic, of the average Joe... If you are pilot, it could be a good choice. If you have already X nice watches (Patek, vacheron, JL...)and wanted to have a casual watch for WE, it could be a good choice too. In any other situation, I do not see why buying such a tacky watch which will lost 30% of his value as soon as you go out the shop.