• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cartier do not make his movement. Watches are nice but movement not "in house" and often very cheap from ETA (= 100 euros).
Any comments on that people... What of the Pasha, which I own, I mean the movement does not look like it cost 100 Euros / 60 English... (perhaps that could be the mark up, but if that is the case, it surely is with all watch brands) Thank you so much Image WIS for clearing things up, now we just must tell the misinformed Ernest about his "Jeager" In addition Ernest, "Cartier do not make his movement." Is nonsensical English, for one thing your verb does not agree with the subject, and for another I did not know that Louis Cartier is still alive? (Sarcasm). Moreover, as I said before in a quote from the Cartier catalogue: "Cartier makes it a point of honor to create the majority of its movements" (so if you want to argue with that Ernest, you will need to take Cartier to court). Although WIS you did say so, so I would agree with you as you seem very knowledgeable about watches. Although I would not agree with the Rolex-Benz comparision. I would say that a Cartier, Audemars Piguet, and Bvlgari are like a Benz, Maserati, Jaguar or Porsche, quite well made but not outstanding, but forfill their function impeccably, and look good too. The Pateks, Rolexs and Vacherons of this world are like Audis, Sabbs and Volvos, don't look too good, but built to last with amazing standards of quality. All the watch fanatics out there, don't get me wrong, I agree that the Pateks and Vacherons are far better, but when you compare a five hundred pound nonsense watch (Jaeger) to a Cartier, which both looks by far one of the best watches, and has a reasonable quality movement, I think you are stupid, unless of course old man is your desired image (Jaeger)
When it comes to JLC, they are in a way, the movements behind the other companies' cases. As I stated earlier, they have manufacture for every established haute-horology company, at one time or another. A lot of this was done during the first 50 years of the century past. Honestly, I cannot recall what movement was in the first Santos. It really does not matter if it used a Cartier movement or not. It was a simple Hour and minute manual wind watch. No seconds hand, the automatic winding system was yet to be invented / used (the way we know it now), and watches were really small which made their movements very finicky. To put this another way: when only 3 or 4 companies are producing wristwatches, the movement is not important, just having the watch is important enough. When it comes to time-only watches it's the finishing / redesigning of the movement that really counts. The movement manufacture only really comes into play when you are purchasing movements with complications. A watch that uses an integral dual-column wheel F. Piguet 11xx chronograph Rattrapante movement will work and run better than a watch equipped with a Valjoux 7750 modular heart-cam chronograph Rattrapante. Of course, there is a price difference in the two (at least ~$13,500, depending on the manufacture of the watch), which is actually a good thing. If you want a Rattrapante, but cannot shill the ~$30,000-$160,000 (the latter price is based on a rounded-off figure of the retail price for a PP ref. 5004 Perpetual Rattrapante Chronograph) usually charged for one, then IWC has an offering of a Rattrapante in stainless steel for about ~$10,000. If the IWC is still too much, Omega has a Rattrapante for even less than that. You can't blame corporations for wanting to make money, its what they do. Patek resale prices are high for many reasons, but partially because the factory bids on rare pieces so they can A) acquire them for the PP museum, thus getting into bidding wars with other people who want the same watch and B) so they can raise prices during an auction by bidding on items they have no intention on purchasing. Very clever of them, if I was Philippe Stern I would also make Antiquorum my *****.
tounge.gif
BTW: A Rattrapante is a watch with chronograph movement that lets you time two separate objects with the same watch and to be able to view the difference in time between one object and the other. In English it is called a split-seconds mechanism. Jon.

BGW

Reaction score
Is there a book on watches that someone can recommend?

I am thinking something along the lines of the Vass shoe book, easy to read yet informative, with great pictures.

The Dandy

Reaction score
As usual, the Style Forum's members exhibit good taste.

kalra, while your collection may be a bit too bejeweled for my taste, it is most impressive. I especially like the ROO and Patek Grand Complication. Which particular model of Grand Complication is it? The 3940 and 5039 are my personal favorites, while Putin also happens to wear a 3940 (or so I've been told).

sleeper, what are your impressions of the Lange 1? I think the watch is an absolute masterpiece but fear the size would look ridiculous on my wrist. The Asian market size does not have the same appeal in my mind.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Is there a book on watches that someone can recommend?

I am thinking something along the lines of the Vass shoe book, easy to read yet informative, with great pictures.
I would be interested in the same, if it is available.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a book on watches that someone can recommend? I am thinking something along the lines of the Vass shoe book, easy to read yet informative, with great pictures.
I would be interested in the same, if it is available.
That's a hard thing to recommend. Probably the best way to start to learn is to buy a copy of Wristwatch Annual or a similar publication, which has a nice listing of most of the major companies and the current models they produce. You can also pick up a copy of one of the Antiquorum catalogues to see what vintage / classic models look like. The advantage to the Antiquorum catalogues is that not only are the pictures very high quality but also the information is normally correct. There are also hundreds of books but most of them are not general books (the general books are pretty horrible). There are good individual brand books, is there a particular brand you are interested in? Jon.

kalra2411

Reaction score
kalra, while your collection may be a bit too bejeweled for my taste, it is most impressive. I especially like the ROO and Patek Grand Complication. Which particular model of Grand Complication is it? The 3940 and 5039 are my personal favorites, while Putin also happens to wear a 3940 (or so I've been told).

It's the 5136-1J in yellow gold, white dial, moon phase etc.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote On the topic of watches, my Breitling finally stopped ticking after about five years, so I went to the Tourneau world HQ on 57th Street in NYC to get the battery replaced and have some general servicing done. Much to my chagrin, I was told it had to be sent to Breitling and would take, at a minimum, four weeks to even get an estimate. Does this make sense? I hate to be without my go-to watch for that long.
Which Breitling Model? Because to my understanding only the Emergency needs to go back to the factory for a battery change. Jon.
It's the Transocean.[/quote] There is no reason for your watch to go to the factory if it only needs a battery. Period. How much were they going to charge you? Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the 5136-1J in yellow gold, white dial, moon phase etc.
kalra, Something to add to your collection perhaps?
pp2.jpg
It's the new ref. 5970 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph. Hot of the press from Basel. Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier do not make his movement. Watches are nice but movement not "in house" and often very cheap from ETA (= 100 euros).
Any comments on that people... What of the Pasha, which I own, I mean the movement does not look like it cost 100 Euros / 60 English... (perhaps that could be the mark up, but if that is the case, it surely is with all watch brands) Thank you so much Image WIS for clearing things up, now we just must tell the misinformed Ernest about his "Jeager" In addition Ernest, "Cartier do not make his movement." Is nonsensical English, for one thing your verb does not agree with the subject, and for another I did not know that Louis Cartier is still alive? (Sarcasm). Moreover, as I said before in a quote from the Cartier catalogue: "Cartier makes it a point of honor to create the majority of its movements" (so if you want to argue with that Ernest, you will need to take Cartier to court). Although WIS you did say so, so I would agree with you as you seem very knowledgeable about watches. Although I would not agree with the Rolex-Benz comparision. I would say that a Cartier, Audemars Piguet, and Bvlgari are like a Benz, Maserati, Jaguar or Porsche, quite well made but not outstanding, but forfill their function impeccably, and look good too. The Pateks, Rolexs and Vacherons of this world are like Audis, Sabbs and Volvos, don't look too good, but built to last with amazing standards of quality. All the watch fanatics out there, don't get me wrong, I agree that the Pateks and Vacherons are far better, but when you compare a five hundred pound nonsense watch (Jaeger) to a Cartier, which both looks by far one of the best watches, and has a reasonable quality movement, I think you are stupid, unless of course old man is your desired image (Jaeger)
Cartier is not a watch company, just a brand on the dial as they do not make their movement, even on the private collection.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote I do not agree that Cartier is a jewerly company considering that the Santos (I think, maybe the Pasha or Tank) was one of the first watches
What is a joke? One of the first watch? Made by whom? Jeager. Cartier do not make his movement. Watches are nice but movement not "in house" and often very cheap from ETA (= 100 euros). Selling a watch of 3 000 euros with such a movement is a "robbery". What's why Cartier lose more money than Patek on second market.
Why make up rubbish, for one thing "Jeager" as you call it assuming you mean Jaeger Le Coultre, did not invent the first watch, although, I believe I was a little unclear; I meant wristwatch, Cartier DID and it was the Santos, given to the Santos of some country as a gift. Moreover, for your information Mr. "Jeager" fan, the "reverso" design, which they love so much, is actually Cartiers'. They bought the patent from them (The Tank Basculette). Therefore, may I take the time to tell you: oh dear Mr. five hundred pound watch brand invented the first watch. Perhaps if you had said Vacheron Constantine, you may have had an argument as they invented their watch around the same time as Cartier.[/quote] Jeager (not lecoultre) for Cartier

