• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch suggestions needed - for a girl (who generally prefers men's watch styles)

Raven

Reaction score
Everyone,

I was wondering if you can help me out? I'm trying to make a watch purchase (lets say $2000-4000, for the right watch $5000+). I'm a girl, but I don't like the majority of women's watches (because they're too bling'd out, quartz movement, too 'cute', etc.) so I'm open to looking at men's watches too. Also I'm under 30 and working in a corporate setting - so I'd like a watch I can wear for that, or pretty much anywhere.

Criteria:
Automatic
Preferably in-house movement
leather strap or steel is fine
I like a bigger watch... so around 34mm and up
Silver preferably over gold, and generally not a fan of two-tone
Preferably something not too common (I know Rolex is decent, but I guess it seems like too obvious of a choice...)
Swiss or German
Visible back of the watch would be nice (sorry if I don't know the proper term) but not necessary

So far I've been most interested in IWC and Glashutte Original (though the latter, I haven't been able to find anything for less than $5000 so far). I was wondering if anyone has any brands to suggest, and also for the two I've mentioned - are there specific models I should look at. I've also looked into JLC but not as extensively as the other two, so I'm a bit new to what's available w/ them.

One other one I looked at is Frederique Constant - supposedly an up-and-comer, but I'm a bit wary of them not having fully establish themselves yet. I also looked at Panerai - but I think it's too casual for my first watch... and also likely above my budget. I've also tried to avoid brands where I've read and been told are generally 'overpriced' for what they are offering (e.g., Longines, Tag, etc.) based on my price points, though I am open to suggestions.

Lastly, I'm heading to HK and maybe other parts of Asia soon - I was wondering if it's better to buy over there than in North America?

Thanks everyone! (sorry if the post is a bit long)

LilacCords

Reaction score
Rolex Air King - Gents size in Stainless steel.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Any watch that is over $500 can be considered "overpriced" and that tends to be where you end up paying for the name.

For $5000 you won't really find anything in the top watch houses that isn't entry level with any complications and you definitely will not find any in house movements at that price point. I stated this in another thread but unless you're a watch collector there is no point in specifically trying to find an in house movement. If you are going to wear it as a daily "beater" you're probably better off getting a non-in house movement anyway since they are usually the ETA movements which have been time-tested are probably some of the best movements around. Most of the watches around $5k will have a modified ETA movement.

IWC has the pilot line that falls under 5k with some portofino (although the new 2011 portofinos are well above 5k). I doubt you'd be able to find any JLC's listing for $5k and they aren't known for their big watch faces either.

Honestly if my budget were 5k and I wanted to find a watch that isn't in an "entry" model category within a respectable brand I would most likely look at Omega, some IWC if you can stretch or even consider buying used from a collector or on consignment. There are plenty of watches you can find in min condition used from the more famous watch houses - hell you could probably even find some Vacheron's around 6k used in perfect condition.

I'd suggest deciding what complication you want on the watch, be it date, chrono, etc. and start that way.

And please don't buy a rolex. If there's one company where you're "overpaying" Rolex is that company.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
002-7787-Jaeger-Le-Coultre-Reverso-Classique-250886.jpg

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is somewhat similar to you with regard to watches, in terms of preferences. She only wears larger men's (or "unisex") watches and has an appreciation for mechanical over quartz. She still buys what some would dismiss as"fashion" watches, because of her strong interest in fashion in general, but they are automatics with good ETA movements. She currently has a couple of different Hermes automatic watches (the Cape Cod model looks really good with the double-wrap leather strap) as well as a Dior Homme Chiffre Rouge.

A men's Omega mechanical watch seems like a good possibility for you. Or what about something from Sinn or even a mechanical Cartier?

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Maurice Lacroix. They're around the $2000-4000 range as well. Not sure if it'd be your style but they're quite interesting!
Maurice-Lacroix-Masterpiece-Chrono-Squelette-thumb-450x316-2212.jpg
You CANNOT go wrong with that JLC Reverso though. Classic.

Raven

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far!

Alpha: Yeah, I'm kind of aware that I'll have only entry-level watches at under $5000 (and I'm completely fine with that), and probably very few that do in-house. I think GO does, but again over $5K. I was thinking about the IWC Portofino as the starter watch to look at (esp. since there's a new 2011 line coming up) but I guess you kind of burst the bubble on that one - that it's higher than 5K : )

I would be hesitant to buy a watch used simply because I'm not particularly experienced, so I wouldn't know if I'm getting a good deal based on quality of the used watch.

And on the Omega... is there a few models you would suggest I look at? I was hesitant to look at them for the same reason as why I wouldn't really want to buy Rolex - because it's pretty common. But at least much less so, it seems.

GBear: The Maurice Lacroix looks interesting (the pic is pretty cool, maybe a bit too busy for my tastes); I'll check it out.

Spertia: Not sure if I want to buy from Cartier... If possible, I'd like to buy from a dedicated watchmaker.

For my price range - are there any watch brands/models I should stay away from?

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is their skeletonized face chronograph. They have a couple cleaner looking ones but definitely look into JLC or even Ulysse Nardin if you like that style.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll perform my usual function in watch threads and suggest you look at Nomos.

In all seriousness, if you like the minimalist Bauhaus styling, they would seem to be very much what you're after.

{edit}Perhaps Dornbluth might be an option worth looking at too? If that's not too much on the large side for you - all 42mm IIRC.{/edit}

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
002-7787-Jaeger-Le-Coultre-Reverso-Classique-250886.jpg

This.

Timeless, in-house movement, exposition caseback, and can be dressed up or down by going with different strap options. There are multiple sizes available, so depending on your wrist circumference you may consider checking out the standard men's model. Reversos are also good buys on the secondary market.

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
I'll perform my usual function in watch threads and suggest you look at Nomos. In all seriousness, if you like the minimalist Bauhaus styling, they would seem to be very much what you're after. {edit}Perhaps Dornbluth might be an option worth looking at too? If that's not too much on the large side for you - all 42mm IIRC.{/edit}
I have seen a few Dornbluth pictures on SF and really liked it. Would it be available in HK though? (as for size, if they do something 40mm and under, I would definitely take a look. Above 40mm might be tough on my wrist) I guess some watches that I have seen and liked are similar to these: http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...14-17_main.jpg http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...22-04_main.jpg To give everyone some context as to what I've gravitated towards. Though +1 on the JLC - that's something I will look out for too. Really like the watch in your avatar, btw, medtech.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raven
I have seen a few Dornbluth pictures on SF and really liked it. Would it be available in HK though? (as for size, if they do something 40mm and under, I would definitely take a look. Above 40mm might be tough on my wrist)
There was a 38mm Dornbluth but I believe it's no longer made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads