1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watch store for Rolex in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pollapo, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Even though discounts for rolexes are hard to get, I heard some SAs let you bring down an amount equal to the sales tax. Or they may just laugh in my face. i'll give it a shot though

You have the money they need...... if they laugh, take your money elsewhere. [​IMG]

Regards.

2. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

No, it should. That's a financially irresponsible statement. There's a huge difference between spending money on a watch and parting with money that goes straight to the government for who-knows-what.

Tell that to hedge fund managers who manage billions and carefully structure every action they take to avoid tax (income, cap gains, etc.)

Shipping their MTM shirts to other homes in other states.....[​IMG]

3. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

If the OP doesn't reside in NY, then he should consider having it shipped to his place of residence. Reduces cost tremendously.

????

Has NYC/NY State changed the law? There's no sales tax if you don't live in NY state and have the retailer ship to your home address-- the equivalent of mail order. Exception may be a retailer that also has a store in your home state.

Thanks, I never knew this and I am a Marylander who has done his share of NYC shopping.

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

You can better discounts on Rolex (yes they exist) by not buying in NY. Discounts can be had, but are easier to find in less affluent cities (it's true). Try some AD's in Florida for example (who do less margin), but you also might want to try Govberg in Philly - great service and they can discount more than some of the big name stores in NY. (at least as much Rolex will allow them to..) Plus no tax if you're not from PA.

5. marg

marg Senior member

i second govberg, but they won't discount the stainless steel models too much. gold or two-tone gives them more to work with. go further out of the way into neighborhood dealers and you'll get a much better deal. dealers will lose their distribution rights if caught by rolex, so most won't negotiate with you unless it's in person. even then, the big names do enough volume that they don't really need to discount.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

last i heard the milgauss was hard to find. sell quick and limited supply. id be curious to know if the places you go to have them available.

7. marg

marg Senior member

standard milgauss is easy to find. gv is harder to find (for retail anyway).

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Because it's intelligent to pay $500 more than you have to right? [​IMG] .
    What a load of bs, sales tax in NYC is 8%+. Why pay that if you don't have to? .
    Well, in that case, I have a better idea: Don't buy a $5000 watch when you don't have to. Since the entire point of a watch that costs more than $100 is to show off the money you wasted, it would be logical to demand paying more in taxes.

9. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

You can better discounts on Rolex (yes they exist) by not buying in NY. Discounts can be had, but are easier to find in less affluent cities (it's true). Try some AD's in Florida for example (who do less margin), but you also might want to try Govberg in Philly - great service and they can discount more than some of the big name stores in NY. (at least as much Rolex will allow them to..) Plus no tax if you're not from PA.
    +1 Besides the fact that you shouldn't even be buying a Rolex (so many other, better choices), the biggest discount you'll get in NYC is 10% off of retail on Rolex. You can try going to the diamond district at a store on 47th and 6th avenue. A coworker of mine is in the process of buying a JLC from this store. They claim that they can get you a watch with stamped papers from the Authorized Dealer and that it is would be the same as purchasing from the AD themselves. I believe they can do Rolex for 15-20% off. They literally have millions of dollars worth of watches in their store. Otherwise, I'd stay away from NY for Rolex as stated above.

10. Blake686

Blake686 Senior member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Does the model have a large impact on the amount ADs are willnig to discount Rolex? I am thinking of a GMT II in SS, but since this is a popular model I was wondering if any discount is still possible. Thanks in advance.

11. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Yes. Rolex has tight controls on its authorized dealers. Generally SS can only be discounted about 5%, two tone 10%, and gold/plat 15%. Daytona is usually sold at or above list. Other finer watches can be found for 15-25% below list at AD.