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blancpain: I love, love Blancapin. Best overall watch manufactured today IMHO. The finish, the movement, the quality and design of the case / bracelet, and the price are all in line with what they offer. Resale might not be as good as PP or AP, but it is much better than Breguet, VC, etc...
I love Blancpain as well -- the Leman series is the perfect size for a modern wristwatch, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, they have a reputation for being fickle and for having horrible customer service.  In fact, I had to send my Aqua Lung to Weehawken in mid-February to correct an inexplicable rate gain.  I received a call from my authorized dealer yesterday informing me that the watch is back from service.  A little more than two months' wait -- not too bad so long as the problem is fixed.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote I do not agree that Cartier is a jewerly company considering that the Santos (I think, maybe the Pasha or Tank) was one of the first watches
What is a joke? One of the first watch? Made by whom? Jeager. Cartier do not make his movement. Watches are nice but movement not "in house" and often very cheap from ETA (= 100 euros). Selling a watch of 3 000 euros with such a movement is a "robbery". What's why Cartier lose more money than Patek on second market.
Why make up rubbish, for one thing "Jeager" as you call it assuming you mean Jaeger Le Coultre, did not invent the first watch, although, I believe I was a little unclear; I meant wristwatch, Cartier DID and it was the Santos, given to the Santos of some country as a gift. Moreover, for your information Mr. "Jeager" fan, the "reverso" design, which they love so much, is actually Cartiers'. They bought the patent from them (The Tank Basculette). Therefore, may I take the time to tell you: oh dear Mr. five hundred pound watch brand invented the first watch. Perhaps if you had said Vacheron Constantine, you may have had an argument as they invented their watch around the same time as Cartier.[/quote] Compare Cartier and Jeager means you do not know very much about watches... You can like sissy's watches but avoid giving us watch lessons.

kalra2411

Reaction score
What on earth is Jeager?

ImageWIS, beautiful, but I just bought a Vacheron.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why make up rubbish, for one thing "Jeager" as you call it assuming you mean Jaeger Le Coultre, did not invent the first watch, although, I believe I was a little unclear; I meant wristwatch, Cartier DID and it was the Santos, given to the Santos of some country as a gift. Moreover, for your information Mr. "Jeager" fan, the "reverso" design, which they love so much, is actually Cartiers'. They bought the patent from them (The Tank Basculette). Therefore, may I take the time to tell you: oh dear Mr. five hundred pound watch brand invented the first watch. Perhaps if you had said Vacheron Constantine, you may have had an argument as they invented their watch around the same time as Cartier.[/quote] Where did you find I was a Reverso fan or even a Jeager fan? I have a Cartier, so I am a Cartier fan? I telle Jeager is better than Cartier so I am a Jeager fan? I have the both and prefer Jeager...What am I ? ......

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200 euros? What does it look like? Who talked about Pacha? Please do not think only with the watch you own... What is the movement of a PACHA? Made by whom? What is his cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads