• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch vs. Watch: Hamilton Field Quartz vs. Seiko 5 Military

Paerra

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple, classic military watch, and I narrowed down my search to two contenders:
1) Hamilton Field Quartz (a.k.a. Khaki III) - Amazon.com link - $105
2) Seiko 5 Military Automatic - Amazon.com link - $86

I basically know nothing about watches, but I understand that these two are regarded highly. Obviously, there are some differences between the two (strap material, movement, brand heritage, etc.), and I'm wondering what your general impressions are - which one you like better.

Personally, I like the general look and brand name heritage of the Hamilton better, not to mention the cool strap, but I prefer the automatic movement of the Seiko, not to mention the low, low price.

Thanks for weighing in

eh.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say highly regarded, but yes the hamilton and seiko 5 series are both well regarded for their movements and good price to quality ratio. This hamilton is a quartz though, which is arguably less authentic than a mechanical movement (most enthusiasts prefer mechanical movements). If this doesn't bother you and/or you'd rather not adjust your watch once every few weeks/month then all the power to you, personally I'm partial to the seiko for its in-house mechanical movement and to my eye more vintage appearance. Modern day mechanical hamiltons use ETA movements which are somewhat standard fare yet they are reliable/decent none the less. Vintage hamiltons use in-house movements which are generally of better quality, but again its a matter of what you value. Hope this helps. Props to you for not buying a Guess/DKNY/Fossil/Calvin Klein watch turd
smile.gif

borderline

Reaction score
I have that Hamilton and love it. I wanted a nice looking watch that was classy and inexpensive and while I generally prefer automatics, I had a need for one that I didn't have to reset. Good price too. Overstock.com has it sometimes. The leather band is very stiff though.

Goldlion

Reaction score
i've got the seiko and love it. quite suitable in any types of outfit. it's my no-brainer watch, even my girl quietly wears it out without my knowledge most times.

but the watch stops running within 2 days of not wearing it.

capnpyro

Reaction score
I think I like the Citizen in the alternate suggestions box down below, I might go with one actually Amazon link Previously I was looking at this Swiss Army watch but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend on a military type watch, link

kontai69

Reaction score
I like the Hamilton better. The numbers on the dial are larger and more legible. One thing to consider with the Seiko 5 is that it has a relatively inexpensive mechanical movement. I use to own one. Unless you get an exemplary sample and/or regulate (ie "tune" it), it will likely run at least 10-15 seconds fast or slow per day, meaning it could be off by over a minute per week. The quartz Hamilton will run much more accurately and consistent. Something to consider if you are the more practical type.

And no, I don't have anything against mechanical watches. I own three.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get the Seikos on eBay for under $50 shipped from Hong Kong. I like mine as a cheap gym beater, but as noted above, it tends to gain about a minute a week, and, because it's so cheap, it isn't really worth regulating.

To my eye the Hamilton looks better and is probably built to a better standard. I'm not sure if I would risk submerging my Seiko5 in water. You just have to decide if the auto movement outweighs the Hamilton's obvious advantages.

Dave Walker

Reaction score
I'm with everyone else - The Hamilton looks loads classier and I agree airport lobby, it will definitely be built better...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where's the poll? My vote for the automatic, not the quartz. Always.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
To my eye the Hamilton looks better and is probably built to a better standard.

Originally Posted by Dave Walker
I agree airport lobby, it will definitely be built better...

???

Ask any watch enthusiasts open-minded enough to look beyond offerings from Swiss makers, they would say Seiko quality compares very favorably to just about any entry to mid level Swiss house. The Hamilton is "definitely better built"? No way.

I agree with Greg. When all else are similar (design etc.), automatic beats quartz every time. Now if the Hamilton Field watch is mechanical, or even better, a vintage piece from back when Hamilton Watch is truly American (as opposed to American in name, The Swatch Group owned in reality), that'd be a very different story...

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Seiko5, including the movement, is built outside of Japan. There's a reason these can be had sub-$50. I'd expect the Japan-made Seikos, which are pricier (see the Spirit) are more comparable to the Swiss-made Hamiltons.

Automatic doesn't beat Quartz every time when the auto is inaccurate, isn't as water resistant, and accuracy is required (as with a primary watch). I have the Seiko5 and I'm pleased with it. But it has some obvious drawbacks.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
I believe the Seiko5, including the movement, is built outside of Japan. There's a reason these can be had sub-$50. I'd expect the Japan-made Seikos, which are pricier (see the Spirit) are more comparable to the Swiss-made Hamiltons.

Many Seikos, not just models from the Seiko 5, are made outside of Japan (in Malaysia, IIRC) as well: some, if not most 7th generation Seiko divers (SKX007, Monsters and the like), for example. And from what I've read on TimeZone Seiko & Citizen forum & WUS, among others, there's no difference in build quality.

The movement is the time-tested 7S26, the same one inside the aforementioned divers (there're many stories of well-run 10+ yr old pieces). Out of the box it'd probably be off +/- 10sec a day on average, but can easily and inexpensively regulated to run within +/- 5 secs like much more expensive COSC Swiss autos.

Hamilton Field Quartz can be had for really cheap too, if one's hell bent to make judgement solely on pricing.

Oxnard

Reaction score
at those prices I would go with the Hamilton, but thats just me. I have had seikos and hamiltons, and personally I like Hamilton more overall. Seiko makes some really nice watches that they sell within Japan (like the spirit) for a few hundred dollars, but I am not quite so fond of there sub-$200 wathces that you see within the U.S.A. a lot. If you ever feel like dropping a little bit more money, and you like Seiko, this is a great site to check out for Japan-made Seikos.
http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...5_SCVS013.html

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Hamilton Field Quartz can be had for really cheap too, if one's hell bent to make judgement solely on pricing.

Judgment isn't "hell-bent" or based on pricing. I own the watch. I like the watch. But it feels like a $50 watch. No sapphire, no hack, no water resistance, cheap band. I also own a cheap Swiss quartz (Tissot), which has much better finish. Meh.

IGF-1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Many Seikos, not just models from the Seiko 5, are made outside of Japan (in Malaysia, IIRC) as well: some, if not most 7th generation Seiko divers (SKX007, Monsters and the like), for example. And from what I've read on TimeZone Seiko & Citizen forum & WUS, among others, there's no difference in build quality.

The movement is the time-tested 7S26, the same one inside the aforementioned divers (there're many stories of well-run 10+ yr old pieces). Out of the box it'd probably be off +/- 10sec a day on average, but can easily and inexpensively regulated to run within +/- 5 secs like much more expensive COSC Swiss autos.

i have a seiko 5, tips/resources on regulation?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads