• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch over sleeve?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what the persons name is who used to always wear their watch over their sleeve. If anyone knows it would be appreciated.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i believe gianni agnelli was one of them interno 8, which is a roman men's clothier headed by angelo galasso, made a shirt for agnelli called the polso orologio, whereby the cuff was specially designed with a cut out so that the watch could sit on top of the sleeve cuff and the face of the watch would be exposed but the watch band would be covered by the shirt sleeve (sort of a double cuff with a cut out) if you go to www.interno8.net, go to the menu tab and you will see a picture of it as the icon for the products link (the shirt itself is in the mason style)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
interno 8, which is a roman men's clothier headed by angelo galasso, made a shirt for agnelli called the polso orologio, whereby the cuff was specially designed with a cut out so that the watch could sit on top of the sleeve cuff and the face of the watch would be exposed but the watch band would be covered by the shirt sleeve (sort of a double cuff with a cut out)
Sounds like a bad idea made worse.

thelakes

Reaction score
I believe the reason he was allergic to metal or some such thing.

Nonk

Reaction score
I believe the reason he was allergic to metal or some such thing.

That explains a lot about the construction of some of his cars.

fkl118

Reaction score
A lot of people are allergic to nickel and chrome; maybe he needed a solid gold watch, or a plastic Nike one with velcro straps.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(hermes @ 24 Dec. 2004, 10:46) interno 8, which is a roman men's clothier headed by angelo galasso, made a shirt for agnelli called the polso orologio, whereby the cuff was specially designed with a cut out so that the watch could sit on top of the sleeve cuff and the face of the watch would be exposed but the watch band would be covered by the shirt sleeve (sort of a double cuff with a cut out)
Sounds like a bad idea made worse.
It was actually very popular for a while with people like P. Diddy etc.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people wearing their heart on their sleeve, but never a watch, why would one do that?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i believe gianni agnelli was one of them interno 8, which is a roman men's clothier headed by angelo galasso, made a shirt for agnelli called the polso orologio, whereby the cuff was specially designed with a cut out so that the watch could sit on top of the sleeve cuff and the face of the watch would be exposed but the watch band would be covered by the shirt sleeve (sort of a double cuff with a cut out) if you go to www.interno8.net, go to the menu tab and you will see a picture of it as the icon for the products link (the shirt itself is in the mason style)
I have to say, I think Interno 8's claim is bullshit. Various magazine articles state that their Polso Orologio shirt was designed for or inspired by or reminiscent of Agnelli's watch-shirt habit. It appears that they've managed by coy obfuscation to give the impression they made the shirt for Agnelli. Apart from their puff PR, I've never heard a thing about Agnelli having some weird skin condition reactive to metal (makes me think of the Black Sab classic "Iron Man"). I really must take Interno 8 with a shaker of salt.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought Agnelli wore the original Brooks "Polo" button down (see Roetzel, Gentleman, at page 65). Another picture of Agnelli and watch over shirt cuff appears on page 227-the denim sportshirt Agnelli wears doesn't have a double cuff.

armscye

Reaction score
The current icon of this style is Luciano Barbera.

I have read the biography of Agnelli, which mentions no skin conditions. My understanding of the "watch over cuff" style is that it is popular in Italy because Italian shirts often use a close-fitted cuff, which would prevent any substantial watch from being worn. That said, I've seen several photos of Agnelli wearing BB shirts (often with double-breasted Caraceni suits, mind you), with a slim watch over the rather loose Brooks cuff. So apparently it was style in his case rather than necessity.

thelakes

Reaction score
Interno 8
Importing shirts to London, home of Turnbull & Asser, is a bit like carrying coals to Newcastle. But that hasn't stopped the Italian shirtmaker Inferno 8 from opening a shop on Beauchamp Place. Its secret weapon: the Polso Orologio, a French-cuffed shirt with a semicircle cutout created for Gianni Agnelli, the stylish tycoon whose rare allergic condition won't let him wear a watch that touches his skin. Call 011-44-207-838-1258

From the sep 00 esquire.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought Agnelli wore the original Brooks "Polo" button down (see Roetzel, Gentleman, at page 65). Another picture of Agnelli and watch over shirt cuff appears on page 227-the denim sportshirt Agnelli wears doesn't have a double cuff.
I also believe that Agnelli notoriously preferred BB shirts. I don't even know if Interno's been around long enough to have been making special hypoallergenic watch cuffs for Gianni -- I'd wager they weren't when he began doing it. The piece in esquire is simply repeating or paraphrasing what Interno and earlier puff pieces have said. I'll believe Agnelli had a skin condition when his doctor tells me; I also can't believe he'd wear as spivvy a shirt as Interno makes, which essentially appears to be for guidos who shop in Mayfair. I mean, as an Italian magnate, wouldn't he have worn a bit of metal jewelry -- a chain, rings, a bracelet, whatever? Is Interno going to market the shirt with a special channel for a gold chain to avoid the skin next?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads