• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Winder...necessary??

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious if having a winder is necessary. I've never used one. I've had a datejust for a few yrs now and just set the time whenever I needed to.
I just picked up a breitling superocean heritage and started thinking that maybe getting a dual winder would be a good investment.
But then I've heard from some that having a winder will wear down the movement faster since it's constantly running.
Thoughts?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Convenience.

Also a top notch winder, like an Orbita, is a display piece in addition to its functionality.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about getting one as well since half of my watches are automatics. It gets to be a hassle having to constantly reset them, especially on days when I'm rushing out the door.

phr33dom

Reaction score
I use watch winders, got 3 identical Time Tutelary dual watch winders that are cheap and good and almost silent. However, to prevent overwinding I put the winders on timers at the wall socket and kept reducing their ON time until the watch stops because it became underwound. Then increased the time a little so none stop.

Flartchy

Reaction score
I'm not sure there's any "expert opinion" when it comes to this. If it's more convenient for you and you don't mind your watches wearing out faster, go for it. I wear my auto-winders only once every couple of weeks so it would be a complete waste. I just reset the time.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know where this notion of "wearing your watch out" comes from, but take is from someone who collects vintage watches and from my watch maker who services them: For optimal life, you need to keep the motor running!

When a watch movement sits (not running), the oils are not being circulated and gears can dry out or even corrode. This does not happen with a running watch as the gears are constantly auto-lubing. Watches are not like transmissions—the gears are not under heavy load or slippage and a well-serviced watch will not wear out.

In addition, some collectors say that a spring not kept under load tends to sag and lose some of its tension over time. I cannot verify that, but the first reason alone is enough to keep your watches running.

Service all mechanical watches at lest every 5 years and build a relationship with your watchmaker. A good watch maker will give better advice than any internet forum. I’m just sharing advice from mine.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find many different opinions on the subject of winders. They are great to have and can be nice decorations also. When I had 10 watches in my rotation I had a few winders to avoid having to reset dates and days of the week. now that I have only 4 in rotation I do not use one, but keep my watch wound by hand before bed.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
You will find many different opinions on the subject of winders. They are great to have and can be nice decorations also. When I had 10 watches in my rotation I had a few winders to avoid having to reset dates and days of the week. now that I have only 4 in rotation I do not use one, but keep my watch wound by hand before bed.

True, everyone has different opinions and if you keep your watch wound by hand you should be fine.

To the OP, I would check with your watch maker and go with his recommendation. I'm sure sitting for a day or two stopped won't kill it. The problem comes when it stops for an extended period of time.

ipsedixit

Reaction score
The only time a watch winder is necessary, imo, is when you have a watch with an annual or perpetual complication that cannot be easily reset, or adjusted. Some perpetual calendars like the Lange can be adjusted one setting at a time; others like the IWC not so much so it becomes a hassle to get all the years, days, dates, months and lunar calendar lined up after the watch stops.

MrNiceGuy22

Reaction score
What's your opinion about the Wolf winders? They seem expensive. Are they really worth it, compared to a cheaper brand like Versa?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads