• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch vs. Watch: Hamilton Field Quartz vs. Seiko 5 Military

mrtophat

Reaction score
I have a Hamilton khaki auto and it's really not that big, and I think I have pretty skinny wrists. 38mm might seem larger than it is because it refers to the size of the entire case. the face is smaller than that, so it won't look as large as it sounds.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by float
those are nice suggestions but still nothing too closely resembling the khaki hamiltons. i like a few i see on westcoasttime quite a bit. any reason that makes bottom of the list? more looks over function? i'd be happy and willing to spend more on the seiko 5 if it were known to be more reliable at keeping time.

Because I don't think quality of Ollech & Wajs and other military repros on westcoasttime compare to Omegas, Seiko Spirit/Alpinist, or Stowa.

If you're deadset on pilot style watches and willing to spend some money, Stowa Airman is the way to go:
Stowa001a9.jpg

OTOH, the Seiko 5 flieger would only run you around ~$70, and is fantastic if you're on a tight budget.

If prestige if a factor, Hamilton and Archimede both are questionable choices.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko 5 flieger..........

where can you find it? i've looked on several sites no luck...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Seiko 5 flieger..........

where can you find it? i've looked on several sites no luck...

Oh it's the Seiko 5 linked to in the first post. "Flieger" is a nickname used among watch enthusiasts as the dial design follows the pilot (B-Uhren or B-Uhr) watch tradition.

An article on B-Uhren watches. Note that the 5 original makers are A.Lange & Sohne, International Watch Company, Laco, Stowa and Wempe.

The Archimede pilot is basically a straight homage. On a similar note, the modern Hamilton brand has virtually nothing to do with the Lancaster-based watchmaker, which supplied timepieces for the US armed forces.

Edit: best place to get the Seiko 5 is eBay, btw. There're a few choices when it comes to dial color: black, navy, olive green, beige, and beige with luminated hands (harder to find). There're also several other Seiko 5s with military designs/numerals, in difference case size (smallest I've seen is 32mm).

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whaked: how much does that watch run?

Reminiscent of the instrument panel for sure. I really like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads