1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watch recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, May 16, 2006.

1. s0upb0ne

s0upb0ne Member

I agree with the JLC Reverso...great watch and it is timeless. You may also may want to look at the IWC Portuguese ( I think it fits in you budget )if you are looking for a "round" watch.

Wait on the Patek....get the one that you want..not one that you have to budget to get used.

Forget about Rolex..great watches ...but every gas station owner and pawn shop owner has one

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did you read the price range in the original post?

well there's always the chinese 1 minute tourbillons and the Shellman quartz repeaters [​IMG]

I like your suggestion on going cheap. I would add to that by saying stick to under 3K (tons of well known, great brands in that range, Omega, Longines etc) and maybe consider getting a solid sports and dress watch watch, which can easily be done staying under 3K.

3. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

Yes, I agree with the JLC recommendation. A number of their models will put the buyer in the middle of the price range that was given. For something that the very low end of that range, the Omega Seamasters are classic.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

well there's always the chinese 1 minute tourbillons and the Shellman quartz repeaters [​IMG]

ha ha - let's hope the lifespan of the watch is not an indication of the duration of the marriage [​IMG]

5. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

something also to consider is the function/ use of your wristwatch....for example, if you're typically wearing the watch with suits, I agree with those recommending JLC-- what a great watch, no matter what the model of reverso.

however, if you're looking for a watch that you plan to wear for work in a more casual environment, with casual clothes/ weekends, etc. you might want to consider something with a little more beef to it. Here's the watch I plan to buy (after much consideration) within the next 3-4 months (I own a stainless steel reverso for my dress watch, and have been looking for a casual watch):

http://www.watchclick.com/store/item...sp?itemid=4008

6. gdl203

something also to consider is the function/ use of your wristwatch....for example, if you're typically wearing the watch with suits, I agree with those recommending JLC-- what a great watch, no matter what the model of reverso.

however, if you're looking for a watch that you plan to wear for work in a more casual environment, with casual clothes/ weekends, etc. you might want to consider something with a little more beef to it. Here's the watch I plan to buy (after much consideration) within the next 3-4 months (I own a stainless steel reverso for my dress watch, and have been looking for a casual watch):

http://www.watchclick.com/store/item...sp?itemid=4008

Have you considered a Speedmaster as well?

7. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I'm actually quite impressed with my Shellman Grand Complication. My Blancpain now resides in parts unknown, courtesy of some burglars, and I decided not to lay down the cash for a replacement. The Shellman fits the role of a day-to-day dress watch quite nicely, for an even thousand.

NEVER own an expensive watch without separately scheduling it on your insurance.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm actually quite impressed with my Shellman Grand Complication. My Blancpain now resides in parts unknown, courtesy of some burglars, and I decided not to lay down the cash for a replacement. The Shellman fits the role of a day-to-day dress watch quite nicely, for an even thousand.

NEVER own an expensive watch without separately scheduling it on your insurance.

Yes, the shellman is actually quite a nice watch. My [​IMG] was more for the 1 minute tourbillons. Sorry to hear about that Blancpain, that had to hurt.

9. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I am a fan of Franck Muller. They used to hold an more exclusive air, but you will not see many people with them still. They have a nice tonneau shape to them and can be had in your price range.

10. DGP

DGP Senior member

Really? I love about all of JLC's designs, with the exception of the whole Compressor range. I especially love Reversos [​IMG] - probably started when watching the Thomas Crown affair...

[​IMG]

I agree 100% with your assessment of the brand, and I, too, believe that the OP cannot go wrong here, assuming he finds one he likes. The only thing I disagree with is your opinion o fthe Compressor range. I don't like most of them, as I think the positions of the crowns looks odd. However, I went almost weak in the knees when I first saw the new Compressor Chrono. Now that is a watch! I would also tell the OP to check out Glashutte, as they also make great pieces for the money.

11. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Listen, get a JLC Reverso Grande Date, GMT, or the new Automatique...

whoever tells you this is a "decent" watch is on crack. JLC makes some of the best watches in the world. Patek, Vacheron, Lange are certainly in a higher category, but with a handwound reverso you're talking about an inhouse, form movement (not common in tank style watches) with top quality finishing. In my opinion, there are few watches I'd want to own under 10k besides the Reverso.

12. gdl203

I would also tell the OP to check out Glashutte, as they also make great pieces for the money.

I definitely agree with that. Here's what's on my wrist today

[​IMG]

However, we're pushing towards the higher end of that range here...

13. DGP

DGP Senior member

However, we're pushing towards the higher end of that range here...

Some of the less complicated Senators retail for under $5k.

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

If you're looking for one watch you can wear everywhere, you can't do any better than the Blancpain Aqua Lung:

http://people.timezone.com/msandler/.../Aqualung.html

Get it with the bracelet. Mine is currently in New Jersey being serviced and having the bracelet attached.

15. SJX

SJX Senior member

Would be to visit websites and retail stores and find a watch that speaks to you. There are literally thousands of watches to choose from, and tens of models from the brands already named.

Some brands not yet mentioned you can look at are IWC, Audemars Piguet, Girard Perregaux and Chopard L.U.C. I personally favour Lange, as mentioned you can get an 1815, though it's close to the upper end of your price range.

Most important is to find something that appeals to you.

16. saddleoxford

saddleoxford Member

If you're looking for a new watch with a vintage feel, that you can wear in both a casual and a dressy setting, the Omega Railmaster XXL is a great way to go. Here is a picture of mine. Cost: $2500.

[​IMG][/IMG]

17. Catchcall

Catchcall Member

My daily watch:

[​IMG]

It's an early Bubbleback Explorer that I got in Japan of all places!

18. Stax

Stax Senior member

19. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

[​IMG]

Sublime!

20. royal618

royal618 Senior member

or a Panerai for that matter.... [​IMG]