1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Watch update...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Yosarian77, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

Congrats Yosarian77 on the great present and on our wedding. I hope all goes well on your big day. Since this is a "StyleForum", what are you wearing?
    P.S. As a future lawyer, glad to hear there's some money it.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Oooh, I bet this is the first time two members of the style forum were wed.

I'm kidding, I just had to capitolize on that typo.

3. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

With respect, your math is off. While, of course, your fiancee should only shop around as much as she pleases, if at all, it would be quite worthwhile to shop around for more than "a couple of hours". Remember, she bills $400/hour - I assume she has overhead, like the rest of us, and partners, etc. Then there's tax. I figure that after tax, I'm lucky if I make 20% of my hourly rate. [​IMG]

4. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Good point. I've found the postal service ridiculously unreliable. I had a ticket to a Hornets game sent a short distance a week before the game, which was March 23. The ticket still hasn't arrived. Luckily, I was able to show the New Orleans Arena box office the order number and get into the game. There's something to be said for overnight shipping.

ps - Versace, you beat me to the punch on making a joke about "our wedding." At least now I know I'm not the only one with that sense of humor, haha.

5. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

Damn you bastards... It is legal in Canada for 2 males to be married. Not sure how my girlfriend, or Yosarian77, feel about "our" wedding?.? I would of said the same thing as you guys so it is good to know that there are people just as silly as myself on this forum.

6. dug

dug Well-Known Member

"My fiancee is a lawyer and bills out her time at a little more than $400/hour"

I hope she works not more than 10 hours per mounth if not buying a new watch of 13 000 USD when you earns 64 000 USD per mounth is rather stingy...don't you think so?

400 or 40 USD?

7. fareau

fareau Senior member

Perhaps we should end this thread. I think there is a bit of a disconnect in the conversation.

Yosarian, congratulations on a great gift from a very special woman.

8. Yosarian77

Yosarian77 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I don't know why this deteriorated into this sort of thread, when all I was trying to say was that my fiancee bought me a watch based on suggestions from this board. I know Dug has a perspective on this that he wanted to share (ie, full retail versus the savings one can achieve via the internet) but that wasn't really the point of my post. I think all of us understand the savings the internet can provide...

Yes, my "math" is a bit off on my fiancee's billable versus take home. I wasn't doing a true cost-benefit analysis on the situation, since that would have been ridiculous (thank you for the finance lesson. It's been 8 years since I was in graduate business school.). I was simply pointing out that there are other factors to consider when purchasing an item, particularly a luxury item.

Dug, I decided to read some of your other posts, since I hadn't seen your name on here before. Seems like I might not have understood your rather peculiar sense of humor and perhaps much of it was lost in the French to English translation. I apologize for that.

To answer a more important question as to what I am wearing: Kim's not wearing a traditional wedding dress, but rather a white dress with a red and green floral pattern. I bought a 3-piece Brioni MTM suit for the occasion (S-150 wool, I believe). It's a very dark grey, two button pin stripe. The pinstripes are a very light blue/beige color. Hard to describe. I'll see if I can post some pictures. I'll be wearing a white Paul Smith shirt with cufflinks my brother gave me. The cuff links aren't really my style, but my brother had them made by some jewelry designer in London as a wedding gift to me. They are silver with a gold cross-like design. I haven't made up my mind on the tie. I have a light blue solid Brioni tie that goes nicely with the suit, but might not be so right for a wedding. I also have a dark navy tie with very light silvery stripes. It's a Kiton-seven fold I bought a couple of years ago for a wedding, but I never wore it. Shoes are black cap-toe John Lobb's I bought when I was in London in November (again, thanks to the board, because I wouldn't have even known about Lobb until you guys praised them).

9. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Where your from?

Better show us a picture of the watch and of the girl...

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Just not read this thread. Priceless.

The $400/hr vs, bargainhunting argument really depends on whether there is really an opportunity cost involved. Bill Gates isn't actually losing money by picking up that dollar bill, although he is actually making a lot more than a dollar a (split?) second. I do agree that a fancy schmancy lawyer can afford to plunk down a small fortune for a watch a lot more easily than can, say, a starving academic.

In any case, congratulations Yosarian77, and many happy years ahead.

11. Yosarian77

Yosarian77 Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to be pretentious with the 400/hr comment. It's her money, not mine. Dug just got under my skin a bit. Apologies for writing it in the first place. Should have taken the high road and ignored him.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The one thought that popped into my head upon reading this thread is "Has Jar Jar Binks joined the Styleforum?"

Back on the topic . . . congrats, Yosarian.  Both the watch and the girl sound like keepers.  In my opinion, a watch that is a wedding gift should be bought new, because it symbolizes the new life you are about to start.  Plus, mechanical watches are fickle by nature, so you'll want the protection of the factory warranty just in case.