1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watch recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, May 16, 2006.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

My soon to be fiancee has requested that I compile a list of suggestions for watches that I would like to receive as an engagement/wedding gift. I know very little about watches other than that I like very simple looking dress watches (think Zip's Patek and other watch that he posted recently), and the same general preferences hold for sport watches, but they can be a little more complicated. So, would you be so kind as to make suggestions distributed through the price range from $1700-9000 of both sport watches and dress watches with automatic or mechanical movements? Is there any way to touch a new Patek at the upper end of the given price range. Thank you all for your help.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

You have all your life to get a Patek. I wouldn't worry about that...

I am of the opinion that JLC generally offers the most watch for the buck. Great classic designs, fantastic history as a manufacture, reasonable prices. + one can generally get them at decent discount

Just my $0.02

EDIT: first step for you is to get the Wristwatch Annual 2006, flip through all these pages and figure out what you like and may fit your budget. Then, ask for opinions on your top picks here and on TimeZone

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

At that price range, there are about 500 mechanical watches that you can buy. You need to be a little more specific both with what you are looking for and a tighter price range. You can get a used PP Calatrava at the upper end of your price range, along with a plethora of other high end watches.

You might want to start at www.watchfinder.net

You'll find a long list of manufacturers which he has links to their websites. He also gives you a little blurb on the quality and value of each. His watch models database is dated, but it is a good starting point. Keep in mind that retail watch prices are very flexible, to the downside (unless you go Rolex or PP).

4. edmorel

You have all your life to get a Patek. I wouldn't worry about that...

I am of the opinion that JLC generally offers the most watch for the buck. Great classic designs, fantastic history as a manufacture, reasonable prices. + one can generally get them at decent discount

Just my $0.02

EDIT: first step for you is to get the Wristwatch Annual 2006, flip through all these pages andd figure out what you like and may fit your budget. Then, ask for opinions on your top picks here and on TimeZone

I am of the opinion that JLC represents the best value in the high-end market, unfortunately I am not too keen on most of their models. I do want to eventually pick up a second hand Gran Sport Chrono, as the movement is one of the best modern hand wound chronos. Guess it wasn't selling though, as they discontinued the model. Their movements are put into a lot of the other big guy's (e.g. Panerai) watches, which they in turn sell for huge sums.

5. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Yeah, I know it's a big price range, but that's what she asked about. So, I guess sport watches from $1700-4500 and dress watches from $4500-9000. Thanks for your help.

6. gdl203

I am of the opinion that JLC represents the best value in the high-end market, unfortunately I am not too keen on most of their models.

Really? I love about all of JLC's designs, with the exception of the whole Compressor range. I especially love Reversos [​IMG] - probably started when watching the Thomas Crown affair...

[​IMG]

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Yeah, I know it's a big price range, but that's what she asked about. So, I guess sport watches from $1700-4500 and dress watches from $4500-9000. Thanks for your help.
    How about checking out RGM? They are great value too, and American-made. I love the guilloche dials on a lot of their models.

Here is an authorized dealer with some nice prices: http://www.watchseller.com/rgmwatches.html I've been eyeing the William Penn moophase with the blue alligator strap, which I think is so cool (but, please, feel free to buy it)

Good luck.

8. gdl203

Another idea, considering it is a meaningful gift, why not get a simple Reverso (I know... [​IMG] [​IMG] ) and have the back engraved with initials? [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

The JLC Reverso Grande Date... I love it.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I am of the opinion that JLC generally offers the most watch for the buck.

[​IMG]

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Patek, etc. can be had in that range if you go vintage or pre-owned.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Patek, etc. can be had in that range if you go vintage or pre-owned.

I know that I'm preaching to the choir when any matter to do with vintage arises but............http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

They're giving them away.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

14. bebmak

bebmak Member

The JLC Reverso Grande Date... I love it.

I second that,I own the Grande Date and it is an incredible watch with an 8 day power reserve almost unheard of in a watch at this price point.
    I paid $4750 for a very lightly used model.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

16. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I know some will jump down my throat for this, but I'd take a look at Rolex, if not to buy, then perhaps for inspiration. To my eye, they make some classic looking dress and sport watches, as long as you avoid the "bling" factor. I've had a simple oyster perpetual datejust for several years now. Stainless steel with a white face and roman numerals. It's simple, understated, runs great, and can be used in both a dress and a casual situation. For sport watches, I've always loved the look of the Rolex Submariner in stainless with a black face (I just bought the Seiko diver copy of this - obviously a completely different price range).

Also, IWC has, to my eye, some really classic looking dress watches.

Of course, if your fiancee is willing to spend up to $9,000, you should be able to get quite a watch.

17. edmorel

What is your wrist size? Do you prefer a round, tank, or tonneau case? Will this be an everyday watch or more of a special-occasion watch?

If I was in your position, I would ask for a Lange 1815 or Vacheron Constantin Malte Grande Classique. I think you might be able to get these watches NIB at the very end of your price range, with discount.

http://www.paladinltd.net/Lange1815.htm

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=1840403&rid=0

Richard at Paladin is the man!!!! Very well respected in the watch community, honorable, great prices and has been around that business forever. BTW, in his opinion, Lange is currently the best made watch. He prefers that brand over all others, FWIW.

18. gdl203

Take my advice for what it's worth, but I would not recommend to jump to the higher end of that price range. Not the best way to start a marriage IMO. If someone gives you a range (especially this wide of a range), I find a bit greedy to gravitate towards the higher part of it...

There are a lot of great watches out there in the $3-6k range that you shouldn't have to impose the purchase of a Lange or Patek on her. Plus, I don't know how many fine watches you have but if this is your first expensive watch, I find it a bit ridiculous to shoot for Patek, VC or Lange. If some guy asked here what suit he should buy as his first well-constructed suit, nobody would tell him to go for a Kiton as a first suit...

Also on the point of vintage vs. new, I consider that vintage watches are not the most appropriate choice for a gift. Your fiancee will feel bad if the watch starts running poorly, or if after some time you realize that parts of the watch are not original... or tons of other little issues that are inherent to the purchase of a vintage timepiece.

19. di Robilant

di Robilant Member

Let me see: it should appear first that we may safely rule-out sports watches; I also have the impression that you favour the more old-fashioned, thinner watches (as opposed to the more fashionable, larger-scaled timepieces); finally, something tells me that you are not particularly impressed with 'complications', for example, sonnerie, tourbillon, minute repeaters, etc.

In order properly to advise you, one must know also your physical characteristics, occupation and wardrobe accompaniments (to your fine wristwatch). Having said this, I should advise you to consider a (used) "Breguet". The name Breguet is writ large in horological history and, given the trend towards Dick Tracy-scaled timepieces, there are bargains to be had; its current re-sale value is however, for the same reason, somewhat depressed. That said, its history alone will see it re-emerge triumphant one day.

When you can afford it, check out Breguet's 'Reine de Naples' model for your fine lady[​IMG]

Finally, do try, in time, to acquire two or three wristwatches: (1) sports (e.g., Audemars Piguet 'Royal Oak Offshore'); (2) dress; (3) evening (e.g., Patek 'Night and Day').

20. gdl203

sonnerie, tourbillon, minute repeaters, etc.
    (e.g., Audemars Piguet 'Royal Oak Offshore'); (2) dress; (3) evening (e.g., Patek 'Night and Day').

Did you read the price range in the original post?