• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Question, Please Help!!

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Watchmaxx.com to purchase any watches?
I have wanted a Longines watch and found one at Tourneau for $2500 but online its $2000.

Would anyone trust buying an expensive piece like that online? Or should I shell out the extra $500 and have piece of mind by buying it in the store?

Thanks in advance!
Justin

ganagati

Reaction score
The less you know about watches, the better off you are purchasing from an Authorized Dealer. Most online dealers, aka grey market dealers, are reputable, but there is always a chance they're selling a replica without knowing it. Additionally, purchasing from Tourneau will ensure you get the manufacturer's warranty, while they grey market dealers won't.

Out of curiosity, which watch are you looking at? $2500 seems expensive for a brand such as Longines.

Edit: After looking at the website, I see that they are offering a 2 year warranty, which is equivalent most manufacturer's warranties. They're also guaranteeing the boxes, but no mention of the papers. If that's the case, may as well save yourself $500, but keep in mind that not having the papers will hurt the resale value.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The less you know about watches, the better off you are purchasing from an Authorized Dealer. Most online dealers, aka grey market dealers, are reputable, but there is always a chance they're selling a replica without knowing it. Additionally, purchasing from Tourneau will ensure you get the manufacturer's warranty, while they grey market dealers won't.

Out of curiosity, which watch are you looking at? $2500 seems expensive for a brand such as Longines.

thanks for that information, it definitely makes sense!

Here is what I am looking at:

longines.jpg

I have had my eye on this piece for close to 2 years and I told myself that I would only buy it if I got promoted. I got promoted in September and still havent bought it yet. I guess now is the time.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I hear that Longines manufactures movements for a lot of other high end watches and that it is one of the best watches for the money as far as movement is concerned.

The styling on this piece is perfect for what I wear and I think it would be a great addition to my wardrobe.

Another question I had was that someone recommended I get an additional warranty outside of the 3 years that Tourneau provides, any feedback or opinion on that? it costs $200 for the additional warranty.

ganagati

Reaction score
It would be an enormous leap to say that Longines produces their own movement, let alone a movement for another company. They are a part of Swatch Group, who also owns ETA (the company producing ebauchs for many watch manufacturers), and all of their movements are ETA based.

Don't let that bother you, though. If it is a watch in your price range and one that you love, buy it, wear it, and enjoy it.

As for extended warranties.... I can't recall any time that they are recommended.

Last edited:

ganagati

Reaction score
If you are interested in purchasing an in-house movement, one option would be Zenith.

They produce many movements that are used in higher end pieces - until not too long ago, one could be found in Rolex's Daytona.

The Zenith Port Royal El Primo is similar to the Longines you have pictured and is similarly priced.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're joking, right?

ASH007

Reaction score
Agree, Zenith is one of the finest....but very little known in the US

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you are set on Longines, but have you checked out any other watches somewhere in that price range? Stowa, Sinn, Hamilton, Zenith, Archimede, (Higher End) Sea-Gull, (Higher End / Japanese) Seiko?

mikep

Reaction score
I have bought a few watches from them and very happy with all purchases, they have great prices and great service

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads