• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch shopping

chicagobull

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new wristwatch, and had a few questions that I was hoping you all could help answer. I want a watch for every day wear, that can be dressed up or casual. I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to Seiko kinetic and Citizen ecodrive, as I like the convenience of not having to get new batteries, as well as the fact that they both have good warranties. Anyways, here are the questions:

Which brand is considered to be more "prestigious"?
Should I buy titanium or stainless steel?
Does titanium scratch considerably less than stainless steel?
Would you recommend buying a watch online for a lower price? or having the convenience of buying from a jeweler/department store for reliable service?

Thanks, your answers will be much appreciated

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a solar-cell watch? You never need to replace the cell, unlike with batteries. Another nice option is the "atomic" watch--probably misnamed. These are watches that can pick up the radio signal from Fort Collins, Colorado (based on the "atomic clock" in nearby Boulder, Colo.) and remain exactly right at all times. The watches are set up to automatically access the signal once a day, and the wearer can push a button to access the signal any time. The idea of always being within 1/2 sec. of the exact correct time really appeals to me! Casio make solar atomics, but the best ones are made by the German company Junghans. The Junghans solar atomics are very nice looking--more attractive in my opinion than either Seiko or Citizen. They're not cheap, but not too bad on eBay. The one I like best of these is the solar atomic that has a ceramic case. It's just a beautiful watch that keeps basically perfect time.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chicagobull
Which brand is considered to be more "prestigious"?
Should I buy titanium or stainless steel?
Does titanium scratch considerably less than stainless steel?
Would you recommend buying a watch online for a lower price? or having the convenience of buying from a jeweler/department store for reliable service?

Thanks, your answers will be much appreciated

Seiko
Stainless Steel
No
Yes

Also, look aat the wonderful Seiko auto's. They also never need a battery.

Ed13

Reaction score
Neither Seiko or Citizen are "prestigious". If you are looking for this, get ready to spend a lot more money. If you want a decent, reliable watch then either are probably OK. I have had a Seiko for over 15 years and it still works fine.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Personally, given the choice between a Seiko and Citizen, I think I'd pick Seiko. It's been several years since I shopped for a quartz watch, but I think I've seen the two brands side by side and at least then, the Seikos looked nicer...to me.

However I think you're getting some good advice to expand the search before you throw out the lassoo.

Well, I "think" it's good advice but then again I sometimes get WAY confused and keep expanding...expanding...E X P A N D I N G the process and drive myself nuts before making a decision. I wind up being more "materialistic" than I intended to be.

Have fun and let us know what you decided and how you liked it. Others here may benefit from your decision.

Jerry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads