• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watch with my new strap

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DO you like this combo?
pict00038ld.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
It looks nice but why black out the part that says "Seiko?"

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks nice but why black out the part that says "Seiko?"
It is black because of the light.

In fact it is silver.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ever tried a NATO strap? I find those very handsome on that style watch.
No but as the watch is thick I am afraid that the NATO looks too thin for the case.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What don't you like in this strap?

armscye

Reaction score
I'm afraid I must give this a thumbs down. The watch is a stainless diver style-- basically in the style of the Rolex Submariner, but not a real Rolex. Submariners and other high-grade diving-style watches use a link piece to fill the crescent-shaped space between the metal band and the watch. They also ALWAYS match the band color to the watch color. So you're violating three rules of watch styling, and not doing it artfully.

IMHO, to gain minimal acceptability you could use:

A perforated rubber strap (not the Casio accordion plastic style)

A Breitling style stitched waterproof leather strap,

A nylon strap that matches the width between the lugs (you'd need a respectable buckle, not one of those stamped steel abominations)

(best of all) a silver stainless strap with proper link pieces, preferably marked Seiko so it is clearly matched to the watch.

The final problem is that stainless dive watches with stainless bands have become ubiquitous, and can be found for $20 or $30 in any grocery store. They no longer have the rugged cachet they did in the Fifties, when Ian Fleming put a utility-grade Rolex on 007's wrist because it was so unusual with a suit, and so notably military influenced.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I must give this a thumbs down. The watch is a stainless diver style-- basically in the style of the Rolex Submariner, but not a real Rolex. Submariners and other high-grade diving-style watches use a link piece to fill the crescent-shaped space between the metal band and the watch. They also ALWAYS match the band color to the watch color. So you're violating three rules of watch styling, and not doing it artfully.

IMHO, to gain minimal acceptability you could use:

A perforated rubber strap (not the Casio accordion plastic style)

A Breitling style stitched waterproof leather strap,

A nylon strap that matches the width between the lugs (you'd need a respectable buckle, not one of those stamped steel abominations)

(best of all) a silver stainless strap with proper link pieces, preferably marked Seiko so it is clearly matched to the watch.

The final problem is that stainless dive watches with stainless bands have become ubiquitous, and can be found for $20 or $30 in any grocery store. They no longer have the rugged cachet they did in the Fifties, when Ian Fleming put a utility-grade Rolex on 007's wrist because it was so unusual with a suit, and so notably military influenced.
Who said it was a Rolex? Not me. I do not need a Rolex as I like very much this watch.

How  brands sell their watches has nothing to do with taste or style but rather with profit (a bracelet is more expensive than a rubber strap).
If Rolex sells its watches with a bracelet it doesn't mean that this looks nice or even the less  that everybody must follow the same thing as a rule  (many "diver" watches are sold with a rubber strap anyway).

Look better, the color of the strap matches with the bezel and the dial.

What would change if the strap had holes?

What would change regarding to the space if I take a leather strap?

I have the Seiko original bracelet but it looks cheap, the buckle is a big ****, it is not confortable and I prefer rubber.

I would never wear a sport watch with a suit.

I do not wear a watch to show off so I do not need to follow the Rolex or Breit styles.

I can understand you do not like the strap but I do not understand the reasons in fact.

armscye

Reaction score
You asked, bro. Now you want to argue with the answers you get?

Apparently 70+% of your audience does NOT like what they see...

Next time don't ask...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You asked, bro. Now you want to argue with the answers you get?

Apparently 70+% of your audience does NOT like what they see...

Next time don't ask...
Are you reading my messages?

That 70% do not like my strap is not a problem as I like the strap.

The only problem is I do not UNDERSTAND your arguments and found them totaly senseless (rules NOT to break, what Rolex do...) and I explained you why.

So I hope you could express you opinion with more sense.

bch

Reaction score
Ernest:

You said "That 70% do not like my strap is not a problem as I like the strap."

> Super. You're happy. That's all that matters. But your apparent indifference is at odds with (1) the fact that this thread exists at all and (2) your aggressive reaction to negative votes.

You said: "The only problem is I do not UNDERSTAND your arguments and found them totaly senseless (rules NOT to break, what Rolex do...) and I explained you why."

> It's all subjective. It's like arguing with the guy who says he thinks you picked a bad color for your car. The man didn't like your strap. Nor do I for that matter. Why did you get a strap that mimics a cheap black ano'd bracelet? Or maybe your photo doesn't do it justice. Maybe it looks spectacular in real life. What difference does it make who likes it or not? Don't take it so personally.

> You ask if the man if he likes your strap. The man does not like your strap, and he says so. You attack the man. Let it go.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear your coat long and keep from checking the time, no one will ever see that watch strap. It is a little hard to do, but in time, you become proficient. I have decided not to wear my watch, and since I made that decision, I am able wear my coat a little shorter, short enough to show a bit of my shirt, which is nice, but no watch, logically. Also, without my watch on, I verify the time on my computer, or on my phone, both of which are generally right in front of me. And so I have all that going for me. Which is nice. Of course, it has been a long time since I put on my watch, and so now I don't know where it is. That is a bit worrisome. I should look for it, but then I turn the corner, or I think of cold soda, and then I forget to look. This forgetfulness or, rather, this absentmindedness, or perhaps it should be labeled flightiness is also a bit worrisome. I take it in stride. I give myself a good sock in the arm.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ernest:

You said "That 70% do not like my strap is not a problem as I like the strap."

>  Super.  You're happy.  That's all that matters.  But your apparent indifference is at odds with (1) the fact that this thread exists at all and (2) your aggressive reaction to negative votes.

You said:  "The only problem is I do not UNDERSTAND your arguments and found them totaly senseless  (rules NOT to break, what Rolex do...) and I explained you why."

>  It's all subjective.  It's like arguing with the guy who says he thinks you picked a bad color for your car.  The man didn't like your strap.  Nor do I for that matter.  Why did you get a strap that mimics a cheap black ano'd bracelet?  Or maybe your photo doesn't do it justice.  Maybe it looks spectacular in real life.  What difference does it make who likes it or not?  Don't take it so personally.

>    You ask if the man if he likes your strap.  The man does not like your strap, and he says so.  You attack the man.  Let it go.
You cannot hold an opinion if you cannot back it up with logical reasoning, thus I would say Ernest is right. Even though I too dislike the strap.

bch

Reaction score
I think you can hold an opinion without logical reasoning if it is subjective opinion. I do not like the color fuscia. I don't know why, but I needn't resort to the color wheel and spectrometer to know I don't like it or to justify my opinion. The question of whether one likes a watch strap is implicitly subjective, right? Hey, Johnapril -- Gungagalunga.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads