• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch update...

Yosarian77

Reaction score
I posted on here a few months ago about a watch I was to receive from my fiancee. Background: my fiancee wanted to give me a nice dress watch for a wedding present, but didn't know what to get me. So I told her I'd post on here and let the people on this board offer suggestions.

Well, she presented me with the gift yesterday (we're getting married next weekend). I opened the box and found a new Patek Philippe Calatrava, 18kt white gold, with a black leather strap. It's gorgeous and exactly what I wanted (though not specifically this watch).

I had mentioned liking the Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle to her, but she followed the suggestion of Kai from the board and went with the Patek. She's smart, my future wife.

Thanks again for all who helped.

dug

Reaction score
Nice choice.

Better than overseas which is a sport watch.

I hope she bought a second hand watch as it is never a good deal to buy new watch unless you have a discount of 25/30%.

If she did not you can say she has a good taste but not that she is so smart...

Yosarian77

Reaction score
I hope she bought a second hand watch as it is never a good deal to buy  new watch unless you have a discount of 25/30%.

She did buy it brand new, but not at full retail, I wouldn't imagine. I don't think she wanted to give me a used watch for the wedding gift.

fareau

Reaction score
The man's fiancee gave him a lovely gift as a symbol of her affection and you cast doubt on her intelligence? I suspect that this is simply a glib remark that got lost in translation, but it does seem rather tactless, n'est-ce pas?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. First on the wife, and also on the watch.

Wear it in happiness and good health.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Congratulations and have a great time at your wedding.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful watch that is sure to last a lifetime and more.

I really like the idea of a watch as a wedding gift.  I was talking with my girlfriend (we've been together 2 1/2 years but I don't think marriage will result from this) about a similar subject and I brought up the fact that I would much prefer a nice watch over the traditional wedding ring.  I think the watch is something that actually has a function (along with being an object of beauty, much like the ring).  She thought that was the worst idea she has ever heard, but I think its great.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I think the watch is something that actually has a function (along with being an object of beauty, much like the ring). Â She thought that was the worst idea she has ever heard, but I think its great.
Maybe she thought you meant girls would get watches, as well. I can't imagine anyone of the female persuasion going for a plan that excludes the rock
wink.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 I can't imagine anyone of the female persuasion going for a plan that excludes the rock Â
wink.gif
No kidding. One time I tried to talk to her about the diamond monopoly that DeBeers has set up and how they have made it a tradition over the last 60 years to have diamonds as the set wedding stone. They own around 90% of the diamond mines, so they are able to control the number of stones in the market at any given time. Their campaign 'a diamond is forever' convinces women that they need a diamond wedding ring. It also convinces them to keep diamond jewelry in the family to prevent excess diamonds from reaching the second-hand market and dilluting their strength. The way that they control the number of diamonds in the market allows them to drive the prices high. They have huge storehouses full of stones, but they only sell a limited number each year. There are also (far fetched?) rumors about DeBeers dumping huge piles of diamonds in the sea. I mentioned to her that rubies, emeralds, and saphires are more valuable and rarer than diamonds. I also think they are more beautiful than a colorless diamond. She flipped out on the suggestion of a wedding ring other than diamond.
wow.gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 I can't imagine anyone of the female persuasion going for a plan that excludes the rock Â
wink.gif
No kidding. One time I tried to talk to her about the diamond monopoly that DeBeers has set up and how they have made it a tradition over the last 60 years to have diamonds as the set wedding stone. Â They own around 90% of the diamond mines, so they are able to control the number of stones in the market at any given time. Â Their campaign 'a diamond is forever' convinces women that they need a diamond wedding ring. Â It also convinces them to keep diamond jewelry in the family to prevent excess diamonds from reaching the second-hand market and dilluting their strength. The way that they control the number of diamonds in the market allows them to drive the prices high. Â They have huge storehouses full of stones, but they only sell a limited number each year. Â There are also (far fetched?) rumors about DeBeers dumping huge piles of diamonds in the sea. I mentioned to her that rubies, emeralds, and saphires are more valuable and rarer than diamonds. Â I also think they are more beautiful than a colorless diamond. Â She flipped out on the suggestion of a wedding ring other than diamond. Â
wow.gif

Never underestimate the power of marketing. It's truly stupefying sometimes.

dug

Reaction score
The man's fiancee gave him a lovely gift as a symbol of her affection and you cast doubt on her intelligence? Â I suspect that this is simply a glib remark that got lost in translation, but it does seem rather tactless, n'est-ce pas?
Symbol of affection doesn't involve not to buy with discount or second hand. Going to a shop and buy a brand new watch is very easy. Searching and finding it second hand is more difficult and needs more intelligency.

dug

Reaction score
I hope she bought a second hand watch as it is never a good deal to buy  new watch unless you have a discount of 25/30%. If she did not you can say she has a good taste but not that she is so smart...
She did buy it brand new, but not at full retail, I wouldn't imagine. I don't think she wanted to give me a used watch for the wedding gift.
Would it be a problem for you to have an "used" watch?

Yosarian77

Reaction score
Going to a shop and buy a brand new watch is very easy.

Searching and finding it second hand is more difficult and needs more intelligency.
This reminds me Monte Python's Holy Grail when the French soldiers on top of the tower are insulting King Arthur's men down below.

fareau

Reaction score
Dug,

I was intimating that your choice of words seemed a bit "strong" where Yosarian's girlfriend is concerned. It is not terribly polite to suggest that she is anything less than intelligent. I don't believe you intended to be rude, but you need to be careful.

Having said that, do you not think that many women would find your approach a bit too pragmatic? I'm very much in favor of searching for a bargain, but if it is for a gift to celebrate your impending matrimony, should you not dispense with the frugality? This is not an attack, I very much look forward to your opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads